2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robertson got a heap of it inside and out as a junior and might become a good inside mid. I do think that is his position. With that said though I think it is far from certain and he has not really looked like winning much on the inside in his AFL games so far. So I am hopeful but I think it is a long way from certain that he answers the need there.

One inside mid I have liked so far from the VFL has been Josh Green playing for GWS. Big inside mid similar to his brother. He lacks a bit of pace but I think he will be a player. Could be a nice midyear pick up from under GWSs nose.

On Smith it looked very much like he was being set as a forward / ruck when he played in the VFL. When Archie went down he still rucked very little even at VFL level. That being the case I would support us picking up a tap ruck prospect to quietly develop in the background.

Tbh I think that's more to do with his in game instructions rather than an inability to win contested ball.

Robertson got a heap of it inside and out as a junior and might become a good inside mid. I do think that is his position. With that said though I think it is far from certain and he has not really looked like winning much on the inside in his AFL games so far. So I am hopeful but I think it is a long way from certain that he answers the need there.

One inside mid I have liked so far from the VFL has been Josh Green playing for GWS. Big inside mid similar to his brother. He lacks a bit of pace but I think he will be a player. Could be a nice midyear pick up from under GWSs nose.

On Smith it looked very much like he was being set as a forward / ruck when he played in the VFL. When Archie went down he still rucked very little even at VFL level. That being the case I would support us picking up a tap ruck prospect to quietly develop in the background.

Josh Green sounds like he could be worth a gamble

Exactly what I have been saying about the mid season draft.

We’ll be selecting outside the top end talent, and unless every team goes a young ruck, there should be 2 or 3 available at our selection.

Looking at Lore's as the ladder stands now draft selections, as of now at the end of the year we would have picks 14, 18 and the next would be 49. Looking likely that our 2 first round selections could end up as high teens picks.

We are also a good chance to try and trade out our 2022 1st round selection as father/son Will Ashcroft is a highly rated prospect and may go near the top of the draft. I don't see us getting offered too much for that though as clubs are likely to think we would be at the pointy end of the ladder come 2022 as well.

May end up having 3 late 1st round selections this year, a good position to be in and will be interesting to see what our list management team do with them.... edit- try to do with them.

Could all depend on if we have any trade targets this year as well. We are in the position where we have 2 first round picks, which can be handy to take to the draft, otherwise they make for decent trade currency. Just feels like we have been carrying an extra first round pick for a few years, keeping it up our sleeves for something. Hopefully we can attract more FAs than trades though so we can still keep a trickle of young talent coming through.

Looking at Lore's as the ladder stands now draft selections, as of now at the end of the year we would have picks 14, 18 and the next would be 49. Looking likely that our 2 first round selections could end up as high teens picks.

We are also a good chance to try and trade out our 2022 1st round selection as father/son Will Ashcroft is a highly rated prospect and may go near the top of the draft. I don't see us getting offered too much for that though as clubs are likely to think we would be at the pointy end of the ladder come 2022 as well.

May end up having 3 late 1st round selections this year, a good position to be in and will be interesting to see what our list management team do with them.... edit- try to do with them.
My opinion is our 2022 first round pick will garner more in trade next year than this year, regardless of our finishing position.

My opinion is our 2022 first round pick will garner more in trade next year than this year, regardless of our finishing position.

Collingwood trading theirs last year and it likely turning it a top 5 pick is proving to be very stupid- they would get way more for it at this years trade period than last, and still avoid it being wiped in a bid.

Collingwood trading theirs last year and it likely turning it a top 5 pick is proving to be very stupid- they would get way more for it at this years trade period than last, and still avoid it being wiped in a bid.

But would we rather pick 20 this year or pick 10 in 2023?

Plus our luck with future firsts isn’t great

Have been running the ‘what to do’ through the brain. Firstly, we need to go back to the well and use those two first rounders. With next years first rounder I would trade back into this years even for two low picks in the twenties as I do trust our recruitment/drafting (looking at you Suns). Watching a small sample of the VFL there seems to not be a lot of depth in ‘youth’ that are quality IMO and it might be the time to bring some more in.

I did see Quigley’s post about a KPF as a need which did start the wheels turning. I think we do need a better young KPF coming through and it might be wise to see if this is the year as we know they take awhile. I still lean towards HBF and mid though at this stage.

But would we rather pick 20 this year or pick 10 in 2023?

Plus our luck with future firsts isn’t great

I have no issue trading it if we get a decent deal, and if we are certain ashcroft will be a high (say top 10) pick, and we are certain he will nominate us. That is a lot of ifs. Of course, if we want to trade our future first to bring in a quality player then I'd be in favour of that.

Retaining the pick gives us flexibility though, and we shouldn't discount that when thinking about our options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps see what we can get this year first, if it's of not much use than hold out until 2022. Generally though I think it's a wiser move to hold onto it barring a godfather offer
If we could get a late first round pick this year, I’d do it.

But looking at the track record of our clubs pick trading, we’d most likely end up with a second round pick this year and a second round pick next year.

My opinion again, is we don’t have to be that active in the draft this year.

And if we look like having a couple of decent academy kids next year, plus Ashcroft, we don’t have to be that active next year either.

I’m happy to push an extra first round pick in to 2023. Gives us a chance to regenerate our list when Neale, Lyons, Rich and Zorko are at, or nearing the end, of their careers.

Have been running the ‘what to do’ through the brain. Firstly, we need to go back to the well and use those two first rounders. With next years first rounder I would trade back into this years even for two low picks in the twenties as I do trust our recruitment/drafting (looking at you Suns). Watching a small sample of the VFL there seems to not be a lot of depth in ‘youth’ that are quality IMO and it might be the time to bring some more in.

I did see Quigley’s post about a KPF as a need which did start the wheels turning. I think we do need a better young KPF coming through and it might be wise to see if this is the year as we know they take awhile. I still lean towards HBF and mid though at this stage.
Carter Micheal is doing very well as a hbf according to development coaches,

It’s early days for this season, but there doesn’t appear to be much KPP talent this outside of WA and GWV this year.

Though admittedly the focus in the NAB League has been the 19 year olds so far this season.

However, there’s already been a little discussion about the number and quality of the KPP’s in next year’s draft.

seeing both our firsts going to be late ones.
If we go for someone like Merrett we might end up with third round as our first pick.
So can see we could in that scenario trade our next year first to get into 2021 draft.

Admit not reading this thread until now........didn't realise the midyear draft was upon us already...

...anyhoo, heard McCluggage jnr mentioned on SEN this morning, are we likely to take him?

If we go for someone like Merrett we might end up with third round as our first pick.
So can see we could in that scenario trade our next year first to get into 2021 draft.
Merrett is a free agent. We don't need to trade our first round picks.

Merrett is a restricted free agent, so if we offer the right contract, Essendon receive a first round compensation pick right after their first pick.

If we have to trade for Merrett, because Essendon decide to match our offer, you know Dodoro is going to want 3 first round picks because they’ll all be late picks.

The other part of your post is trading our 2022 first round pick in to 2021’s first round.

The strength of this draft appears to be depth of the top 30 talent.

At this stage, I struggle to see a team with a late first round pick willing to trade it out for a future late first round pick, particularly if we’ve strengthened our midfield ahead of next season.

The one possibility is if young Burgoyne pushes his way up to be a mid to late first round pick and Port need to trade out their 2021 first round pick because a bid has come before their pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back