Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked good in warm-up, drills and 1st qtr of match sim. Hopefully just process of managing his work load.
Wardy told me last week that he got a sore foot, so maybe has never recovered 100%.

Finn has also not participated in the match sims, he was pointing to his left knee (or maybe left leg) when he was talking to the staff.

Went out to training this morning, was super impressed with most of the boys.

Weddle not only running off at every chance but seemed a lot more confident in marking situations which was great.

CJ was dominating one of the wings for a lot of the match sim. Looked to have his spring back and I reckon this could be a really good move.

The starting midfield for the first couple of quarters was Nash, Duke and Worpel who dominated. After that things changed up a bit with switches. Croc moved into centre bounces and along with Nash, was clearing everything for their team.

Chol, really really excited with what he can bring. Took a couple of nice grabs but also absolutely crunched Frenchie in a desperate lunge tackle in F50, this brought a lot of noise from everyone and Sammy looked chuffed.

Ginnivan is definitely a lock for Rd1. Great set shot and movement around the ground. Even attended a couple of centre bounces. Kicked 3 or so for the match sim.

Watson another that I think is pretty much a lock, some awesome pick ups on the run. Has such a big belief in his own ability that it allows him to just act instinctively.

Bodie Ryan really impressed me today, already a decent size and has a lot of go about him, won’t die wondering kind of kid.

McCabe another, already looks like he could play but just not as a KP yet. In time I think we’ve got a really good player on our hands. Moves well and is good in the air.

Dimma playing forward is happening, didn’t see him switch back once. Kicked one or two as well.

Sugar Stephens tries but I just don’t know if he has ‘it’. Same with Bailey McDonald unfortunately, just not sold. Obviously young but I just think there are better options he won’t get past.

Scrim looking in great shape, played CHB for about of where I saw him.

Those are my thoughts for now, go hawks!

Can't wait for Kingy to do an analysis on our forward 50 strategy on Fox Footy.

Mostly for the workshopped name he'll give it.

I'm hoping for 'Mabior Small Ball'. Kick it long to Chol, either he marks and goals or it spills to a fleet of smalls who clean up.

Mitch Lewis will have to play up the ground because his name doesn't works with the pun, nor is he small.

You just know Kingy was gonna criticise Weddle after Kane pumped him up
Ha! Yeah that’s what I thought too! Those two love a scrap.

You just know Kingy was gonna criticise Weddle after Kane pumped him up

😂 didn’t think of this angle.

Kingy can miss the mark quite a bit but found him to be usually not far off especially the last few seasons. Can’t knock him - he gets down to trainings and puts in the time. Would be nice if some other media commentators followed suit

Overall I think it's a pretty fair and balanced analysis from Kingy to be honest.

You could (and probably still can?) say the same thing about CJ, especially in his earlier seasons, where he would dash and not really know what to do next. Sometimes get caught or end up having to go backwards, nullifying the line-breaking run. No doubt it's something you improve on as you get more experience but Weddle did get lost on a few of his runs last season. He will only get better though! If BMac's kicking improves and he gets into our 22 our running power is going to be ******* absurd

Probably fair criticism for Weddle. I likened him to a Golden Retriever last year. His decision making chain is get the ball and run but can run himself into trouble. The good thing from what I've seen so far is he's such a power athlete that he has the tools to get himself out of trouble.

CJ did it a fair bit when he was first coming on as well. Was starting to make better decisions before his body started to break down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some things from match Sim
Mabior at home, Lewis roamed
Scrimma played as a chb
Blanck looked solid
Wiz excited and was electrifying
CJ and Weddle have been given the licence to run and gun - doesn't always pay off but when it does it looks good - both need to work on delivery
Moore had time in the middle, wing and also as a forward
Frenchie has so much time with the ball but got crunched by Chol at one stage
Dimma played forward - think it's a thing we'll see for at least a few weeks
Finn left the track before match Sim - wasn't feeling right
Ward did one quarter of match sim but Hale said he should be in full training by the end of next week
Newcombe copped a small knock and sat out part of the match simulation

With all this talk of Scrim playing CHB, where does it potentially leave Frost?

He's not in most of our best 22's but I think most of us were still expecting him to line up round 1 against Essendon. Is he now behind Scrim and Blanck?

He's not in most of our best 22's but I think most of us were still expecting him to line up round 1 against Essendon. Is he now behind Scrim and Blanck?
i believe it will be matchup dependent

We played Scrim at CHB for the last month of the season.

Beat the Dogs and Pies. Honourable loss vs the Dees. Disappointing vs Freo.

I don't think Frost is considered in Sam's plans going forward.

It will be match up dependent - in the last half of the Sim, it was Blanck, Weddle, Scrimma, Sicily, frost

Some things from match Sim
Mabior at home, Lewis roamed
Scrimma played as a chb
Blanck looked solid
Wiz excited and was electrifying
CJ and Weddle have been given the licence to run and gun - doesn't always pay off but when it does it looks good - both need to work on delivery
Moore had time in the middle, wing and also as a forward
Frenchie has so much time with the ball but got crunched by Chol at one stage
Dimma played forward - think it's a thing we'll see for at least a few weeks
Finn left the track before match Sim - wasn't feeling right
Ward did one quarter of match sim but Hale said he should be in full training by the end of next week
Newcombe copped a small knock and sat out part of the match simulation

the key thing I'm interested in next is where Weddle & CJ are putting the ball & how well they are doing it... hill & Smith mastered this over time..

Weddles decision making & execution esp under heat will determine how quickly he rises up the ranks

Probably fair criticism for Weddle. I likened him to a Golden Retriever last year. His decision making chain is get the ball and run but can run himself into trouble. The good thing from what I've seen so far is he's such a power athlete that he has the tools to get himself out of trouble.

CJ did it a fair bit when he was first coming on as well. Was starting to make better decisions before his body started to break down.
Yep agree he doesn’t know what he is going to do with it a lot of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back