Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

Why? Isn't this a forum to discuss injuries?

It was a freak injury. Every player does the action that he got injured doing every game of the year.

Unfortunately sometimes the worst possible luck strikes. Such is the nature of the physical demand of playing AFL football

Perhaps you did. We have 3 players on our list with ACL injuries in the past 12 months. Questions need and should be asked. Are all these injuries just pure bad luck??

If you want to blame someone your angst should perhaps be directed towards list management for being significantly less risk adverse than some other clubs

This was a freak injury that genuinely could have happened to any player in the competition at any given training session or game.

Bailey Smith did a similar injury recently.

I still think there's something going on with our training surface but that's another regurgitated discussion that's been done to death.

Perhaps you did. We have 3 players on our list with ACL injuries in the past 12 months. Questions need and should be asked. Are all these injuries just pure bad luck??
How do you know questions havent/aren't being asked?
And i mean by people within the club, and not internet plebs like you, me and nearly everyone else here.
Seriously, try and apply a little bit of common sense here. This is a professional club run by some of the best men and women in their chosen fields. You don't think they would have met after this (and other incidents and discussed, amongst other things:
1. How did this happen
2. Was their any inclination that this was going to happen
3. Could it have been prevented
4. Is this related to his previous injury
5. We're the training loads right
6. Was this just pure, dumb bad luck

Or do you really think everyone just shrugged their shoulders and went about their business.

A little bit of critical thinking before posting the first thing that comes into your head would go a long way.

If you want to blame someone your angst should perhaps be directed towards list management for being significantly less risk adverse than some other clubs

This was a freak injury that genuinely could have happened to any player in the competition at any given training session or game.

Bailey Smith did a similar injury recently.

I still think there's something going on with our training surface but that's another regurgitated discussion that's been done to death.
I agree. If it's the surface it needs to be looked at. Cotrell worth foot stress fracture this time last year and now Pittonet is in a Moonboot??

How do you know questions havent/aren't being asked?
And i mean by people within the club, and not internet plebs like you, me and nearly everyone else here.
Seriously, try and apply a little bit of common sense here. This is a professional club run by some of the best men and women in their chosen fields. You don't think they would have met after this (and other incidents and discussed, amongst other things:
1. How did this happen
2. Was their any inclination that this was going to happen
3. Could it have been prevented
4. Is this related to his previous injury
5. We're the training loads right
6. Was this just pure, dumb bad luck

Or do you really think everyone just shrugged their shoulders and went about their business.

A little bit of critical thinking before posting the first thing that comes into your head would go a long way.
Because we have had a really bad run with injuries over a sustained period of time. Is it training loads, players conditioning, the surface? Either way it hasn't improved and that is the common theme.

Anyone done any analysis on our injury bad luck?

I'm not talking about Russell, training loads, the MC or anything like that.

Are we glib about Mcstay and B Smith and just have Blue eyes?

Docherty twice, Williams, JSoS, Charlie for years, Marchbank for years, Cunners, Jones (retiring on us weirdo). Are we getting our fair share compared to other clubs?

Are we losing important players more than unimportant players compared to other clubs?

Or is it nothing to see here?

Because we have had a really bad run with injuries over a sustained period of time. Is it training loads, players conditioning, the surface? Either way it hasn't improved and that is the common theme.
Maybe it's all of them..and maybe it's none.
Maybe it's just bad luck. Maybe it's not.

My point is more around people posting s**t like 'serious questions need to be asked' and 'when will the club be held to account' without even considering that that would be a given in such a high performance environment.

Anyone done any analysis on our injury bad luck?

I'm not talking about Russell, training loads, the MC or anything like that.

Are we glib about Mcstay and B Smith and just have Blue eyes?

Docherty twice, Williams, JSoS, Charlie for years, Marchbank for years, Cunners, Jones (retiring on us weirdo). Are we getting our fair share compared to other clubs?

Are we losing important players more than unimportant players compared to other clubs?

Maybe it's all of them..and maybe it's none.
Maybe it's just bad luck. Maybe it's not.

My point is more around people posting s**t like 'serious questions need to be asked' and 'when will the club be held to account' without even considering that that would be a given in such a high performance environment.
High performance doesn't send its star player to a knee surgeon that butchered the surgery.

Conspiracy theories out in force when there are injuries

Leading into finals last year we had one of the healthiest list in the competition
Is sending Charlie Curnow to a surgeon that put the screws in backwards a conspiracy theory? 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries are shite but we have alot of blokes doing pre seasons who haven't had them in the past. We also had pretty much a full list (albeit a bit banged up and fatigued) going into finals last year so give the Russell/conditioning thing a rest. You can't run the training intensity line either because we got injuries in previous years when people weren't happy with our intensity. It's a tough game.... things happen

I understand injuries are part of the game.

It's not about one specific injury. It's years of having consistent injuries to key players. I don't know the reasons why. What I'm saying is it needs to be looked at. Didn't Voss mention something about this at the beginning of the last year? The high performance team overall needs to take responsibility like any professional organisation.

It's not about one specific injury. It's years of having consistent injuries to key players. I don't know the reasons why. What I'm saying is it needs to be looked at. Didn't Voss mention something about this at the beginning of the last year? The high performance team overall needs to be accountable and take responsibility like any professional organisation.
We have more blokes on the park that I can remember... you are a dog with a bone...unfortunate yes...unprofessional...no

It's not about one specific injury. It's years of having consistent injuries to key players. I don't know the reasons why. What I'm saying is it needs to be looked at. Didn't Voss mention something about this at the beginning of the last year? The high performance team overall needs to take responsibility like any professional organisation.

So High Performance, which is lead by Russell. You reverted back to this after claiming you weren't blaming Russell?

That HP, lead by Russell had our list in its healthiest state leading into finals last year. Who is responsible?

McStay does an ACL, supposedly from a club that some people think are the measuring board of all things professional

But I am interested, how did Russell cause the Jsos ACL injury

So High Performance, which is lead by Russell. You reverted back to this after claiming you weren't blaming Russell?

That HP, lead by Russell had our list in its healthiest state leading into finals last year. Who is responsible?

McStay does an ACL, supposedly from a club that some people think are the measuring board of all things professional

But I am interested, how did Russell cause the Jsos ACL injury
What's the training loads like? Is the surface causing issues.

Pittonet apparently in a moonboot now?? Weitering a severe calf strain. Collingwood have one player with an ACL. We have averaged Doc x2, Marchbank Cunningham, Williams and now Jsos in the past 6 years. Not to mention Charlie's knee, Walsh's back, Jack Martin's ongoing soft tissue injuries like Marchbank.

Are you saying all these are just bad luck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back