Injury 2024 Crows Injury Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Your right, We can cover losing him for a little while at this stage. Losing Dawson, Walker, Rankin or O'Brian now would have been a lot worse. It hurts his development though.
I will miss not seeing TT out there, but I am quite keen to have a good look at Burgess and to see exactly what he's got. The bits and pieces I have seen are fairly promising.

Real shame :( But this is exactly what Burgess was recruited for. Thank goodness we're not forced to play Himmelberg just to give us cover in the ruck.

Hopefully they take a conservative view of his surgery and recovery. As much as it would be nice to get him back earlier this year, we need Thilthorpe firing for the next decade.

Real shame :( But this is exactly what Burgess was recruited for. Thank goodness we're not forced to play Himmelberg just to give us cover in the ruck.

Hopefully they take a conservative view of his surgery and recovery. As much as it would be nice to get him back earlier this year, we need Thilthorpe firing for the next decade.
Dragon actually was very good on the weekend in defence and played better as the game progressed. I thought his form in the pre-season was underwhelming though so it was good to see his turn around in performance on the weekend after Scully took him to the cleaners in term 3 of the PA game.

He actually rucked well in the last part of 2023, so i think he must come into calculations if Burgess and/or Gollant don't play well or provide us with enough ruck cover.

Last edited:
Dragon actually was very good on the weekend in defence and played better as the game progressed. I thought his form in the pre-season was underwhelming though so it was good to see his turn around in performance on the weekend after Scully too him ot hte cleaners in term 3 of the PA game.

He actually rucked well in the last part of 2023, so i think he must come into calculations if Burgess and/or Gollant don't play well or provide us with enough ruck cover.
Gollant IIRC rucked a bit last year ....he looked good with greater midfield freedom

If it comes to actual ruckwork Himmelberg>>>>>>>Burgess/Borlase>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gollant.
I have been singularly unimpressed with Borlaise this year .....if he doesn't stop deliberately dropping to his knees, I'm going to scream !!

Himmelberg may be the better tap ruck, but he offers zero around the ground, compared to Gollant

I'm due to have an arthroscopy in the next few weeks for an old meniscal tear that's still bothering me so I've done some research.

Removing all or a large part of the meniscus is a quick fix but leads to bone-on-bone and subsequent arthritis in years to come (Macleod?). I have a small central tear which will likely need minor trimming only, so the arthritis risk later is small. A suture repair of a larger tear may be possible in some cases, and is more successful if the cartilage tear is on the rim, which has better blood supply than the central area.

As mentioned by others, trimming only is a day case with almost immediate ambulation and quick recovery, whereas a suture repair requires crutches and takes several months to heal.

Injury list as of Tuesday, March 5:​

Riley Thilthorpe (knee) TBA

Rory Sloane (eye) re-evaluated in 1-3 weeks

Mark Keane (concussion protocol) test

Nick Murray (knee) re-evaluated mid-season

Harry Schoenberg (achilles) re-evaluated mid-season

When I had my meniscus trim 15 years ago my surgeon said 12 weeks before I could play sport again. That was a really low cricket level. A fitter stronger athlete like Thilly probably half that so 4-6 weeks.

When I had my meniscus trim 15 years ago my surgeon said 12 weeks before I could play sport again. That was a really low cricket level. A fitter stronger athlete like Thilly probably half that so 4-6 weeks.
Not to mention the advanced medical care he will get, rehab and recovery etc in an elite sports environment compared to amateur sports.

A "trim" is a partial menisectomy, so I'd agree 4 to 6 weeks. General rule of thumb, the younger the patient the more you would try and repair rather than remove (trim). Unfortunately the recovery time for repair is much longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane being reassessed in 1-3 weeks to see when he can commence contact training, surely retirement must be a strong consideration now.

For his health and also the state of the team, there will be a month of footy underway before he’s ready and that’s optimistic. Then he’s going to need to displace someone with a future when we still have other players who can’t get games.

Sloane being reassessed in 1-3 weeks to see when he can commence contact training, surely retirement must be a strong consideration now.

For his health and also the state of the team, there will be a month of footy underway before he’s ready and that’s optimistic. Then he’s going to need to displace someone with a future when we still have other players who can’t get games.
Needs to be forced into retirement by someone whether that be doctors, the club, or both. One of his arguments for justifying another contract was the whole “I’ll be better in my 2nd year post ACL and I’ll be able to complete a full pre-season this time around” and to the surprise of few he’s had no pre-season due to numerous injuries. Would be genuinely disgraceful if he somehow makes his way back into the AFL side without a long stint of having to prove his fitness/playing in the SANFL

Dragon actually was very good on the weekend in defence and played better as the game progressed. I thought his form in the pre-season was underwhelming though so it was good to see his turn around in performance on the weekend after Scully took him to the cleaners in term 3 of the PA game.

Himmelberg sometimes looks good in patches, but never consistently. He can come in and do a job as a depth player occasionally, but you wouldn't want him there for half the season if it takes that long for Thilthorpe to return.

I would much rather give Burgess an extended try.

Not sure why he doesn't take it as the opportunity to retire. The man really does not want to retire

Repair is best for long term. Menisectomy is the quick fix (4 to 6 weeks) but you really do need that cartilage in the joint long term. But I'd suggest a repair is generally more than the 10 to 12 weeks I'm hearing quoted though, more like 4- 6 months but there are variables, size of the tear, location of the tear etc. Sometimes it's possible to do a partial menisectomy only and that might mean a little shorter recovery/rehab
We don’t really know the extent of the injury so it’s just a guessing game for now. An optimistic situation is that there are small meniscal fragments which can be taken out via arthroscopy, and minimal repair work needs to be done. Hoping it’s something minor and we might be seeing him back in 6 weeks. Either way, I hope he can come back and regain his form that he’s been showing this preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back