• McDonald

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 63 50.8%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

McDonald will never be as good, or as bad as he's portrayed on here.

He's a okay player, and I'm sure he'll have a good career. He'll probably play 200+ games and get 400+ goals.

My worry is what Sydney will demand for him. During trade week, even the duds are portrayed as legends. And there will be people like Kornes saying he's the missing piece for Freo and we must get him at all costs.

I'd probably be okay if we gave up our first rounder, and maybe a future second for him. But the talk of him being worth multiple first rounders is ridiculous.

What worries me is how much we will play for him.

Sydney can demand anything they want, if we will only pay pick 13 that is the most they can get.

I'm going to give him at least a dozen games to make up my mind, but fair to say I was surprised he kicked 32 goals last year because I never notice him watching Sydney and this year has been more of the same. He doesn't have any standout attributes so far that I can see. I'm paying more attention now so hopefully I start to notice.

I'm going to give him at least a dozen games to make up my mind, but fair to say I was surprised he kicked 32 goals last year because I never notice him watching Sydney and this year has been more of the same. He doesn't have any standout attributes so far that I can see. I'm paying more attention now so hopefully I start to notice.
Steven May is very tough match up.

I don't think last year, he would have got the best defender too often. It will be interesting to see how often he gets the best defender this year, and how he handles it.

I didn’t see the game, but..
I’m the same as you on this one. I’ve watched plenty of Sydney games over the last 3 years and I think I recall one game where he “broke out” for a quarter and kicked 3 goals and you though - wow I see the hype now.
But most games he’s rather invisible.
I think his strength is contested marking but we don’t see it very often. Maybe it will develop later. He’s not a contested marking beast like Tom Hawkins though or even looking close to that.
I sense he’s a bit cautious and tentative at times. He’s not particularly quick over 15 m but he does cover a lot of ground. A bit like Tabs actually.
Amiss and JUH are dynamic players, on a different level in my opinion.
One first round pick in the 10-12 range is all he is currently worth based on exposed form at AFL level.

Amiss attracts the best defender most of the time. He is a fair bit better than Logan. I don't think Logan is our saviour.

I'd prefer an elite mid to add to Jackson Brayshaw Young Serong and Johnson in the middle. Plus an elite small forward.

Amiss attracts the best defender most of the time. He is a fair bit better than Logan. I don't think Logan is our saviour.

I'd prefer an elite mid to add to Jackson Brayshaw Young Serong and Johnson in the middle. Plus an elite small forward.

I am all on the elite winger, elite small forward train over McDonald.

Hopefully there are some good players at the picks we have, at the moment I don't see much.

Steven May is very tough match up.

I don't think last year, he would have got the best defender too often. It will be interesting to see how often he gets the best defender this year, and how he handles it.

Unless Sydney move Heeney back to forward line and teams decide to play KPDs on him I really don’t see who else would get the best defender at Sydney.

Guys like Amartey and McLean just aren’t much good

We already have so much talent at our disposal in the middle..just need to get them to click.

Amartey was the one I was thinking off.

I just don’t see it with Amartey tbh. Think he’d be behind Amiss and Treacy here and genuinely battling it out with Taberner and Voss for third spot - not all that sure he’d have his nose in front either.

He’s a nice size and reasonably athletic but I’m not sure he has much else going for him.

Stats back me up - He’s in his sixth season at AFL level and has played less than 20 games and averages less than a goal a game.

I think like us Sydney genuinely need to upgrade that second KPF spot and that’s why they’re going after JUH etc. - Don’t think it has all that much to do with McDonald potentially leaving at all although I’m sure they’d much rather pair JUH with McDonald than Amartey.

Difference with us is I think Treacy could be actual AFL standard just not a superstar. I think Freo just see upgrading the forward line as a key and McDonald is the high end talent that’s out of contract. If he re-signs we’ll probably go for JVR instead. I’m sure when/if good WA small forwards come towards the end of their contract we’ll have a crack too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don’t see it with Amartey tbh. Think he’d be behind Amiss and Treacy here and genuinely battling it out with Taberner and Voss for third spot - not all that sure he’d have his nose in front either.

He’s a nice size and reasonably athletic but I’m not sure he has much else going for him.

Stats back me up - He’s in his sixth season at AFL level and has played less than 20 games and averages less than a goal a game.

I think like us Sydney genuinely need to upgrade that second KPF spot and that’s why they’re going after JUH etc. - Don’t think it has all that much to do with McDonald potentially leaving at all. Difference with us is I think Treacy could be actual AFL standard just not a superstar.

McLean is actually an okay forward/ruck but he’s more a Jack of trades that does okay as both a forward and ruck but isn’t a superstar at either. I wouldn’t be lining up replacements if I were Sydney but at the same time he isn’t getting the no.1 defender.
Sydney is such a fickle market, and the AFL will do anything to make it succeed.
They need a big name there, or personality to sell the Swans.
Guaranteed they need a bigger brand than McDonald. We are already seeing
the feel good story on Grundy.
Only way we are getting Logan is what they paid for him in the first place.
The equivalent in points, and if he wants to come home?
Will be interesting to see who they target next, but like the Buddy deal it’s not
an even market.

Sydney is such a fickle market, and the AFL will do anything to make it succeed.
They need a big name there, or personality to sell the Swans.
Guaranteed they need a bigger brand than McDonald. We are already seeing
the feel good story on Grundy.
Only way we are getting Logan is what they paid for him in the first place.
The equivalent in points, and if he wants to come home?
Will be interesting to see who they target next, but like the Buddy deal it’s not
an even market.

Why do we need to pay pick 5, if he is not worth it?

Surely this would be stupid. We can pay what we want, and Sydney can take it or walk him to the PSD.

The question I have is, which is better.

Zurhaar and 3 first round picks.
McDonald and 1 (maybe 2 if he struggles this year) first round pick.

For me it is clear, that Zurhaar and 3 first round picks is way better.

I would like McDonald, however i do think Chad Warner would be a far better option even with his higher cost.

Why do we need to pay pick 5, if he is not worth it?

Surely this would be stupid. We can pay what we want, and Sydney can take it or walk him to the PSD.

The question I have is, which is better.

Zurhaar and 3 first round picks.
McDonald and 1 (maybe 2 if he struggles this year) first round pick.

For me it is clear, that Zurhaar and 3 first round picks is way better.
Pick 5 or so in points.
Similar to what we did with the Henry
pick.
Talls are never cheap, especially ones who haven’t reached their potential yet.

We just need a decoy for Jai. Darlings been a decoy his whole career. First Kennedy, now Oscar.
Darling is a bit disrespected on this board as he’s an eagles villain and a bit of a flog.

But he’s probably going to retire a 300 game, 500 goal champion and AA winner, so he would be automatically our second greatest every key forward had he played for us.

I’d pay the two first round picks in a heartbeat for Logan if he turned out anything close to Jack Darling. That would be a massive win for us.

Cox isn’t even 26 until the season is almost over and has just signed for six years. We’ve got to give Davies and Murphy some time before drafting another KPD imo.

Chapman is also comfortably less than 27.

I’d probably think that drafting another rebounding defender wouldn’t be the worst idea though. I like Draper but I think Worner, Wagner, Hughes etc. won’t be at the club in three years - certainly need more depth there eventually.
I was thinking defenders in the non-key position roles and Chapman seems to be heading to the wing which leaves just Worner, Wagner and Hughes. All three are good depth but I wouldn't describe any of them as long term prospects. Draper might be able to play as a medium defender but more youth in that area is a good idea.

I was thinking defenders in the non-key position roles and Chapman seems to be heading to the wing which leaves just Worner, Wagner and Hughes. All three are good depth but I wouldn't describe any of them as long term prospects. Draper might be able to play as a medium defender but more youth in that area is a good idea.
Agree with this - a top 25 pick on a half back flanker would be great. We need a good player there and they can be got in that range.
Hughes and Worner are delist material and Wagner is not probably a long term option either.

I think Chad Warner will frustrate whichever team wins his signature as he blazes away by foot. Serong has it but we didn't trade two firsts to bring him across, so we are patient.

But Chad most effective kicks are the long bombs to space

Agree with this - a top 25 pick on a half back flanker would be great. We need a good player there and they can be got in that range.
Hughes and Worner are delist material and Wagner is not probably a long term option either.
Wagner is much older than people think. Probably will always be on the verge of being delisted for the rest of his career unless he becomes best 22.

Even if he's better than Worner, age might mean Worner is given more opportunities. Hope not because from what I've seen the difference in current ability is large enough that I'm not sure the gap will ever be closed.

Pick 5 or so in points.
Similar to what we did with the Henry
pick.
Talls are never cheap, especially ones who haven’t reached their potential yet.
What does he need to do this year, to justify pick 5?

I think we will have a top 10 pick, and two late first round pick. Giving up 2 of them, is a lot especially if he kicks under 40 goals this year.

Back