Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow man, way to hang onto something from last year.

We clearly thought we’d try something in the last round with Meek/Ryan.

Won man.

Not hanging onto anything just pointing out that Sam Mitchell continues to fail in this department. You don't even like the subs.

Like crazy, man.

Peace.

to be fair go back and read this respective thread from last week and i recall quite a few people saying Gunston was the "perfect sub"
Prime Gunston would have been a good option as sub as he was so versatile and could play down back and up forward.

But watching Jack on Saturday it's pretty evident that he is not that player anymore.

I'm not sure where gunners will fit into the side going forward. He could still be a handy goal kicker with his smarts but he has lost the pace he needs to get seperation.

OUT: Maginness, Gunston
IN: Phillips, Hustwaite

B Hardwick Phillips Scrimshaw
HB Sicily Frost Impey
C Amon Newcombe MacDonald
HF Moore Lewis Weddle
F Ginnivan Chol Bruest
R Reeves Worpel MacKenzie
Int D’Ambrosio Watson Hustwaite Nash
Sub Ward
Emer Meek Butler Morrison

• Phillips in to help with the Geelong talls, he had 15 marks in the VFL and we are crying out for a key defender- not sure what else he has to do, get him in now
  • Weddle goes with Stewart, hopefully matches him in the air and can physically work him over. If it’s not working though I’d like to see Mitch pull the trigger early and swap with Scrim/Hardwick
  • Gunstons been a champion player but now is too old, too slow- and can’t kick straight- transition into a coaching role
  • Reeves gets another chance but he’s treading a fine line if Meek keeps performing in the VFL
  • Get Hustwaite in - his clearance work is good- its an area we need help- lets see what he’s got
  • Butler/Morrison are real close - I nearly had them over Ward/Nash (who both need a rocket)
Play attacking footy from the back half, sort out our centre clearance issues and bring the pressure- we can beat these pricks they aren’t that good

Last edited:
Pretty simple this week, win in the middle and we probably win the game. Hustwaite in for Finn, only change for me. Finn has nobody to tag, and his skills are not up to playing in our backline.

Hustwaite had 8 clearances and 9 tackles in the VFL, he’s more than earned his spot. His clean hands and use is exactly what we need.

to be fair go back and read this respective thread from last week and i recall quite a few people saying Gunston was the "perfect sub"
I still don't mind the Gunston sub, as he could potentially cover forward or back. Better than a young player that only gets a quarter. The Finn one was crazy though

Certainly Lewis needs to do something, but he does get a pass with the way the ball is coming out of the middle.

For mine:
  1. Impey replace with Mitchell - Impey just hasn't looked himself and think needs a couple to get his confidence back, Mitchell has pace and clean skills which has to be a feature of all our backs.
  2. Reeves preplace with Meek to get some run through the ruck and more aggression at contest
  3. Gunston for- Ramsey replacing a tall with a taller with a big engine and clean hands provides three marking targets in attack as well as the get out from defence when long bomb required
  4. Mags for Phillips please let us get some height in the backline and allow Sis to play trouble shooter. Phillips is the only one big enough to play on Hawkins and I cannot stand the thought of him taking hold of the game because we didn't play another tall. ps; plan b is if he gets going meek sits on him (literally I would hope and rama rucks.
  5. Ward for Hus - tough but we need a win

But's unlucky because our smalls whilst inaccurate have been getting the pill up forward.

ps; if I sit next to another geelong person talking about the bloody stadium lights down there I will scream. Like you finally join the 1980s and you can't stop talking about how rad it is.

Last edited:
Just need a response this week. That is just such a crap way to start the season and I worry we won’t even see 50k at the game this week.

I can’t stand the centre bounce mix of Nash Worpel and Jai. Three guys all trying to do the same thing, mix it up please I am begging. I don’t think Nash should be in the side but I hope he can change my mind over the next few weeks.

Finn has to go, who else, I’m not so sure. Gunston probably the one to go if anyone.

I’d swap Reeves for Meek, you have to reward good performances and hold players accountable when they’re not performing, it’s the number one way to lose a playing group when that’s not the case.

Finn for Huss. Gunners out, looks cooked. Morrison and Butler played well at BHH so one of them in for him.

I would rather be giving Phillips or Serong a game than Frost too.
I thought Frost has been OK this year - Agree Phillips to come in but not at the expense of another tall defender when the Cats have so many tall forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finn for Huss. Gunners out, looks cooked. Morrison and Butler played well at BHH so one of them in for him.

I would rather be giving Phillips or Serong a game than Frost too.
Take off the anti-Frost glasses.

He's been very good so far.

Take off the anti-Frost glasses.

He's been very good so far.
Yep - the famous Frostball has been seen this year. He's locked down, stayed focused and is making good, safe, quick decisions to give to better skilled teammates as the first and only option

Watching Phillips on Sunday it's obvious that he loves an intercept mark & is bloody good at it. His disposal & decision making was also pretty sound. If he comes in, he doesn't appear to be a dour shut down, scragging & punching defender, but someone who backs their own ability to effect the contest & win possession. I know this has already been touted, but just want to temper expectations if he comes up against a gorilla. Would love to learn from those who have a larger sample section.

I'll go with the following:

In: Huss, Meek, Phillips, Morrison
Out: Finn, Reeves, Gunston, Impey

I don't feel like they will drop Reeves, however I think he's currently in terrible form (despite whatever his hitout to advantage stats are).

Harry to be sub.

Don't care what anyone says, we win and WIN BIG!!!!!

Los Angeles Bean GIF by Working Title

OUT: Maginness, Gunston (sub)
IN: Hustwaite, Phillips
sub: Breust/Butler

Phillips into the backline along with Frost to take the matchups of Hawkins and Cameron. One or both of Sicily and Scrimshaw need to be playing more attacking off half back.

Weddle up forward to play a roaming CHF/utility role. Literally "no limits", just a licence to run where ever he thinks he can hurt them.

Chol playing from the goal square and chopping out Reeves in the ruck. Lewis also roaming up the ground but resting deep when Chol is in the ruck.

Watson to make sure he is always goal side of their last defender when the ball is in their half. They either man him up which stretches their zone vertically, potentially opening up space in the corridor, or they leave themselves open to him getting easy goals with long kicks over the top. In my mind between Chol, Lewis, Weddle there should be a tall some where across the middle of the ground who can at worst receive and launch a long chaos ball into an open 50 for the Wiz to run onto.

And in general more rotations for CBAs. Moore, Ginnivan, Macdonald, Amon can all bring something different to the mix. Hustwaite and Newcombe can easily play forward minutes. Even Hardwick could see some CBAs.

Phillips spoke of the opportunity of playing on Hawkins Easter Monday, don’t think he has done a lot wrong, but nor has Frost, I see them battling for the one position unless we throw Scrim forward.
Ward isn’t the answer to our issues on the wing, at least not yet. Put Amon back onto the wing and bring Morrison back in. If he’s not in the wing he should at minimum be the sub.
I think Newk and Day made their mates in the middle look better than what they are. Remove Day and Newk down on form, nullifies the impact of the others.
Not against bringing in Meek, but also not 100% sold just yet.
He took some marks and looked a better player, but he also dropped a few that kill you at the next level. I think he finished with 15 possessions, but from memory I think he had 11 at quarter time.
I just want us to put our best players in our best positions and let them go at it, if we lose so be it.

Sam mentioned in his post game presser that we lacked in flair and creativity to get through Melbourne’s defensive structures. I wonder if we bring in Phillips so that the likes of Sic and Scrim can be a bit more offensively inclined?

Also think we need to bring in Huss to reward form and to get a different look in the middle.

In: Phillips, Hustwaite
Out: Gunston, Maginness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back