Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's the blardy should have taken wee watto wizard watson crew??

The Hawfs wanted Duursma bad and we can all see why.
I wanted Watson but I admit that Zane has been incredibly impressive in his first two games.

We are still desperate for a small fast high-pressure forward to help lock the ball in our forward line, but Zane looks like he can be a champion for us.

Do the rules allow Zane and George to share the Rising Star?

You like watching the young players because you can see they're desperately trying to implement the game plan they've been taught and as a result you can see what the wider team is trying to do. Duursma I think is an unreal example of this. I can remember at least twice he has pushed up high and taken great marks on the wing or the back flank. The kid has not even thought once about going down the line or into the pocket; the first instinct is to look into the corridor. However he did turn it over at least twice coming back inside which led to scoring opportunities for Freo. When we are a better side that can spread defences even thinner on transition, and when Zane is a bit more experienced, those kicks are going to hit. And it won't even be only him, it'll be the whole team that looks like rockstars.

You like watching the young players because you can see they're desperately trying to implement the game plan they've been taught and as a result you can see what the wider team is trying to do. Duursma I think is an unreal example of this. I can remember at least twice he has pushed up high and taken great marks on the wing or the back flank. The kid has not even thought once about going down the line or into the pocket; the first instinct is to look into the corridor. However he did turn it over at least twice coming back inside which led to scoring opportunities for Freo. When we are a better side that can spread defences even thinner on transition, and when Zane is a bit more experienced, those kicks are going to hit. And it won't even be only him, it'll be the whole team that looks like rockstars.

Noticed.this as well and my first thought was that I loved that he had the balls to try and pull off the risky kick.

In the first 1.5 quarters we were taking hyper aggressive kicks inboard.

Not lateral slow switches or safe narrow side kicks.

Hyper aggressive on the 45 into the corridor where if it goes badly you're cooked.

but we did it again and again and again.

If that is the style we want to play we are gonna f***ing obliterate sides when we get it right over the course of a game.

Xavier is only 23, there's honestly more chance of us picking up Willem.

Not sure if I posted this already, but a mate who is in basketball circles rated Willem the best basketballer in the state for his age. Say's he's an absolute freak athlete, at this stage though he looks like going down the footy path.

Hang on, which part am i trolling. is mckercher not being headhunter by tasmania to the tune of 2m per season?

Is duursma not the brother of xavier at ess?
No he's not, that was Robbo speculating that they would come after him. They don't have a CEO let alone a List Manager so I'm not sure who exactly at the Tasmania Devils could be head hunting Colby, maybe their Social Media manager is sliding to his DM's on Insta?

Last edited:
But what's the chance of duursma leaving for bummers to join his brother and mcckercher leaving for tasmania on 2m deal?

Could this be a risk?

I saw Colby in a cafe with Jack Riewoldt, David Boon, Dave Foster and Jacqui Lambie earlier this week.

Done deal I heard them say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are very lucky to have him tbh, as since the draft I heard the deal was all but done with Essendon and St Kilda that would have seen Duursma go to Essendon and we would have received their first pick Caddy/O'Sullivan as well as a beefed up St Kilda compo pick. Paperwork was being prepared.

Dodoro ****ed up the deal badly in it's final stages with some final demands. North and St Kilda pulled the deal.

McKay almost walked from Essendon to Hawthorn as well due to him, but was talked back around by Scott. The compo pick for McKay at this point was very much borderline Band 1 and Band 2, the s**t that Dodoro pulled ensured that McKay and his management had Vozzo add a few hundred grand into his 2024 player wages as a result to about face.

Was almost like Dodo tried to blow the joint up in his final trade period.

I don't know who told you this but can assure you completely where we are involved, this is a tall tale. I recall similar nonsense being rumoured at the time when people were getting paranoid that Essendon would simultaneously low ball McKay to screw us while at the same time overpaying Gresham and it didn't help when Cal Twomey spooked the board saying Essendon wanted to trade up. Considering the logistics of unknown compo for two deals at the time, not to mention nothing in it for the Saints (who at worse were going to get end of first round compo anyway) this is a sleepy rumour.

As for the rest, you could see it being true. The Hawks thought they were home and hosed.

I saw Colby in a cafe with Jack Riewoldt, David Boon, Dave Foster and Jacqui Lambie earlier this week.

Done deal I heard them say.

Truganini and Abel Tasman were up at the counter, I assume

Remove this Banner Ad

Back