News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

weIMt7l.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After last years haul, I told myself no more guernseys until I can get one with the gold AFL logo... looks like im breaking that rule

saintmike65....gee.......I do hope your wrong on that one....!!!!!!!
Twelve months ago we continuously heard from various posters that Wanganeen-Milera was very homesick and would depart at end of season. He signed on. Collard may or may not depart. And if he does depart there may be very good family-need reasons that supporter aren't privy to. Hope it plays out with Collard like it did with Wanganeen-Milera.
saintmike65....gee.......I do hope your wrong on that one....!!!!!!!

I’m pretty sure the word epic is being used colloquially here to appeal to a younger audience. Substitute with hilarious, and it’s a little less aggravating, but only a smidgeon.
Well it's not hilarious either. It's a banality exchange deserving little more than a "ha!"

Collard is from a very different background to Nas and it was always going to be a big task to settle him in Melbourne. Hopefully the club can help him, it would be a shame to lose such a great prospect, but Im sure the WA clubs would pay handsomely for a trade. If we think bigger picture would we be happy if Collard was involved in a trade for Brayshaw or Serong etc.

Last edited:
Collard is from a very different background to Nas and it was always going to be a big task to settle him in Melbourne. Hopefully the club can help him it would be a shame to lose such a great prospect, but Im sure the WA clubs would pay handsomely for a trade. If we think bigger picture would we be happy if Collard was involved in a trade for Brayshaw or Serong etc.

Doubt they pay handsomely. It would be like the Jamie Cripps trade - two medium picks max.

Daniel Hoyne Sportsday yesterday 26/3:

Just a 5 min section where he highlights our explosive movement from the backhalf. Worth a listen

6min:25sec - 11min:40sec

Must be a Saints supporter - I’ve never heard him say a bad word about us 😂

West coast will finish last and might get an assistance package, if not this year then the next. Freo have 3 first round picks this year. If he wants to go, now would be a good time.

Collard is from a very different background to Nas and it was always going to be a big task to settle him in Melbourne. Hopefully the club can help him it would be a shame to lose such a great prospect, but Im sure the WA clubs would pay handsomely for a trade. If we think bigger picture would we be happy if Collard was involved in a trade for Brayshaw or Serong etc.

All well and good in theory, however if Collard is already looking to get out then it would no doubt affect his performance for the rest of the year. May only appear for Sandy and may not do anything overly exciting. If that were the case just how much would the WA clubs be likely to offer up?

Our best option is clearly for the club to get around him and work through the obvious homesickness and any other issues. For cuddly Ross to become Super Cuddly Ross.

And for Lancey Boy to feel the love, to make the gradual adjustments required to feel at home at Moorabbin. And for him to become a star.

Doubt they pay handsomely. It would be like the Jamie Cripps trade - two medium picks max.
Yep, sad but true. Maybe a late first and an early third, or two innocuous second rounders, with us giving something back to make things potentially a little sweeter.
Can't see us making out like bandits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a 5 min section where he highlights our explosive movement from the backhalf. Worth a listen

Hoynie loves what Lyon is doing.

I can’t believe AFL players do drugs

Mate, I’m just shocked there’s a job which pays what an average wage of 400k per year and all you have to do is tell your doctor you’re injured because you got on the nose beers and you get to miss work. Staggering, and here the AFL are telling everyone it’s a three strike rule. If that’s not posturing, I don’t know what is

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate, I’m just shocked there’s a job which pays what an average wage of 400k per year and all you have to do is tell your doctor you’re injured because you got on the nose beers and you get to miss work. Staggering, and here the AFL are telling everyone it’s a three strike rule. If that’s not posturing, I don’t know what is

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sooooooo Henry’s hammy went twang eh?

That’s the issue isn’t it that the AFL have created a system where many will get tarred with the same brush.

So many inconsistencies. Coaches have been saying nobody told me anything, I didn’t know. But you would think they’re close enough to at least have suspicions.

Players saying I didn’t know this system existed. But my question is how do they all know to self report? Someone has explained to players the pragmatism in owning up pregame. I wonder who?

How long ago did Nick Reiwoldt say that injuries are being used to cover players who have tested adversely? 2-3 years ago?

Hoynie loves what Lyon is doing.
Gringo beat me to it. Bloke is a huge fan of what we have done in the past 12 months.

Hoyne's commentary is very interesting and encouraging. But I reckon that Wood and Henry out is really going to test our ability to keep up that system. Both are big parts of our end to end ball movement in different ways, and neither is going to be easily replaced.

AFL 2024: Who are the A-graders in cashed-up St Kilda’s sights?​

March 28, 2024 — 5.30am

St Kilda have identified a group of elite midfielders from rival clubs that they will target in the next 18 months, as part of the club’s aggressive list management strategy to add more A-grade talent to its ranks.
The Scoop has discussed St Kilda’s situation with player movement experts across the industry who would not be named because players’ careers, club strategies and salaries were involved.

Brisbane Lions star Hugh McCluggage, contracted North Melbourne bull Luke Davies-Uniacke and Fremantle dynamo Andrew Brayshaw are all on the Saints’ hit list, as the club looks to utilise the significant bankroll at its disposal.
The club has a significant war chest at its disposal, as a result of a mixture of frugal player payments and tough calls to let players join rival clubs.

The club cleared more than $2 million from its total player payments at the end of last year when it allowed Jade Gresham to join Essendon, Nick Coffield to join North Melbourne and Jack Billings to join Melbourne.

Gresham was earning close to $850,000 in his final year as a Saint, when he kicked 21 goals from 23 games, while top 10 draft picks Coffield and Billings were both earning $600,000 each.
Max King, Jack Steele, Rowan Marshall and Brad Hill are the highest-paid players at the club, all earning between $800-900,000 per season.

Hill’s contract expires at the end of the season and he is expected to recommit to the Saints on a significantly reduced deal, which will free up more space in the club’s salary cap for 2025.

While St Kilda are happy with their combination of talent, youth and experience in both attack and defence, there is an acknowledgement internally that the list needs ready-made midfielders in the prime of their career.

St Kilda were contacted for comment, along with the management of Davies-Uniacke, Brayshaw and McCluggage.
Seb Ross, Brad Crouch, Mason Wood and Hill are now all in their 30s, while dual All-Australian and best and fairest winner Jack Steele is 28.

Crouch, who has just entered the last season of a four-year deal worth $700,000 per season, triggered a fifth year of a contract when he played his first game in round two against Geelong.
The Victorian-born McCluggage, who was one of Brisbane’s best players in their close grand final loss to Collingwood last year, becomes a restricted free agent at season’s end.

The club’s vice captain has constantly reiterated his desire to stay at the Lions, both privately and publicly.
“It is important to [state my intention to stay]. The boys always ask you the question with subtle digs. We want to keep good people around and they are in the same boat with me. So yeah, I definitely want it to happen but it’s definitely a business so you have to make sure you do your due diligence and get the best possible result for both the club and yourself personally,” McCluggage told News Corp last month.
Despite the high regard in which McCluggage is held in Brisbane, he’s not earning crazy money. He has never been All-Australian and despite finishing on the podium for the last five years running, he is yet to be crowned a best and fairest winner at the Lions.

At $800,000 per season, St Kilda have identified his contractual status as an opportunity and believe that he could be a million-dollar player.
Davies-Uniacke and Brayshaw, taken at picks two and four respectively in the 2017 draft, both become free agents at the end of 2025.

The pair is managed by Paul Connors and Tom Petroro of TLA, respectively – two of the most influential and high-profile player managers in the AFL.

Despite missing games through injury last year, Davies-Uniacke has established himself as North Melbourne’s premier midfielder and he would be seen at Arden Street as one of, if not the, key cog of a premiership tilt under coach Alastair Clarkson.

At 24, Brayshaw is already an All-Australian and a best and fairest winner at Fremantle. He and fellow gut-running midfielder Caleb Serong are viewed in the competition as one of the best midfield combinations in the game, particularly for their age.
Brayshaw was coached by Ross Lyon in his first two seasons before Lyon left Fremantle at the end of the 2019 season.

With the new CBA kicking in at the end of 2025, players will receive a significant boost in salaries, particularly premium players like Davies-Uniacke and Brayshaw.
Whether they choose to stay at their respective clubs or move, it is all but certain that both will sign contracts well north of $1 million per season.

St Kilda, like other cashed up clubs, are aware that they may fail in their pursuits of trade and free agency targets. But they also know that if they don’t land men on their hit list, it will force other rival clubs to pay “overs” to keep players on their list.
One list manager, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the game was moving closer to a player being offered a contract on which he would earn $2 million in a single season, depending on whether the contract was front- or back-ended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back