News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The reporting is so poor isn't it!? It seems even more acute for us living abroad. Maybe we miss a few articles that the locals get or something!? I don't know. It just seems that us ex-pats seem to notice it and give out about it a little more.
I've made mention of my Mrs. Who would at best be considered a casual Saints supporter, acknowledging that we get NOTHING from the pundits. It's always the other team playing badly, never us having done anything to deserve the victory. The amount of times we've won, but the "highlights" are all of the opposing team, borders on joke levels of passive aggressive bullsh*t.
The quality is so so low, it beggars belief. Football media in general is rife with incompetence and this assumption that footy fans are so stupid and desperate that we'll take any old cobblers:

Exhibit A, this Fox Footy clickbait headline. The story is that Adam Simpson suggested that Harley Reid take a strepsil for his cold, to which the 18-year-old Reid replied "What’s a Strepsil?" THAT’S IT. That's the whole story.

It is being sold as "Epic" at best because they are lying to us, they know uts not epic and it's just desperate clickbait, but at worst these panting imbeciles actually do believe this mundane story to be epic. Either way, it's a total embarrassment.

Just one example, there are a million. I've got so many screenshot of crappy typos and sub-standard use of English by these so called professional journalists that I've given up bothering now, it literally has become the standard, and it's hard to see it getting any better.

Who cares? Screenshot_20240326_070557_Ecosia.jpg

Stocker details ‘important’ relationship with Lyon​

A typically forthright Liam Stocker is embracing the freedom of playing on another one-year deal as he relishes his frank relationship with St Kilda coach Ross Lyon.
Advertisement

Stocker, famously the No.19 pick in the 2018 draft after then-Carlton and now-Saints list manager Stephen Silvagni made a trade with Adelaide to select him, said he had come to terms with his “footy mortality”.
Liam Stocker is loving his AFL life at his second club St Kilda.

Liam Stocker is loving his AFL life at his second club St Kilda.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
He has spoken openly and honestly many times about his self-professed mental health struggles, and Lyon’s role in him dealing with that is part of why he is loving his time at Moorabbin.
The 24-year-old defender’s career could have ended when the Blues cut him at the end of 2022, but Silvagni gave him a lifeline, and he has played 25 of a possible 26 matches since.
That still earned him only a second straight one-year contract for this season, but Stocker said he was content with his lot.
Advertisement
Mattaes Phillipou continues to make his mark in his second season as a Saint. “I think I’m able to put that [playing for my football life] to the side now. I’m probably at a point in my career where if I stop enjoying it, I’ll probably just pull the pin,” he said.
“I’m having so much fun doing what I’m doing, and the relationship I have with Ross is so important to why I’m enjoying my football.
“To be honest, being on one-year deals kind of feels free. If I do stop enjoying it, I’m not really letting anyone down, and I can pursue all the other things I love to do outside of football.
“It’s nice to have that kind of onus and pressure on your football – not that it doesn’t exist otherwise – but it doesn’t concern me too much.”
Advertisement

Stocker said he would take it if Silvagni put a multi-year contract in front of him, but no longer worried about things he could not control.
“That’s been my difficulty throughout my football journey – trying to control things I can’t,” he said.
“You know what? If that is the reward for consistent play, then great. If it’s not, there’s not much I can do about it.”
Stocker said a strong mutual trust between him and Lyon was the key to their relationship working at a personal and football level.
Ross Lyon (middle) is getting the best out of Stocker.

Ross Lyon (middle) is getting the best out of Stocker.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Advertisement

“It’s the most honest I’ve been with a head coach about how I’m going, obviously with my mental health struggles across the space of my career,” he said.
“I really struggled with how honest I need to be with a coach, and what time is right to talk about those things.
“With Ross, there’s a massive emphasis on when I go into games, what he expects – he doesn’t really care how I feel – but during the week, if there are things affecting me, or I need to speak with him about anything I’m worried about, then he is always open for that.
“I think that’s where the personal relationship doesn’t converge on the footy relationship we have. That’s what I found most important, and I think he’s quite similar with the rest of the players.”
- Marc McGowan

An extremely important member of our club. He’s a real driver of culture and standards, and his openness about his mental health battles are a huge influence for our group. Love him.

An extremely important member of our club. He’s a real driver of culture and standards, and his openness about his mental health battles are a huge influence for our group. Love him.
Great pick up.
Seems like an honest, down to earth guy who will put his body on the line every game.

As Bowie said, "it's been so long"

If you like these vids and feel like chipping in, here's a link: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/BiggerThompa

I was hoping you'd be with us this season! Absolute gold this stuff, the club should get you onboard.

The Jim Carrey bit was too close to home, I literally said his words about the commentary during the broadcast, "What the hell are you talking about???"

As Bowie said, "it's been so long"

If you like these vids and feel like chipping in, here's a link:
BiggerThompa,

I'm speechless after watching that.......magnificent!!!!!!!

You did some awesome clips last season and this one is right up there.

Well done.

The track from "Muse" is eerie yet very powerful when mixed with the footage.

I absolutely Rissed myself with the BT...."it's out of bounds.....it's out of bounds" segment.....very very funny.

I could watch the clip all day....time wise....I think I need to get a life !!!!!!

:):)

I reck there is a very high chance of him requesting a trade and the end of the year. I follow him of the social, a lot of photos of him missing his misses
I can imagine he was pretty down in the dumps about his "debut" too. Brought the family out from WA, only to play about a quarter of footy with basically no impact (and then dropped). No one's fault, but debuting as a sub is not a great thing.

This eventually had to come out it would be niave to believe this is not an issue at every club across the country. It is strong evidence of just how f....n corrupt the AFL are and have been covering drug use and performance enhancing taking for years. If it hadnt of been for WADA involvement they would have buried the Essendon injection scandal, its all about protecting the brand.

I have said it before but given the impact of these competitions on communities the government needs to install an independant government body with powers of over sight to monitor these leagues governance and activities. Similiar to the anti corruption commission the governemnet bodies have. We cant expect these mutli billion organisations where $$$ is everything to self regulate - its just a hub for corruption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t believe AFL players do drugs

Agree and I no longer care what they do. What I do care about is the AFL denying and suggesting it doesnt occur. They need to deal with it an accountable and transparent manner. Get recreational drugs excluded from the banned list - but do something and stop living in denial.

The quality is so so low, it beggars belief. Football media in general is rife with incompetence and this assumption that footy fans are so stupid and desperate that we'll take any old cobblers:

Exhibit A, this Fox Footy clickbait headline. The story is that Adam Simpson suggested that Harley Reid take a strepsil for his cold, to which the 18-year-old Reid replied "What’s a Strepsil?" THAT’S IT. That's the whole story.

It is being sold as "Epic" at best because they are lying to us, they know uts not epic and it's just desperate clickbait, but at worst these panting imbeciles actually do believe this mundane story to be epic. Either way, it's a total embarrassment.

Just one example, there are a million. I've got so many screenshot of crappy typos and sub-standard use of English by these so called professional journalists that I've given up bothering now, it literally has become the standard, and it's hard to see it getting any better.

Who cares?View attachment 1940253

I’m pretty sure the word epic is being used colloquially here to appeal to a younger audience. Substitute with hilarious, and it’s a little less aggravating, but only a smidgeon.

Can they stop with the elite merch time and time again i only have so much money
I can feel my Mastercard dancing in my pocket already....

Absolutely LOVE the Candy stripe jumper.

I never thought we'd see the players in that jumper again.

Can they stop with the elite merch time and time again i only have so much money
Love this jumper. Closest to our home strip. Should permanently be the away one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back