News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was young I used to go to Biccies Op Shop in Brighton, his mum used to run it and give me Saints gossip straight from the Pres. She was a fantastic old bird and if the apple doesn't fall far from the tree he would have been a good fella. He navigated some rough seas in that era. She reckoned that the Hawks shafted us on Waverley and used to bag the AFL for pushing us around when we were a small fish club.

Some actually think that Toce had a lone hand in picking those players?

I reckon Toce would have had strong say in our SA boys as he was our SA man. Probably tracked them for a few years.

As stavro on the other thread pointed out Naz and Pou were best of the rest picks (although Healy wanted us to select Sinn :D:D) Windy and Owens were locals NGA's so nothing to do with Toce.

He should be credited with going into isolation for two weeks in Qld, then flying to SA for a couple of months and watching SANFL in 2020. This would have found us Sharman and Wilkie, I am sure, maybe some info on Naz and Pou but both underagers so not sure.

SoS got us Hammer and Stocker and StC mentioned that he was at a WAFL game where Collard was playing and saw SoS and Gubby there, So Collard was probably them.

Its a combined thing. Toce seems like a good operator, maybe he had a falling out with SoS and Gubby, maybe Ross wanted his own people. One thing for sure, if you are any good Ross will keep you as per Boris Enright, so he just doesn't get rid of someone just to get his own person in.

Collard is a totally unknown quantity at this point. People credited Sos for getting Henry though. He bid on him before Freo.

Its interesting that Dalrymple can take credit for building the Bulldogs GF list, and Sydney's list, yet Toce` get crickets for his time at the Saints.

It may well turn out to be a master stroke by the club, but the way he was exited after his years of service was pretty shoddy IMO. Now if I was a Tigers supporter I would be pretty happy to get him onboard.

Lets not forget the Bulldogs had 5 x father sons in that GF side in an era when you had to give up nothing but nominate them. They also had numerous top 10 draft picks, the value in that team was the late in draft and rookie picks.

During Dalrymple's time at Sydney they have had numerous academy players added, three of who are their best players Mills, Heeney & Gulden. Prior to recent years they had extra salary cap and just went and bought the players they needed. Yes they have had some excellent late picks like Warner, but so have the Saints and we havent had half the free players those two clubs have had. Let's also not forget that Sydney have also been a well run and coached side for the past 20 years, we haven't.

Its all relative people.

Last edited:
Its interesting that Dalrymple can take credit for building the Bulldogs GF list, and Sydney's list, yet Toce` get crickets for his time at the Saints.

It may well turn out to be a master stroke by the club, but the way he was exited after his years of service was pretty shoddy IMO. Now if I was a Tigers supporter I would be pretty happy to get him onboard.

Lets not forget the Bulldogs had 5 x father sons in that GF side in an era when you had to give up nothing but nominate them. They also had numerous top 10 draft picks, the value in that team was the late in draft and rookie picks.

During Dalrymple's time at Sydney they have had numerous academy players added, three of who are their best players Mills, Heeney & Gulden. Prior to recent years they had extra salary cap and just went and bought the players they needed. Yes they have had some excellet late picks like Warner, but so have the Saints and we havent had half the free players those two clubs have had. Let's also not forget that Sydney have also been a well run and coached side for the past 20 years, we haven't.

Its all relative people.
Are you gringos burner account from the ratten/richo days??

Yep, I was a big fan of Tocé and know little about Dalrymple, so for me, we should have backed our man in. We don't need to be giving the likes of Richmond a leg up.

However, who knows how responsable Tocé really was for IDing the talent that we drafted, or how he operated in a team? Maybe he got a bit ahead of himself, maybe he and Ross didn't get on.

We won't see the proof of the pudding for 5 or 6 years unfortunately.

Just watching AFL360. Collingwood lost apparently. Not sure who to, but Collingwood did lose and were said to be quite bad and that is everything of interest in the first match in AFL history that only featured one team.

Nice of the fellas to advocate for Max King's dismissal also, time for the AFL to teach this fearsome grub a lesson.

In other news, "Robbo" seems to be a few more steps into his full transition from adult male human to scrotum. I'm really happy for him, he's clearly been a scrotum all his life on the inside of his body and now for his body and face to so closely represent a large sagging testicle is wonderful for society, science and of course Robbo himself. And for Wheatley to enable the transition by playing the part of a flacid John Thomas is a test(e)ment to the depth of their respect for each other.

Just watching AFL360. Collingwood lost apparently. Not sure who to, but Collingwood did lose and were said to be quite bad and that is everything of interest in the first match in AFL history that only featured one team.

Nice of the fellas to advocate for Max King's dismissal also, time for the AFL to teach this fearsome grub a lesson.

In other news, "Robbo" seems to be a few more steps into his full transition from adult male human to scrotum. I'm really happy for him, he's clearly been a scrotum all his life on the inside of his body and now for his body and face to so closely represent a large sagging testicle is wonderful for society, science and of course Robbo himself. And for Wheatley to enable the transition by playing the part of a flacid John Thomas is a test(e)ment to the depth of their respect for each other.
The reporting is so poor isn't it!? It seems even more acute for us living abroad. Maybe we miss a few articles that the locals get or something!? I don't know. It just seems that us ex-pats seem to notice it and give out about it a little more.
I've made mention of my Mrs. Who would at best be considered a casual Saints supporter, acknowledging that we get NOTHING from the pundits. It's always the other team playing badly, never us having done anything to deserve the victory. The amount of times we've won, but the "highlights" are all of the opposing team, borders on joke levels of passive aggressive bullsh*t.

The reporting is so poor isn't it!? It seems even more acute for us living abroad. Maybe we miss a few articles that the locals get or something!? I don't know. It just seems that us ex-pats seem to notice it and give out about it a little more.
I've made mention of my Mrs. Who would at best be considered a casual Saints supporter, acknowledging that we get NOTHING from the pundits. It's always the other team playing badly, never us having done anything to deserve the victory. The amount of times we've won, but the "highlights" are all of the opposing team, borders on joke levels of passive aggressive bullsh*t.
You are dead right. Even living in the thick of AFL territory in Melbourne the Saints get scant coverage from the media. It’s always the opposing team, drives me crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I was a big fan of Tocé and know little about Dalrymple, so for me, we should have backed our man in. We don't need to be giving the likes of Richmond a leg up.

However, who knows how responsable Tocé really was for IDing the talent that we drafted, or how he operated in a team? Maybe he got a bit ahead of himself, maybe he and Ross didn't get on.

I think it was people like me demanding the best FD staff. When we finally got moving the ones we already had performing well got shoved. I think the time between planning and action is pretty slow with boards and financial limitations. By the time we realised what we had the wheel was already turning.

When I was young I used to go to Biccies Op Shop in Brighton, his mum used to run it and give me Saints gossip straight from the Pres. She was a fantastic old bird and if the apple doesn't fall far from the tree he would have been a good fella. He navigated some rough seas in that era. She reckoned that the Hawks shafted us on Waverley and used to bag the AFL for pushing us around when we were a small fish club.
Dard Ball Get add it to the list of Gringo connections

If you watched Footy Classified, Caro gave McCrae a whack for pretty much the same reason.

They didn't play the Saints (or anyone) apparently, just beat themselves, because he did not mention the opposition once in his presser - which is very unusual. She was pretty strong on it.

Stocker details ‘important’ relationship with Lyon​

A typically forthright Liam Stocker is embracing the freedom of playing on another one-year deal as he relishes his frank relationship with St Kilda coach Ross Lyon.
Advertisement

Stocker, famously the No.19 pick in the 2018 draft after then-Carlton and now-Saints list manager Stephen Silvagni made a trade with Adelaide to select him, said he had come to terms with his “footy mortality”.
[PLAYERCARD]Liam Stocker[/PLAYERCARD] is loving his AFL life at his second club St Kilda.

Liam Stocker is loving his AFL life at his second club St Kilda.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS
He has spoken openly and honestly many times about his self-professed mental health struggles, and Lyon’s role in him dealing with that is part of why he is loving his time at Moorabbin.
The 24-year-old defender’s career could have ended when the Blues cut him at the end of 2022, but Silvagni gave him a lifeline, and he has played 25 of a possible 26 matches since.
That still earned him only a second straight one-year contract for this season, but Stocker said he was content with his lot.
Advertisement
Mattaes Phillipou continues to make his mark in his second season as a Saint. “I think I’m able to put that [playing for my football life] to the side now. I’m probably at a point in my career where if I stop enjoying it, I’ll probably just pull the pin,” he said.
“I’m having so much fun doing what I’m doing, and the relationship I have with Ross is so important to why I’m enjoying my football.
“To be honest, being on one-year deals kind of feels free. If I do stop enjoying it, I’m not really letting anyone down, and I can pursue all the other things I love to do outside of football.
“It’s nice to have that kind of onus and pressure on your football – not that it doesn’t exist otherwise – but it doesn’t concern me too much.”
Advertisement

Stocker said he would take it if Silvagni put a multi-year contract in front of him, but no longer worried about things he could not control.
“That’s been my difficulty throughout my football journey – trying to control things I can’t,” he said.
“You know what? If that is the reward for consistent play, then great. If it’s not, there’s not much I can do about it.”
Stocker said a strong mutual trust between him and Lyon was the key to their relationship working at a personal and football level.
Ross Lyon (middle) is getting the best out of Stocker.

Ross Lyon (middle) is getting the best out of Stocker.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Advertisement

“It’s the most honest I’ve been with a head coach about how I’m going, obviously with my mental health struggles across the space of my career,” he said.
“I really struggled with how honest I need to be with a coach, and what time is right to talk about those things.
“With Ross, there’s a massive emphasis on when I go into games, what he expects – he doesn’t really care how I feel – but during the week, if there are things affecting me, or I need to speak with him about anything I’m worried about, then he is always open for that.
“I think that’s where the personal relationship doesn’t converge on the footy relationship we have. That’s what I found most important, and I think he’s quite similar with the rest of the players.”
- Marc McGowan

Collard is a totally unknown quantity at this point. People credited Sos for getting Henry though. He bid on him before Freo.
Collard is not an unknown quantity, we who go to training can see star all over him. Same with Wilson.

Last edited:

It's probably personalities behind it but we will be transitioning to trade/FA priorities and perhaps they felt Toce's job was largely done already. The role crossover tha Dalrymple has with Gubby make me think Gubby will step back shortly so l can see reason if it be the case.

It's probably personalities behind it but we will be transitioning to trade/FA priorities and perhaps they felt Toce's job was largely done already. The role crossover tha Dalrymple has with Gubby make me think Gubby will step back shortly so l can see reason if it be the case.
Maybe. But you’d hope we have a very strong recruiter group so that we don’t fall into historical traps. And sounds very much like we’re not nearly done with the draft according to RtB

Collard’s very much a work in process, added to that a flight risk.
I hope I’m wrong but he could ask for a trade end of the season.
saintmike65....gee.......I do hope your wrong on that one....!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back