Preview Round 4, 2024: Richmond v St.Kilda - Norwood Oval, Sunday 7th April, 3:20PM AEST *GATHER ROUND*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't bring myself to invest at the moment. Win, lose or draw, just no more injuries please.

Pretty much haha.

Just feels like trying to survive until reinforcements and home games arrive.

It's a forward for a forward really Sharman was moved out of the forward line in three games because he's been having a shocker up forward.

Strange I thought he was moved in the Cats game to quell a Cat forward.

Lyon clearly likes his versatility. good for the coach, but not so good for Sharman as he is not being allowed to settle.

It reminds me a bit of Battle who was being used in a variety of roles before being allowed to settle as a backman.

Really, really needs some work on his goal kicking if he’s playing anywhere near the forward line.
Or, in fact, anywhere.
Owens should be taking the role of Windhager this week and Sharman takes Owens spot in the forward line.

King comes back and replaces Hammer

Who they bring into the team will be interesting - they should really give Hastie a good crack

Strange I thought he was moved in the Cats game to quell a Cat forward.

Lyon clearly likes his versatility. good for the coach, but not so good for Sharman as he is not being allowed to settle.

It reminds me a bit of Battle who was being used in a variety of roles before being allowed to settle as a backman.
Yeah he has been thrown around everywhere - wing - defense and forward , to me he is a natural forward but having Membery back in the team means he is excess , imo

I was slightly (key word slightly) nervous of the tigers beating the swans, but it was more the swans playing pretty poorly. Also, ross won't allow to crap results in a row.

No Lynch, no Balta and no Baker, King back (Windy out, not ideal).

We have them on the wings, fwd and def. Pure mids they they might have us covered just. Saints by 30+

My nephew plays for Williamstown and if they have a bye or he is dropped he plays for Yarraville.
He is not an AFL listed player but surely an AFL player coming back from injury can play local footy minutes?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Something to do with the registration of the players + the insurance.

Pretty much haha.

Specifically, I find gather round as "well, South Australia needs some love I suppose, too bad no one else was really invited or they fall down, so, Ima do something else".

I like to think I'm doing my part so they have the power to exist with artificial lighting and things like refrigeration.

Then the home games come and the world is right again.

Clearly not.

8 disposals 60% ToG screams Winger...how dumb am I.

Week before 11 disposals 75% ToG

Against Cats, 14 disposals 75% ToG

...1 tackle in 3 games, I'm not that bright can someone tell me if wingman are meant to tackle.

He's a Natural wingman, or is that forward...or backman, I'm not thst bright I get confused...

2 goals in 3 games and a Natural forward, sorry I meant wingman, see this is what happens when you aren't thst bright.

Hey thanks for reminding me how dumb I am and how good our new wingman is.

Not so much dumb as mind numbingly boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharman has been trained last year at Sandy to play the way Wood does. He's physically the closest to Wood.

And why is it so important to replicate Wood? Because we win when Wood plays and don't when he doesn't.

Since he arrived at RSEA Park:

St Kilda when Wood plays: 31-23
St Kilda when Wood doesn't play: 4-13

Last St Kilda win without Mason Wood: Round 23, 2021

Pretty much haha.

Deja Vu ......... I am sounding like a broken record but surely the club is looking at this??? How is it our club since RTB has been in charge, continues to have the worst injury numbers in the competition. I dont care what sort of injuries they are or where they occur, a large percentage have to be attributed to fatigue via training and playing loads.

Im no sports scientist but I dont accept its just bad luck 2 years in a row, there is something seriously wrong at the club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deja Vu ......... I am sounding like a broken record but surely the club is looking at this??? How is it our club since RTB has been in charge, continues to have the worst injury numbers in the competition. I dont care what sort of injuries they are or where they occur, a large percentage have to be attributed to fatigue via training and playing loads.

Im no sports scientist but I dont accept its just bad luck 2 years in a row, there is something seriously wrong at the club!

We had a sizable injury list in 2007 too, so I was willing to overlook last year's injury list as the required side-effect of the way the players needed to train to undertake RL's playing method.

This year I am less inclined to excuse. Howard, Henry, & Clark all with significant "unusual" soft-tissue injuries.

I'm not a sports scientist either, but this is my take on it.

Howard: Hamstring. This type of injury can be reduced by proper training management, but i doubt that it can be eliminated.

Dow : Knee injury.
" I had an incident where I twisted my knee and got bone bruising, and the bone bruising was pretty bad. If you keep training with bone bruising it just gets worse and worse, so I just have to rest it.”

Clark : Calf. Strained calf during training. Potentially this kind of injury can be reduced via proper training.

Van Es : After ankle surgery last year, he had to have an additional procedure to remove a screw that was causing discomfort. Sounds to me like the normal sort of complication that can occur after surgery of this type.

Allison : Ligament damage ( MCL ) during a preseason practice game. Not sure that any club has found a way to eliminate ligament damage.

Paton : Pectoral muscle strain. Hunter warned him about those weights. ( Could be caused by inappropriate training loads ).

Wood : Collarbone Contact with Cordy.

Crouch : Knee. This was a bit sus, he played VFL after appearing lame in AFL the week before.

Henry : Hamstring

So four soft tissue injuries, in theory these could be reduced, but they probably can't be eliminated.

Crouch's knee possibly not managed well, potentially out for longer than he might have been.

Three knee injuries. These are an issue for all clubs. Solution , don't play AFL.

Lots of injuries seemed to occur at training, suggesting that training has been pretty full on. Not sure we want to go down the path of "light" training.

Some of the injuries seem to be taking longer than normal for recovery. Can be influenced by management.

Scientician - I will grant you, that does sound very official.......do you have any elixirs I could buy? I'm looking for something that will keep me young forever......

Maybe we should get some sports scientologists on board. I heard that the thetan's can enhance healing.

I'm not a sports scientist either, but this is my take on it.

Howard: Hamstring. This type of injury can be reduced by proper training management, but i doubt that it can be eliminated.

Dow : Knee injury.
" I had an incident where I twisted my knee and got bone bruising, and the bone bruising was pretty bad. If you keep training with bone bruising it just gets worse and worse, so I just have to rest it.”

Clark : Calf. Strained calf during training. Potentially this kind of injury can be reduced via proper training.

Van Es : After ankle surgery last year, he had to have an additional procedure to remove a screw that was causing discomfort. Sounds to me like the normal sort of complication that can occur after surgery of this type.

Allison : Ligament damage ( MCL ) during a preseason practice game. Not sure that any club has found a way to eliminate ligament damage.

Paton : Pectoral muscle strain. Hunter warned him about those weights. ( Could be caused by inappropriate training loads ).

Wood : Collarbone Contact with Cordy.

Crouch : Knee. This was a bit sus, he played VFL after appearing lame in AFL the week before.

Henry : Hamstring

So four soft tissue injuries, in theory these could be reduced, but they probably can't be eliminated.

Crouch's knee possibly not managed well, potentially out for longer than he might have been.

Three knee injuries. These are an issue for all clubs. Solution , don't play AFL.

Lots of injuries seemed to occur at training, suggesting that training has been pretty full on. Not sure we want to go down the path of "light" training.

Some of the injuries seem to be taking longer than normal for recovery. Can be influenced by management.
Howard’s hamstring happened in a game. Pretty standard thing to occur throughout the league. Not a lot you can do. It’s not a repetitive injury for him which implies he is managed well.

Clark first big soft tissue and from those that were there they could immediately tell it was a bad one. Can’t really manage this. Can’t blame loading for it either.

Paton occurred in match sim during a tackle. Has already had the recovery shortened. How is the club at fault here?

Crouch reinjured himself and tried to play through. He himself made the call he was fit in round 1. Hence his demotion the following week to see if he could show that he was okay. Unlucky.

Dow was training and they thought ACL initially. Hard to say that’s anything other then unlucky that he is injured. Lucky that it isn’t 12 months.

Howard’s hamstring happened in a game. Pretty standard thing to occur throughout the league. Not a lot you can do. It’s not a repetitive injury for him which implies he is managed well.

Clark first big soft tissue and from those that were there they could immediately tell it was a bad one. Can’t really manage this. Can’t blame loading for it either.

Paton occurred in match sim during a tackle. Has already had the recovery shortened. How is the club at fault here?

Crouch reinjured himself and tried to play through. He himself made the call he was fit in round 1. Hence his demotion the following week to see if he could show that he was okay. Unlucky.

Dow was training and they thought ACL initially. Hard to say that’s anything other then unlucky that he is injured. Lucky that it isn’t 12 months.

Didn't realise that Paton got his during a tackle. Pec strain is a bit of a strange one.

I don't disagree with you.
Soft tissue injuries can be alleviated by training /exercise loads.
Back in the Sam Fisher/Max Hudgton days, it was recognised that defenders like Sam, who would be only lightly moving for a while, then sprinting flat out, and that those sort of players should have different exercise programs to those who are playing on-ball.
The club had good results with their individualised training programs, and the guy who recognised the need and implemented the program was Dave Misson. So i expect we're pretty much on the ball with things.

Yeah I don't think we've seen much to suggest players are being mismanaged at this stage.
Wasn't sure that Crouch re-injured, I took that to be that playing at Sandy was to 'test' it out before deciding whether we needed to send him for surgery? Could be mistaken.

I think it's just terrible timing exacerbated by silly suspensions and an unusual fixture to start the year. Have had zero chance to settle with constant personnel changes and playing at sideshow venues like geelong and norwood

Yeah I don't think we've seen much to suggest players are being mismanaged at this stage.
Wasn't sure that Crouch re-injured, I took that to be that playing at Sandy was to 'test' it out before deciding whether we needed to send him for surgery? Could be mistaken.

I think it's just terrible timing exacerbated by silly suspensions and an unusual fixture to start the year. Have had zero chance to settle with constant personnel changes and playing at sideshow venues like geelong and norwood
Reinjured before round 1.

Ross backs in senior pros to say if they are fit to go. Crouch said yes for round 1.

Sandy was a demotion to test it out.

Couldn’t go and pulled at half time.

We had a sizable injury list in 2007 too, so I was willing to overlook last year's injury list as the required side-effect of the way the players needed to train to undertake RL's playing method.

This year I am less inclined to excuse. Howard, Henry, & Clark all with significant "unusual" soft-tissue injuries.
3 soft tissues isn't an unusual amount amongst injury lists. Most teams have 2-4 hammies/calves/quads etc.

The best indicator for our injuries is Zak Jones. If he's fit and healthy, we're doing something right.

Didn't realise that Paton got his during a tackle. Pec strain is a bit of a strange one.

I don't disagree with you.
Soft tissue injuries can be alleviated by training /exercise loads.
Back in the Sam Fisher/Max Hudgton days, it was recognised that defenders like Sam, who would be only lightly moving for a while, then sprinting flat out, and that those sort of players should have different exercise programs to those who are playing on-ball.
The club had good results with their individualised training programs, and the guy who recognised the need and implemented the program was Dave Misson. So i expect we're pretty much on the ball with things.
Yes they can.

But you have to measure it against type of soft tissue injuries and total % of injuries being soft tissue.

You can’t say we have a chronic issue with a particular soft tissue at current and it makes up a small portion of our injury list.

Which back to Ross’s point last week. It doesn’t seem to be a significant issue. It’s more frustrating due to timing

But we could easily say those 3 suspensions have cost us just as bad if not worse then the injuries at current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back