Preview Cats V North Sun April 14 1pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love a COS debut, but I doubt it.

Kolo management/injury comes at a perfect time anyway. Norf have got no key forward options outside of Larkey who SDK will take.

We'll need Kolo against Brisbane so it works out well, but both him and Henry don't really have an opponent this week, and COS wouldn't either, unless we're messing with the magnets.
COS will play against all sized opponents at AFL level for his first couple of seasons at least.

I'd be sneaking a game to COS if appropriate. We may need to rely on him later if any of the talls are injured. This would be a good time to get him some experience.

Probability wise though I think you're right and that it's unlikely to happen.

COS will play against all sized opponents at AFL level for his first couple of seasons at least.

I'd be sneaking a game to COS if appropriate. We may need to rely on him later if any of the talls are injured. This would be a good time to get him some experience.

Perfect time to get a game into COS would be our second against Hawks or the last round against WCE

Perfect time to get a game into COS would be our second against Hawks or the last round against WCE
We have different definitions of perfect which is fine.

Perfect to me is an early home debut, giving the kid a taste for when he may be needed.

Kolo has availability issues here and there now, a head knock and we're looking at a couple of weeks. J.Henry and those pesky feet, then SDK gets rag dolled at times.

COS debuting now rather than when forced to against a finals contender makes more sense to me.

We have different definitions of perfect which is fine.

Perfect to me is an early home debut, giving the kid a taste for when he may be needed.

Kolo has availability issues here and there now, a head knock and we're looking at a couple of weeks. J.Henry and those pesky feet, then SDK gets rag dolled at times.

COS debuting now rather than when forced to against a finals contender makes more sense to me.
If that is the case we should debut someone every week until we no longer have anyone to debut just in case we need them. Cause anyone at anytime could be out a few weeks due to a head knock or hammy etc

If that is the case we should debut someone every week until we no longer have anyone to debut just in case we need them. Cause anyone at anytime could be out a few weeks due to a head knock or hammy etc
Not really liking your tone. We have already done exactly that with Clark, Conway, Neale, Mullin and Mannagh over the past couple of seasons.

If you can't understand or don't agree with the context I provided, fair enough. I think it's a good time for COS to step in for Kolo if he's carrying an issue, you don't. Let's move on.

Not really liking your tone.

If you can't understand or don't agree with the context I provided, fair enough. I think it's a good time for COS to step in for Kolo, you don't. Let's move on.
If i came across as aggressive i didn't mean to and i apologize if i did.

If the Coaches think COS is ready to get a taste this week i am 100% behind them i just don't think using a potential injury that may or may not happen as justification for it.

From the VFL games i have seen he isn't ready but those again as i stated in another one of my posts is my opinion. And i will 100% back the coaches.

Last edited:
If i cam across as aggressive i didn't mean to and i apologize if i did.

If the Coaches think COS is ready to get a taste this week i am 100% behind them i just don't think using a potential injury that may or may not happen as justification for it.

From the VFL games i have seen he isn't ready but those again as i stated in another one of my posts is my opinion. And i will 100% back the coaches.
No worries, I wasn't sure.

I have no doubt that COS will display Mullin-type greenness at this stage. If Kolo is actually fine, then it's not even a talking point. Otherwise, without disrespecting the opposition, NM at home seems like a "friendly" type of game to get his debut in. And from memory we've had a habit of debuting players in these types of fixtures.

Let's put it this way, COS isn't on my radar for the 6 week tough stretch after that. But I would like to see him in action. The bonus would be having that bedding in game before he's relied on in the future - as I noted our tall stocks don't have impeccable availability over the past season or two. And we don't have depth to cover them like we do in other areas.

* he looks different now.

He still looks good but damn i am going to miss that hair.
Cutting his hair is actually going to make him faster, it was weighted training hair. His sprint speed just went up 27%.

As for selection, if Kolo goes out I think we could see a debut for O'Sullivan only because we have seen we like to keep structures. Besides, if we batter North it could be really good for the kid to get some match experience against one of the leagues best forwards, or to have a back up if SDK struggles/gets injured/needs a breather.

I like this idea I want to see him in action seems to be doing well in vfl.

No worries, I wasn't sure.

I have no doubt that COS will display Mullin-type greenness at this stage. If Kolo is actually fine, then it's not even a talking point. Otherwise, without disrespecting the opposition, NM at home seems like a "friendly" type of game to get his debut in. And from memory we've had a habit of debuting players in these types of fixtures.

Let's put it this way, COS isn't on my radar for the 6 week tough stretch after that. But I would like to see him in action. The bonus would be having that bedding in game before he's relied on in the future - as I noted our tall stocks don't have impeccable availability over the past season or two. And we don't have depth to cover them like we do in other areas.

VFL/2nds footy at times can be so misleading.... who you play, 'who a player is playing on', strength of opposition and/or player he is playing on, what position they're playing, what role they are asked to play, what stage are they in their development, there are so many variables that can mask what potential or non potential a player may have, this is where gut instinct and a general understanding of what it takes to be a good and successful long-term AFL player can come into play and can make all the difference or NOT as to whether a player can make the grade as a successful AFL player.

Too many people here on Big Footy go on stats, stats, stats and more effen stats, it at times simple drives me crazy how obsessed certain Big Footy members are sucked into player stats whether at AFL or VFL level. Point in question is a Geelong Big Footy member going back sometime ago went on forever and a day statistically from GWS games as to why Tanner Bruhn wasn't going to make it with the Cats and continued that theme even in his new role as on-baller until only a couple of weeks ago, the absurdity of it all was truly mind-boggling. Yet I knew nothing at all of Tanner Bruhn until I seen him play in a preseason hit-out against the Hawks at Kardinia Park and before he played a single game for us, yet within seeing him play one hour of footy in that preseason game I could see he had the makings of a very good AFL player and STATS had nothing to do with it, it was just seeing Tanner in this one hour of footy that I wanted as many games put into him to fast track him as earlier as possible and I made comments as such on our Geelong Big Footy site at time (so it wasn't after the fact) and the same applies with COS, his 2nd half in preseason hit-out against the Blues was no different to how I viewed Tanner Bruhn, with the only difference being he was younger than what Tanner was at time but this kid (COS) has so much talent and is such a natural footballer with a high footy IQ that he, even at this early stage of his development can be good and flexible enough to play AFL games if he was to be granted them, of course we do not want to gift him games but I think we'd be very pleasantly surprised to how well he would preform, same as Ollie Dempsey who I've been eager for a long time to get as many games into him as well, although admittedly with the pre-season just past, his body is far more AFL ready, so give him another couple of seasons and he'll be enormous for us as well.

So Mr Meow, I'm in full agreeance with you when it comes to COS about playing him ASAP and I do think we'll be pleasantly surprised how well he'll preform if we give him half a chance..... well let's hope so anyway, but to be sure either way he'll one day be a outstanding player for the CATTERS !!!!

Last edited:
2nds footy at times can be so misleading.... who you play, 'who a player is playing on', (strength of opposition and player he is playing on), what position they're playing, what role they are asked to play, what stage are they in their development, there are so many variables that can mask what potential or non potential a player may have, this is where gut instinct and a general understanding of what it takes to be a good and successful long-term AFL player can come into play and can make all the difference or NOT as to whether a player can make the grade as a successful AFL player.

Too many people here on Big Footy go on stats, stats, stats and more effen stats, it at times simple drives me crazy how obsessed certain Big Footy members are sucked into player stats whether at AFL or VFL level. Point in question is a Geelong Big Footy member going back sometime ago went on forever and a day statically from GWS games as to why Tanner Bruhn wasn't going to make it with the Cats and continued that theme even in his new role as on-baller until only a couple of weeks ago, the absurdity of it all was truly mind-boggling. Yet I knew nothing at all of Tanner Bruhn until I seen him play in a preseason hit-out against the Hawks at Kardinia Park and before he played a single game for us, yet within seeing him play one hour of footy in that preseason game I could see he had the makings of a very good AFL player and STATS had nothing to do with it, it was just seeing Tanner in this one hour of footy that I wanted as many games put into him to fast track him as earlier as possible and I made comments as such on our Geelong Big Footy site at time (so it wasn't after the fact) and the same applies with COS, his 2nd half in preseason hit-out against The Blues was no different to how I viewed Tanner Bruhn, with the only difference being he was younger than what Tanner was at time but this kid (COS) has so much talent and is such a natural footballer with a high footy IQ that he, even at this early stage of his development can be good and flexible enough to play AFL games if he was to be granted them, of course we do not want to gift him games but I think we'd be very pleasantly surprised how well he would preform, same as Ollie Dempsey who I've been eager for a long time to get as many games into him as well, although admittedly with the pre-season just past, his body is far more AFL ready, so give him another couple of seasons and he'll be enormous for us as well.

So Mr Meow, I'm in full agreeance with you when it comes to COS about playing him ASAP and I do think we'll be pleasantly surprised how well he'll preform if we give him half a chance..... well let's hope so anyway, but to be sure either way he'll one day be a outstanding player for the CATTERS !!!!
Thanks you for this I'll I will save and read next time my internet provider has me on hold.:):)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite Cats 4-0 start, structural issues remain
Bulldogs exposed the Cats Achilles Heel
Taking 16 intercept contested marks inside F50
Cats need a tall, strong marking, power forward
Jezza is a far-roaming forward, best fast leading.
Hawkins is best 1 on 1 or leading into space
Ollie Henry is too small against big defenders.
Neale needs to come into the Cats forward line.
His job would be stop defensive intercept marks.
Compete in the air and bring the ball to ground.
This stops defenders double teaming Hawkins.
A regular tactic used by most of the top teams
Lets Jezza roam and takes pressure off O'Henry
Creates more opportunities for our skilled smalls
Gives Neale experience before becoming Key Fwd.
I don't think Neale is good.

Thanks you for this I'll I will save and read next time my internet provider has me on hold.:):)
And there lies the problem YPO, guys spending too much of their effen time on the internet doing and learning SFA about nothing and then have the temerity to quote facts and stats from another internet site that generally is based and supported by more useless information, oh what a tangled web we weave. So next time you get put on hold by your internet provider it may be best to indeed read what I've stated so you may actually learn about something rather than trying to be a comic genius..... GO CATS !!! 😀😀

Last edited:
Wondering (out loud) whether they will play both Stanley and Conway this weekend? Only way that happens in my mind is if we rested Blitz. Whilst the lack of public celebration of Stanley milestone made me query whether he was going to get managed, the more I think of it I would be shocked if they manage him on 199 games…so he will play.

Question is does Conway play VFL and then be ready for Brisbane (tough game) or Carlton and/or Demons or do they give him another game but this time play 2 rucks?

If he does play VFL this week does he go from “managed” to “omitted”?

Wondering (out loud) whether they will play both Stanley and Conway this weekend? Only way that happens in my mind is if we rested Blitz. Whilst the lack of public celebration of Stanley milestone made me query whether he was going to get managed, the more I think of it I would be shocked if they manage him on 199 games…so he will play.

Question is does Conway play VFL and then be ready for Brisbane (tough game) or Carlton and/or Demons or do they give him another game but this time play 2 rucks?

I think both will play.
Then they will Sub one of them
Out in the 3rd quarter if the games done and dusted

Personally I'd like to see us experiment a little in this game because we'll be winning this game comfortably no matter which way we go. So with Reese Stanley and Toby Conway CHAWKTS: they are currently both better footballers and ruckman 'when fresh' being both built on the lean side, which also means not being over-rucked within a game but rather keep them both fresh during game by rucking them in tandem and by doing this they can run and jump and be more dominate, making our midfield with the inclusion of Danger even more potent, plus we get to develop Toby quicker and they are both capable of also taking marks around the ground as the fresher they are the better they will be. If necessary we can always sub one of the two out of game at some stage depending on who is playing the better of the two at the time and then bring Blitz into the picture. I'd also like us to include Shannon Neale into forward line to jump/mark/crash packs or just make sure he spoils the contest to bring footy to ground for our potent smalls, so as to assist with our current number one achilles heel in regards to the opposition contested marks in back half as it's happening far to frequently. Of course this can leave us collectively with too many talls which it likely would be but I'd just like to see as a experiment what may look OK as to what won't, food for thought anyway.

Last edited:
And there lies the problem YPO, guys spending too much of their effen time on the internet doing and learning SFA about nothing and then have the temerity to quote facts and stats from another internet site that generally is based and supported by more useless information, oh what a tangled web we weave. So next time you get put on hold by your internet provider it may be best to indeed read what I've stated so you may actually learn about something rather than trying to be a comic genius..... GO CATS !!! 😀😀
When I research anything on the WWW I go first to videos honest my attention span for text is poor I'm getting on a bit and have never been able read a book from cover to cover so please don't be offended.Glad you seen it as it was intended lite hearted comedy.

Hopefully the club don't go too crazy tinkering this weekend with the team, the thing about a team like North is there will be a few rounds this year where it all goes their way and they get a win.

For the banter, you don't want to be the team they play that weekend.
For our momentum, we don't want it to be us. Especially with the matches we have coming up.

When I research anything on the WWW I go first to videos honest my attention span for text is poor I'm getting on a bit and have never been able read a book from cover to cover so please don't be offended.Glad you seen it as it was intended lite hearted comedy.
I first had a good laugh YPO, so no offence taken and by the way I'm not getting any younger too, so much so if I get put on hold for anything I get pissed off big-time and have little patience to even to listen to elevator music while on hold, so in other words YPO I have the patience and attention span of a 4yo...... cheers Richard and GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
My best guess
In: Neale, Mullin
Out: Hawkins - rest, Tuohy - injured

Tuohy could be out even without the injury cloud to be honest.

I'd love to bring Conway back in, but would we take him to the Gabba with us the next week? Don't want to bring him in for one week stints, and Stanley just had his best game for the last 2 years. Might still be worth it in the long run.

Give Danger another week off to recover fully, we are in a fortunate position at 4-0 that we dont need to rush anyone.

People want to give Hawkins a game to find "form" and get "confidence", the bloke has been one of the best in the business the last 10 years. Just had one game were he was well held. Personally I think we benefit more by sneaking a game into Neale, while giving Hawkins a week to recover.

Yet I knew nothing at all of Tanner Bruhn until I seen him play in a preseason hit-out against the Hawks at Kardinia Park and before he played a single game for us, yet within seeing him play one hour of footy in that preseason game I could see he had the makings of a very good AFL player and STATS had nothing to do with it, it was just seeing Tanner in this one hour of footy that I wanted as many games put into him to fast track him as earlier as possible and I made comments as such on our Geelong Big Footy site at time (so it wasn't after the fact) and the same applies with COS, his 2nd half in preseason hit-out against the Blues was no different to how I viewed Tanner Bruhn, with the only difference being he was younger than what Tanner was at time but this kid (COS) has so much talent and is such a natural footballer with a high footy IQ that he, even at this early stage of his development can be good and flexible enough to play AFL games if he was to be granted them, of course we do not want to gift him games but I think we'd be very pleasantly surprised to how well he would preform, same as Ollie Dempsey who I've been eager for a long time to get as many games into him as well, although admittedly with the pre-season just past, his body is far more AFL ready, so give him another couple of seasons and he'll be enormous for us as well
Can anyone please buy this poster a full stop? My eyes are out of breath

Thing with Bruhn was it was hard to see his ceiling as GWS had him playing as a forward when his ideal spot was as a mid.

Showed a lot last year, has gone on with it this year and I expect he will be even better the next 2 years and become crucial to our success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back