Preview Geelong V North Sun Jul 9 110pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menegola is a bigger bodied midfielder at this stage. Knevitt and Dempsey probably still need a preseason or two (to be able to handle the rigours of) and they're not really going to help us get there this year.

If we are to play finals then Menegola is the best option and worth getting into the seniors now so as to build cohesion and help put a stop to our woeful clearance rate especially in centre bounces (I really hope Cam is back soon).

If he is good to go, then play him.

Yes and no - Menegola isn't small, but it's more that he's a good sized winger rather than being a big bodied midfielder that we'd see in the guts at centre bounces

Over his career he averages 2.4 clearances is 1.8 stoppage clearances to only 0.6 centre bounce clearances. He attends the odd centre bounce, but it's not really been his thing over his career

We're missing Guthrie, while the club would have being looking to Parfitt to step up but he's been off kilter this season - so I agree another big bodied mid on the inside would be good, I'm not sure that a guy who's continually played his best football on the wing is necessarily the answer or solution to that issue

Yes and no - Menegola isn't small, but it's more that he's a good sized winger rather than being a big bodied midfielder that we'd see in the guts at centre bounces

Over his career he averages 2.4 clearances is 1.8 stoppage clearances to only 0.6 centre bounce clearances. He attends the odd centre bounce, but it's not really been his thing over his career

We're missing Guthrie, while the club would have being looking to Parfitt to step up but he's been off kilter this season - so I agree another big bodied mid on the inside would be good, I'm not sure that a guy who's continually played his best football on the wing is necessarily the answer or solution to that issue

This- Gola is a gut runner who can mark, not an inside beast. Good player but not the solution to our current shortcomings.

TBF that's probably down to the calibre of players he's been competing with over his career to an extent.

Previously he's been up against Danger, Selwood, Cuthrie, Tim Kelly, Duncan (when he played more midfield). There have also been players (Parfitt, Scott selwood etc.) who can't really play anywhere but inside mid, so Menegola has been forced to the outside to a degree. Our current midfield is a lot weaker than this, so if fully fit, he could have been useful in there this year.

But as you say he's played well on the wing previously, and his ability overhead and tank good traits for a winger. It's all a moot point anyway because he's been injured so much.

The thing which Menegola brings which we sadly lack in our current midfield crop, is getting his damn hands on the ball.
There is that. There is also his maddening tendency to wildly overestimate the time he has to safely dispose of the ball once he has it in his possession.

Dennis Cometti's 'delusions of adequacy' does sadly spring to mind when he lifts his arms and looks to take on the three tacklers headed his way.

TBF that's probably down to the calibre of players he's been competing with over his career to an extent.

Previously he's been up against Danger, Selwood, Cuthrie, Tim Kelly, Duncan (when he played more midfield). There have also been players (Parfitt, Scott selwood etc.) who can't really play anywhere but inside mid, so Menegola has been forced to the outside to a degree. Our current midfield is a lot weaker than this, so if fully fit, he could have been useful in there this year.

But as you say he's played well on the wing previously, and his ability overhead and tank good traits for a winger. It's all a moot point anyway because he's been injured so much.

It's been interesting watching Smith over they past 12 months or so because we know how strong he has been across his career on the wing, especially with his endurance level & that long left foot kick of his. But over the last 12 months he seems to have played more from the HFF as we've bought guys like Holmes thru on the wing, and I'm not sure it's necessarily a role that's suited him

The role Smith's been playing is one I think Menegola would have been really suited to - it still presents him the opportunity to get on his bike, but Sam is a much better mark & we know he loves a shot on goal

Watching Menegola last year, he's lack of pace especially over those first few steps did seem to leave him as a weak link at times when we were trying to play on a bit more, and have faster ball movement

If he does find a sufficient level of match fitness & form in the VFL, wonder if they'd look at playing him more in that Smith type role with Smith going back to the wing where he plays his best football

It'll be interesting to watch the VFL this weekend, and the good thing is that they play after the seniors - for those that find themselves on the emergency list & not playing seniors, potentially Menegola, it'll be interesting to see where they play in that VFL match as that will tell us a bit about where the coaches see a role for them in the seniors. If Menegola is playing primarily an outside role in the VFL, not sure we're then going to throw him in the guts in the seniors - maybe they give him a chance in the guts to see what he can do

I wouldn't say Knevitt was "dropped 'after the Bulldogs game - 17 disposals and a crucial goal would have made the MC happy enough. He simply made way for returning players as I recall.

In hindsight he probably should have been retained - he couldn't be any worse than some of the players in our team who have been shadows of themselves this season.

Meanwhile I think Bowes is in to give him some AFL time, which makes sense I suppose, but he'd better start to produce some of the elite disposal we were told about.

As for Smith, whatever he does in the remainder of this season, we will forever appreciate his 2 goals in 5 minutes in the first stanza in the GF. Plus he is a leftie and lefties are a very are breed at Geelong, though I note there are a few sin the VFL.

The thing which Menegola brings which we sadly lack in our current midfield crop, is getting his damn hands on the ball.

I don’t think he is ready yet, but he is straight in when ready.

He also kick goals - he is a good kick and a reliable kick

Interested to know how many goals he has kicked in his career

It's been interesting watching Smith over they past 12 months or so because we know how strong he has been across his career on the wing, especially with his endurance level & that long left foot kick of his. But over the last 12 months he seems to have played more from the HFF as we've bought guys like Holmes thru on the wing, and I'm not sure it's necessarily a role that's suited him

The role Smith's been playing is one I think Menegola would have been really suited to - it still presents him the opportunity to get on his bike, but Sam is a much better mark & we know he loves a shot on goal

Watching Menegola last year, he's lack of pace especially over those first few steps did seem to leave him as a weak link at times when we were trying to play on a bit more, and have faster ball movement

If he does find a sufficient level of match fitness & form in the VFL, wonder if they'd look at playing him more in that Smith type role with Smith going back to the wing where he plays his best football

It'll be interesting to watch the VFL this weekend, and the good thing is that they play after the seniors - for those that find themselves on the emergency list & not playing seniors, potentially Menegola, it'll be interesting to see where they play in that VFL match as that will tell us a bit about where the coaches see a role for them in the seniors. If Menegola is playing primarily an outside role in the VFL, not sure we're then going to throw him in the guts in the seniors - maybe they give him a chance in the guts to see what he can do

Loves a shot on goal is being kind- he's a hungers, sometimes successful sometimes not. He deserves a shot and I hope they find a role for him, as middling as Smith's skills have been, his motor is superb and I think run map tops Sam's. Would like another look at VFL level too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like we arent really taking the oppo seriously this week which is a bit disappointing to say the least.

For their sake and ours i hope Mullin and O'Connor play well as it feels like they are only in because of 2E's milestone. Not sure what more Knevitt and Dempsey have to do to get a game.

Feels like we arent really taking the oppo seriously this week which is a bit disappointing to say the least.

For their sake and ours i hope Mullin and O'Connor play well as it feels like they are only in because of 2E's milestone. Not sure what more Knevitt and Dempsey have to do to get a game.
Do they deserve to be taken seriously?

They've dug their own grave if anything.

For their sake and ours i hope Mullin and O'Connor play well as it feels like they are only in because of 2E's milestone
. Not sure what more Knevitt and Dempsey have to do to get a game.

They're in because they're better replacements for Bews and Kolo than any of the other alternatives.

Also Mullin showed good signs in his first two games, so I see nothing wrong with bringing him back in.

I'm not really keen in Mullin a game... this guy wouldn't of even played 10 footy games in his life.. I would of thought playing rest of the season in the VFL, just so he how to understand playing the game. Guys like Knevitt or even Whyte who should be getting games in the AFL. I just don't really understand in why he should be playing AFL right now. I'm happy to see the guy get time, but surely other guys like Whyte and even Neale could of got a crack this week.
I just think playing the rest of this year in the VFL is better of for him

Knevitt was building nicely when they dropped him without reason and Dempsey could be anything. There ceiling is so much higher than parfitt or menegola. We have to be bold to win it from here so play the kids and see if they can create the spark that's been missing all year
Menegola probably should of got an all australian gig in his last full season. Are you saying we can already declare knevitts potential all australian level?

I'm not really keen in Mullin a game... this guy wouldn't of even played 10 footy games in his life.. I would of thought playing rest of the season in the VFL, just so he how to understand playing the game. Guys like Knevitt or even Whyte who should be getting games in the AFL. I just don't really understand in why he should be playing AFL right now. I'm happy to see the guy get time, but surely other guys like Whyte and even Neale could of got a crack this week.
Smacks of arrogance I reckon,in what world does he get a start before Knevitt?

I think he’s in due to the fact Bews is out
Nothing more, nothing less

They have one target up forward they rest are smalls, surely Jack Henry plays forward ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back