Preview Geelong V North Sun Jul 9 110pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it having a bit more too it than just form in the VFL. Sometimes you have to back in the elder statesmen if you have belief in what they once produced to reproduce it again. People talk about getting games and belief only with the kids, but what about the elder statesman with proven runs on the board? it should go both ways.

Menegola will not be better off for a month in the VFL system, he will be better off with a month in the AFL system.

i would go further and ask the question, if we are trying to win the flag, who would be a better contributor in 2023?

a fully fit menegola up and running, or a fully fit dempsey or knevitt up and firing?

i know my answer for the here and now of a flag attempt who to build form into. But in terms of future output, obviously the latter two get the nodd. And will all due respect to those two kids, they have shown very little at AFL to give confidence they will be future locks at AFL level, but the signs are promising from the exposure so far.
Knevitt was building nicely when they dropped him without reason and Dempsey could be anything. There ceiling is so much higher than parfitt or menegola. We have to be bold to win it from here so play the kids and see if they can create the spark that's been missing all year

he might be past it, but given the predicament we are in dempsey or knevitt are not going to turn up and get 25-3- touches in the midfield and go head to head with the best midfielders just yet, you can bank that..... I feel menegola if he finds some form can match it and go another level.

if the aim is the flag, i am all for the risk of it going bust or pulling it off if we still think we are a genuine contender.

Whoevers playing best in the seconds should be named, Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Knevitt was building nicely when they dropped him without reason and Dempsey could be anything. There ceiling is so much higher than parfitt or menegola. We have to be bold to win it from here so play the kids and see if they can create the spark that's been missing all year
Dropped him without reason? With Holmes and Duncan returning it was either Bruhn or Knevitt dropped. Bruhn has been decent so I'd say that was the reason.

They could've managed Smith a week earlier though.

The old 'invent' an injury to kolo so we dont have to drop sav trick.

Would be nice to see menegola back but i reckon knevitt makes the bench and mena playd vfl again.

They might do that. But I watched the last two VFL games and he is a long way off being back to anywhere near what he needs to be. that might come quickly (ie. long way isn’t time wise just pace of the game)…and if it does he will be given a shot ahead of the kids - fair or not

He is still class he is just rusty. Needs to find it quick though.

I am not saying you are wrong. But I think relying on menegola to get us out of any predicament is just about as risky as a young fella. Remembering they chose not to play mene at the pointy end last year too

be good if he gets a game or two to test out whether he can be an option for us. no stress. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t make it back. Let’s see
Only the club knows really and will select accordingly.

One thing I know for sure is knevitt and Dempsey are not our answers to an A grade midfielder in 2023.

Whoevers playing best in the seconds should be named, Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.
Like constable tearing it up in the VFL every week with 30 touches and BOG?? And half of the geelong board carrying on how he is being treated unfairly, then goes to GCS and also gets put in the reserves.

Again, it’s never as simplistic as who performs better in the twos should play ahead

The old 'invent' an injury to kolo so we dont have to drop sav trick.

Would be nice to see menegola back but i reckon knevitt makes the bench and mena playd vfl again.
They are similar in a lot of ways except knevitt has a bit more wheel and go than old menegola.

But both similar overhead, contested footy, field coverage for miles, and both good readers of the play.

I wouldn’t call our deficiencies in the midfield an issue a spark will fix, it is an issue of lack of elite talent. The only player who is experienced and historically has played A grade midfield footy I can think of to potentially address some of the concern is menegola in the immediate future.

Dempsey and knevitt are longer term options and won’t be achieving anything special this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind we rest I Smith, and give Jezza another week. I would've even contemplated resting Tomahawk and playing Neale for this one, and play Knevitt deep forward (because he can mark) with rotations in midfield with Dangerfield. There is enough cavalry to get the job done.

You have to play Mullin if Bews is out too.

Don't mind we rest I Smith, and give Jezza another week. I would've even contemplated resting Tomahawk and playing Neale for this one, and play Knevitt deep forward (because he can mark) with rotations in midfield with Dangerfield. There is enough cavalry to get the job done.

You have to play Mullin if Bews is out too.
You have to really appreciate the recruitment of mullin, as he is the obvious bews replacement and coming in at the perfect time to take over the mantle

Dropped him without reason? With Holmes and Duncan returning it was either Bruhn or Knevitt dropped. Bruhn has been decent so I'd say that was the reason.

They could've managed Smith a week earlier though.
Bowes is the one that took his spot

They could have kept Knevitt in the side ahead of Bowes, Sav, or Ollie Henry
Fair to assume they had a reason for dropping him. It's common for younger players to go up and back as a way to manage loads, for instance. He's been playing great but lots of reasons why they might hold someone back as part of their development.

Hmm i like that but Dempsey is the player in form so would have him in the 22 over Knevitt and the sub toss up between Mullin and Knevitt.

I am surprised Hardie isn't even mentioned in that list though
I think Knevitt was very stiff to be dropped when he was. Also think Dempsey is a year of being AFL ready and think Knevitt is one of those players that is better at AFL level than he is at VFL

But is he the best option for that, or would either of Knevitt or Dempsey who've been out performing him in the midfield in the VFL be better options?

The Menegola of two years ago would be no question about his inclusion after just 2 games in the VFL, but he's now 31 & he's never been the quickest of players, and I just wonder if we'd be better served with a younger & quicker option
Menegola is a bigger bodied midfielder at this stage. Knevitt and Dempsey probably still need a preseason or two (to be able to handle the rigours of) and they're not really going to help us get there this year.

If we are to play finals then Menegola is the best option and worth getting into the seniors now so as to build cohesion and help put a stop to our woeful clearance rate especially in centre bounces (I really hope Cam is back soon).

If he is good to go, then play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back