Preview Geelong V Essendon - The Scott Cup - Sat 15th July 725pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we beat ess there's a chance for top 4 which seems crazy considering we've yet to play 4 full quarters of good football. At this point I need to ask how bad do we need to play in order not to make the top 8, seems like the comp is hell bent on us making the finals. Everythings coming up Geelong.

The other way to look at this team is the broader squad including emergencies.

I think if you replace Dempsey and Mullin with Guthrie and Bews you probably get our best 26 - finals squad… if all available best 23 come from that squad

I think then we have Dempsey, Mullin, Knevitt and either menegola/parf/Ceglar as the 4 to round out 30 man squad - only needed if injuries…

To me that 26 is as good as the 26 we had last year (and top 30 is better again than top 30 last year).

So to steal a phrase from another poster “no excuses” from here. It is now just a matter of form, cohesion and injury (or is that an excuse?). On paper we are primed for a run to back to back!!
Yeah they're all the excuses that poster hasn't accepted.

If we beat ess there's a chance for top 4 which seems crazy considering we've yet to play 4 full quarters of good football. At this point I need to ask how bad do we need to play in order not to make the top 8, seems like the comp is hell bent on us making the finals. Everythings coming up Geelong.

Can hope Melbourne lose tomorrow but they have the softest soft serve run home ever.
Maybe fifth will be our go, if the dice fall right.

The cards are lining up for a strong side (with players such as Dangerfield, Holmes, Rohan and Duncan a few games under their belt) available during the tough run home. Which is why I refused to write the Cats off as this seemed a not unlikely scenario.

Time for the boys to show the side isn't just strong on paper and get a run of wins going.

Can hope Melbourne lose tomorrow but they have the softest soft serve run home ever.
Maybe fifth will be our go, if the dice fall right.
I wouldn't say its soft. On current form, I'd say all of Adelaide, Richmond and Carlton would fancy themselves a chance of beating Melb on a good day. Definitely not the hardest draw, but there are a couple banana peel games for sure.

I wouldn't say its soft. On current form, I'd say all of Adelaide, Richmond and Carlton would fancy themselves a chance of beating Melb on a good day. Definitely not the hardest draw, but there are a couple banana peel games for sure.

In as much as anyone can beat anyone yes. The above won't be my tips though.
Dees have two strong outs to return and I would expect them to be building, like us.

The cards are lining up for a strong side (with players such as Dangerfield, Holmes, Rohan and Duncan a few games under their belt) available during the tough run home. Which is why I refused to write the Cats off as this seemed a not unlikely scenario.

Time for the boys to show the side isn't just strong on paper and get a run of wins going.

Feeling it's a turning point this game. Hope Cameron shapes up and a big game from the Red Rohan please.

Dees have two strong outs to return and I would expect them to be building, like us.
I hear what you're saying but it took St Kilda losing 3 players very early last week and kicking terribly to get the Demons the win. Teams like Freo and GWS have beaten them. Is Oliver back yet? Losing Fritsch long term is a massive blow.

They'll lose two of the Brisbane, Adelaide, Richmond and Carlton games I think.

We can afford to lose only one if we want top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feeling it's a turning point this game. Hope Cameron shapes up and a big game from the Red Rohan please.
Yep we need "first 9 rounds of the season" installment of Cameron plugged in.

A lot still depends on how much Duncan and Dangerfield can still give us but there's plenty of kids showing signs and mid rangers from our '22 flag side I have faith in.

Rohan looked a bit off last week but when he's at full flight we're a different team.

I hear what you're saying but it took St Kilda losing 3 players very early last week and kicking terribly to get the Demons the win. Teams like Freo and GWS have beaten them. Is Oliver back yet? Losing Fritsch long term is a massive blow.

They'll lose two of the Brisbane, Adelaide, Richmond and Carlton games I think.

We can afford to lose only one if we want top 4.

It's pretty shaky, my heads all over the shop with the logistics of everyone's draw.
I'm not a fan, they're inconsistent, but when comparing draws, Melbourne realistically seem the best off to retain fourth at the moment.
Tomorrow will tell, but it's about now we start ruing our earlier losses.
Oliver 2 weeks, Fritsch the scans route, but sounds ominous. Still have Petracca, Vinet et al, enough fire power.

Maybe Ratugolea does need a weeks rest, but having playing just over 1.5 matches since returning from injury, this looks like a more polite way of saying ”we’re rotating players through our 22 and this week it’s Player X’s turn to sit it out”

I agree 100%. That’s my point. I would argue rotating players through the 22 is a form of management and not the same as being dropped.

If esava plays the next 3 weeks in the VFL, then absolutely. But if he’s back in a week, it’s no different to Kolo having a rest last week, or potentially Henry the week after, in my eyes.

The MC perhaps concede that they can’t play 4 key defenders in the same side, but until it’s the same one missing week after week, I don’t think any of them are being ‘dropped’ per se.

I think Melbourne fwd line is very hit and miss. It'll cost them, Sydney at the SCG won't be easy either. In any case, for any of that to be meaningful we'd need to win all our remaining games. I want to believe but it would take a massive turnaround in form and consistency.

I think Melbourne fwd line is very hit and miss. It'll cost them, Sydney at the SCG won't be easy either. In any case, for any of that to be meaningful we'd need to win all our remaining games. I want to believe but it would take a massive turnaround in form and consistency.

Yeh it's ironic, we live in hope to get our mojo back and win everything after after being decimated by injury. I think some of those injuries take a while to recover (form) from ,more than we think, Duncan a good example. Dees and STK battling injury now (although not to our extent) after their earlier good wins. Luck's a fortune. I'm keeping the faith, only interested in Dees as they look to be our nemesis for the second chance.

Yeh it's ironic, we live in hope to get our mojo back and win everything after after being decimated by injury. I think some of those injuries take a while to recover (form) from ,more than we think, Duncan a good example. Dees and STK battling injury now (although not to our extent) after their earlier good wins. Luck's a fortune. I'm keeping the faith, only interested in Dees as they look to be our nemesis for the second chance.
Yeah, I was thinking Adelaide were a sneaky chance as well but then the Bombers touched them up. It's easy to forgot other symptoms caused by injury, such as the extra burden the remaining players must carry, that would take its toll the longer the team is injury struck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back