Preview Geelong v St Kilda Sat Aug 19 725pm @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its not going as well as had hoped but it appears we are still in the theoretical hunt- perhaps lol

The Port win and Pies loss sees us back in the mire of the 7-14 bracket still looking to settle - at least at the time im putting this together.

We might get Hawkins back - but who knows - and the Saints will be looking to affirm their spot in the 8 still.

I dont have all the permutations and combinations in fornt of me so ill keep this short - but it seems win both last 2 games and we could make it.

What damage we can do by making remains to be seen - and there's a full pendulum of voices from end to end saying good, indifference and bad.

Its the GFC way to have a crack and present....and the best we offer when fully fit can be good enough... but its unlikley we can do it for long enough to be very dangerous.

DOes we make changes or go for it as is???

GO Catters

Another week, more injuries and unknowns...

Hawkins will hopefully be available, and while many would have him as a straight swap for Neale, with injury clouds surrounding Rohan & Stanley, Neale may be in line for a 4th game and even the opportunity to lead our ruck division

Going to be a week of interest to see how things play out, and keep our finals hopes alive

I want to believe, I really do, but the continuing cycle of injuries, and the resultant interruption to cohesion, is making it harder.

My memory struggles to recall a season where we've been hit so badly and consistently by injury.......

But, no excuses. We're putting a team on the field, so it's up to us to be competitive no matter what. I'm sure we'll do that here, but bringing home the chocolates against the Saints could be a stretch too far.

My expectations for this game will either rise or fall on the availability of Stanley, Hawkins and Rohan.

For all the injuries and poor form we still find ways to be competitive if not dominant in most games this year. I think we can do that again this weekend.

I'm guessing with our ruck/midfield deficiencies Lyon will double down on making it a boring stoppage game, so we need to be ready for that.

Quite looking forward to an elimination final in August.

We simply have to roll the dice with Hawkins and Guthrie, Stanley too if he's 80% fit. If Stanley doesn't come up, I'd play Ratugolea as ruck. For all of Neale's potential, he is not ready to go head to head with Rowan Marshall. Marshall was fantastic v Nankervis yesterday and he could be the difference against us.

Bews in is also a must.

Something that's been overlooked is that since playing GWS in round 11, Geelong have only lost one game as favourites (the Freo disaster).

For some reason every game we lose by small margins as underdogs puts doubt into peoples minds about our chances in the highly winnable games.

The season felt like it would have been done with a loss heading into the Bulldogs, Melbourne and Port matches too. I'm expecting a similar response to that element of jeapordy this week.

We simply have to roll the dice with Hawkins and Guthrie
I disagree with this entirely.

An elimination final isn't a Grand Final, it's not the be all and end all, and that goes double for the game two games before an elimination final.

Playing Guthrie too early from a year-long injury is just asking for a catastrophic re-injury... not to mention that if he's not fit, he's not going to be ready to run out a full game.

Playing Hawkins too early on a soft tissue injury could, if he re-injures it, draw the curtain on one of the most storied careers in Geelong history in a truly ignominious way.

And for what? Beating StKilda in the hope of scrabbling eighth place. No thanks.

It's weird to have the fourth highest percentage, despite only playing WC once, and to still be fighting for a place in the 8.

Im not expecting anything further this year. Kinda glad it's almost over at this point, and I'm looking forward to next season. Given the injuries, I think we've performed around where you'd expect.

Still it'd be nice to take a few teams down with us. Would be great to make it hard for Ross Lyon!

Last edited:
I disagree with this entirely.

An elimination final isn't a Grand Final, it's not the be all and end all, and that goes double for the game two games before an elimination final.

Playing Guthrie too early from a year-long injury is just asking for a catastrophic re-injury... not to mention that if he's not fit, he's not going to be ready to run out a full game.

Playing Hawkins too early on a soft tissue injury could, if he re-injures it, draw the curtain on one of the most storied careers in Geelong history in a truly ignominious way.

And for what? Beating StKilda in the hope of scrabbling eighth place. No thanks.

We've been trying to make finals all season, prioritising the veterans over youth even at times where we maybe shouldn't have (ie dropping Knevitt after his career best game), and bringing in senior players from long injury layoffs without a run in the VFL.

Guthrie was always earmarked for a late season return. Scott flagged post-Collingwood that he would play at some level this weekend, and floated the idea of him being the sub. Hawkins was in training three days after his injury and was a chance to play last week, I fail to see why he wouldn't be ready eight days later.

Not sure about drawing the curtain on Hawkins' career - he has stated several times that he is close to signing a one year deal. It would take a big U turn for him to retire and re-aggravating a minor hamstring injury would not be the catalyst for that.

As for 'scrabbling eighth place' - finals experience for the likes of O Henry and Bruhn would be fantastic for their development, and who doesn't want to see J Cameron at the MCG in front of 85k?

FWIW, Fox Footy has us winning both games and finishing 6th, drawing Swans at MCG in an elim.

We've been trying to make finals all season, prioritising the veterans over youth even at times where we maybe shouldn't have (ie dropping Knevitt after his career best game), and bringing in senior players from long injury layoffs without a run in the VFL.

Guthrie was always earmarked for a late season return. Scott flagged post-Collingwood that he would play at some level this weekend, and floated the idea of him being the sub. Hawkins was in training three days after his injury and was a chance to play last week, I fail to see why he wouldn't be ready eight days later.
Sure, but either they are ready on a regular timetable, or they aren't. The circumstances aren't worth taking risks on their injuries - sure, finals are nice, but an elimination final against Carlton if we win both games on the way in and Essendon and GWS drop points, isn't going to be a life-changing experience for anyone.

The harder game of the two on the way in is probably the Bulldogs game, anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elimination final. Must win game.

Rohan is a big loss if he misses. Our forward line seems to function much better with him around. He provides so much defensively, and offensively.

I can't see us playing all of Stanley, Neale, Hawkins, and Sav. We will be too big and slow against St Kilda.

Saints have a small forward line, surely Bews comes back in but Sav.

- Hawkins in for Rohan.

- Bews for Sav or Neale

Not sure who plays the 2nd ruck role?

Huge challenge for SDK on Max King.

Sure, but either they are ready on a regular timetable, or they aren't. The circumstances aren't worth taking risks on their injuries - sure, finals are nice, but an elimination final against Carlton if we win both games on the way in and Essendon and GWS drop points, isn't going to be a life-changing experience for anyone.

It's funny, I see that as almost a complete certainty.

I don't rate the Dogs, their midfield can be good but their forward line remains atrocious. Don't see how they can possibly kick a winning score against us and they can't stop any team with good forwards.

I doubt there will be any risks taken. The whole season (and last) was about peaking for finals and having an available list. No point limping into the finals. We'll only see Hawk if he is fit, along with the others. Nobody will be perfect, but there will be no risks taken beyond what we take weekly.

It's another great test for us, I'd love to get finals into Bruhn, OHenry & Bowes, I'd love more so for our injuries to stop and we can make a genuine run at challenging this year- still hopeful :)

I doubt there will be any risks taken. The whole season (and last) was about peaking for finals and having an available list. No point limping into the finals. We'll only see Hawk if he is fit, along with the others. Nobody will be perfect, but there will be no risks taken beyond what we take weekly.

It's another great test for us, I'd love to get finals into Bruhn, OHenry & Bowes, I'd love more so for our injuries to stop and we can make a genuine run at challenging this year- still hopeful :)
There is every point

You want a culture that wins then step one of don't play to lose. You can choose when to start playing to lose but you can't choose when to stop

There is every point

You want a culture that wins then step one of don't play to lose. You can choose when to start playing to lose but you can't choose when to stop
Play to win wars, not to win battles.

There are a whole bunch of longer-term decisions made in the history of this football club which put immediate wins at risk, but set the club up for longer-term victory. Resting veterans through 2011 and then 2022. End of 1999, we delisted Johnny Barnes and traded out Micky Mansfield. I remember 2011 - our first ever sub player was Darren Milburn (against Collingwood!) while we trusted some skinny kid called Guthrie on debut. Even this year, we've put games into the likes of Knevitt and Bruhn in front of Menegola, who would obviously do slightly more in the short term but it's not worth the long term sacrifice.

We win the last 2 and basically we're in. For us to win both and miss finals would require all of the following to happen:

1) StKilda to beat Brisbane away.

2) The winner of Essendon vs GWS to win their last round game (GWS away to Carlton, Essendon against Collingwood).

3) Sydney to win both of their last 2 (Adelaide away and Melbourne at home)

4) Carlton to win at least one of their last 2.

Play to win wars, not to win battles.

There are a whole bunch of longer-term decisions made in the history of this football club which put immediate wins at risk, but set the club up for longer-term victory. Resting veterans through 2011 and then 2022. End of 1999, we delisted Johnny Barnes and traded out Micky Mansfield. I remember 2011 - our first ever sub player was Darren Milburn (against Collingwood!) while we trusted some skinny kid called Guthrie on debut. Even this year, we've put games into the likes of Knevitt and Bruhn in front of Menegola, who would obviously do slightly more in the short term but it's not worth the long term sacrifice.
For the exact same logic you put forward I would like to get a finals win into Tanner Bruhn (who has played 2 but not as a mid), Ollie Henry (who was dropped for finals at the Pies and hasn't played one), and a final into Bowes (who has never played one).

That doesn't happen if we don't play our best team.

For the exact same logic you put forward I would like to get a finals win into Tanner Bruhn (who has played 2 but not as a mid), Ollie Henry (who was dropped for finals at the Pies and hasn't played one), and a final into Bowes (who has never played one).

That doesn't happen if we don't play our best team.
I mean, I’d like to as well - plus you don’t really want to be the first premier in 15 years not to make finals - but it’s not worth accelerating the timeline on Hawkins and Guthrie.

And honestly, I do get the feeling that the big Hawk isn’t travelling that well in the back half of this year. 13 goals in two games against Essendon has kind of papered over some very anonymous games in the last few months. I would hate to see him get rushed back, re-do the hammie and that’s that.

I mean, I’d like to as well - plus you don’t really want to be the first premier in 15 years not to make finals - but it’s not worth accelerating the timeline on Hawkins and Guthrie.

And honestly, I do get the feeling that the big Hawk isn’t travelling that well in the back half of this year. 13 goals in two games against Essendon has kind of papered over some very anonymous games in the last few months. I would hate to see him get rushed back, re-do the hammie and that’s that.

7-years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back