Preview Geelong v St Kilda Sat Aug 19 725pm @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting Conway into this game ahead of Neale would be madness at best and malpractice at worst.
Toby would barely have 100 minutes of competitive football under his belt for the entire season. Even the football he played was at reserves level. And he hasn't been out there at all for a month.

So the very fact he's even on the emergencies list tells you that we have absolutely no credible cover for talls available to play. Even as a supporter who rates him highly, I would be absolutely shocked if putting him out there didn't end badly for either the team or his own body.

Or both.

I think for anyone who has watched a bit of VFL footy this year, there would be some strong debate on that point you've made.

Neale is not an AFL standard ruck, and whilst Conway has missed a big chunk of footy, it should also be remembered that they took a very conservative approach with his return. He came back and played two very solid games that got the coaches attention, and only missed last week due to a rolled ankle at training.

I watched both his games and he was a class above in terms of pure ruck craft, and his follow up efforts when the ball was on the ground. Very close resemblance to Tim English.
I think we all agree he is our next ruckman and Neale is not, but I am not trusting a guy who has played 2 games all year and is coming off yet another injury to play ruck at AFL level.

I think for anyone who has watched a bit of VFL footy this year, there would be some strong debate on that point you've made.

Neale is not an AFL standard ruck, and whilst Conway has missed a big chunk of footy, it should also be remembered that they took a very conservative approach with his return. He came back and played two very solid games that got the coaches attention, and only missed last week due to a rolled ankle at training.

I watched both his games and he was a class above in terms of pure ruck craft, and his follow up efforts when the ball was on the ground. Very close resemblance to Tim English.
Having watched said VFL games re Conway - pretty sure he was managed for 1/2 of the first one and only came on in the 2nd half.

Then played the second one but was again managed in the last 1/4.

The tank just aint there yet and that factor IMO gets exlempified in the AFL.

now - his ruck work, tap work and follow up when he was there was very good no doubt.

But he just cant do it for long enough yet and the VFL games you referred to showed that IMO.

GO Catters

Having watched said VFL games re Conway - pretty sure he was managed for 1/2 of the first one and only came on in the 2nd half.

Then played the second one but was again managed in the last 1/4.

The tank just aint there yet and that factor IMO gets exlempified in the AFL.

now - his ruck work, tap work and follow up when he was there was very good no doubt.

But he just cant do it for long enough yet and the VFL games you referred to showed that IMO.

GO Catters
But but but Daz he has been training really hard

But but but Daz he has been training really hard
not on rolled ankle he aint.

Look the kid can play and wil get better every game he gets....

But to do all that he needs match fitness and im sirry but IMO he jsut aint got it yet.

GO Catters

Neale's follow up the stoppages was really good for someone with as little exposure to the ruck role. If Conway can't get his body right then Neale has the attributes to develop into the next Stanley. Same size, same strong athletic profile.

Having watched Neale in the VFL and then last Friday night, he looked more comfortable in the ruck at senior level compared with what he's shown during his odd ruck stint in the VFL

Hopefully he takes some confidence from last week into tomorrow night

With all our unavailable, there is no side we could pick that would be any better-bottom line, agree with you.
I must have clicked reply to this without meaning to and I still don't know how to remedy such a mistake, so I will have to say something.

Tomorrow, on the area on the harbour in front of Marvel, where the Geelong ferry comes in, there is a Now or Never art festival. But don't let that put you off as there are food trucks and a Moon Dog brewery pop up bar, if you are looking for something to do before the game.

We can't say categorically that Neale won't make a ruckman - he's got years of development ahead of him. But he'll surely make a player.

Conway looks the goods but you couldn't possibly play him in a must-win AFL game; he'd be lucky to make it till half-time. What is more important than him playing tomorrow is that he actually has a career and isn't another Vardy.

Shannon Byrnes, Trent West and Mark Blake are also premiership players. Sometimes you’re good and lucky…
Blakey has always been one of my favourites.
They were all useful players, and timing is important.

I must have clicked reply to this without meaning to and I still don't know how to remedy such a mistake, so I will have to say something.

Tomorrow, on the area on the harbour in front of Marvel, where the Geelong ferry comes in, there is a Now or Never art festival. But don't let that put you off as there are food trucks and a Moon Dog brewery pop up bar, if you are looking for something to do before the game.
Thank you. It started yesterday.
Would be a great pregame activity.
But we won't escape the fact we are

Neale's follow up the stoppages was really good for someone with as little exposure to the ruck role. If Conway can't get his body right then Neale has the attributes to develop into the next Stanley. Same size, same strong athletic profile.

Particularly in the short to medium term.

With Hawkins looking like he’ll play on next year, getting some minutes in the ruck is likely Neale’s only avenue to the AFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched Neale in the VFL and then last Friday night, he looked more comfortable in the ruck at senior level compared with what he's shown during his odd ruck stint in the VFL

Hopefully he takes some confidence from last week into tomorrow night
His ruck work early was not very good but he came home with a wet sail. This week is a very different assignment

If If was going to play Conway, Id play Neale as well ..as i have no idea if Conway could last ..or how long he could last.

Is Neale an AFL ruck? Considering we have played Jack Henry and Rohan in the ruck at times this year...maybe the ability to get around and link up is just as important in an afl game ..as the tap work.

One advantage of having Conway in woudl be that we do not throw Sam Dek to the wolves again. He has been diminished this year..is thru being crunched so much at years start or from being thrown around.

To me look at what kids can do in these two games is just as important as the results ...so just having a look at what Neale can do will be insightful. Normally he would not get this chance.

2023 Cats play best when in fast attack mode.
Cats only attack for a Q then revert to go-slow
Mostly when behind, desperately chasing in Q4
Attack mode works when everyone plays fast.
Problem is: Half play fast, other half play slow.
Looking for the best option, instead of 1st option
This turns momentum over to the opposition.

Going slow against other fast attacking teams
Allows time to set up their defense, crowd F50
Allows teams to rest and recover between bursts

Other teams game plans are clear and cohesive
Pies fast play: due decisions prior to possession.
Theoretically clear plans are easiest to counter
Cats are less predictable, harder to counter
This best option plan requires skill and smarts.
Relying on footy instincts, it cannot be taught.
Players must evaluate and change on the fly.
Not all players have this capacity naturally.
Cats Bi-polar game plan is the bane of 2023
Cats suffered from lack of cohesion all year
Retirement and new faces will prolong woes.

It is a much stronger side than we had on field for 90% of game time last week.

An effort similar to last week would comfortably win.

Dangerfield and Cameron will have to lead from front again.

Ruck is a problem but saints have no good matchup for cameron and hawkins will destroy cordy if the delivery is right. Our midfield greatly worries me but if we get that right we win.

Particularly in the short to medium term.

With Hawkins looking like he’ll play on next year, getting some minutes in the ruck is likely Neale’s only avenue to the AFL side.

We know Neale is going to bust a gut....imagine being him, gagging to get a game, done all the right things, nursed injury, waited for opportunity, displayed a bit through an opportune selection.
Take those Sainter pretenders and your chance with two ginormous hands son, and shake hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back