Preview Geelong v St Kilda Sat Aug 19 725pm @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really dont understand how we are favourite, their forward line can expose us with how poor we are defending and they have the far better Ruck and midfield.
People said the same before the Melbourne and Port games, and thought Bulldogs should've been overwhelming favourites when they played us. All three are more talented sides than St Kilda.

People said the same before the Melbourne and Port games, and thought Bulldogs should've been overwhelming favourites when they played us. All three are more talented sides than St Kilda.
Big difference between playing two sides undermanned due to significant injuries on our home ground and playing a virtually full strength Saints at Marvel with half our best side out.

The dogs game I personally expected us to win, they are our bunnies and absolute pretenders coached horrendously.

Last edited:
Big difference between playing two sides undermanned due to significant injuries on our home ground and playing a virtually full strength Saints at Marvel with half our best side out.

The dogs game I personally expecyed us to win, they are our bunnies and absolute pretenders coached horrendously.
We had significant injuries too. Port or Melbourne with a few outs is still as strong as St Kilda full strength, at least.

Melbourne were missing Oliver - who else?

Our track record at Marvel over the years is pretty good.

Round 15 vs Melbourne - no C. Guthrie, Dangerfield and J.Cameron (in-game)
Round 21 vs Port Adelaide - no C. Guthrie, Bews, Hawkins, Blicavs and J.Henry (in-game)
Round 23 vs St Kilda: no C.Guthrie, Stanley, Blicavs, Rohan and J.Henry

There's not a lot in it. Dangerfield and J.Cameron are so important that the Melbourne game was a significant challenge.

Last edited:
Dogs are also just crap, Saints smashed them there earlier in the year.

More than capable of doing the exact same to us if we don't turn up.
Saints were a different side early in the year to now.

Of their last 15 games they've won 3 against teams not called NM, WCE or Hawthorn. 3 wins, 7 losses against those non cellar dwellar sides in that time frame.

We are more than capable of joining those 7 sides.

Who is St Kilda's 3rd and 4th inside mid
Seb Ross is the number 3 after Steele and Crouch. He's no star but solid enough. They played Philippou in there a lot last week. Also Hunter Clark has gone through the midfield when he has played.

They're not deep there. But they do have the option to switch Sinclair into the middle and they've got 2 good players at their peak as numbers 1 and 2. For a team trying to play a lot of outside runners they've got a good (but shallow) midfield.

Seb Ross is the number 3 after Steele and Crouch. He's no star but solid enough. They played Philippou in there a lot last week. Also Hunter Clark has gone through the midfield when he has played.

They're not deep there. But they do have the option to switch Sinclair into the middle and they've got 2 good players at their peak as numbers 1 and 2. For a team trying to play a lot of outside runners they've got a good (but shallow) midfield.
Mitch Owens is one who is finally getting more mid time and doing very well when he gets a chance. Already our best contested player. Steele has been a shell of himself this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really dont understand how we are favourite, their forward line can expose us with how poor we are defending and they have the far better Ruck and midfield.
Saints can defend well but the speed with which they attack we won't have to work hard defensively to just rebound back.

If the saints are to win we have to see something new in attack from them because their current ball movement won't get them over the line.

Who is St Kilda's 3rd and 4th inside mid
Don't know and probably neither do they

I think it's a simple as putting a defensive forward on Jack Sinclair and watch their attack from the back half completely vanish. Brad Close maybe? I'd have liked Jack Henry for this. The other key match up I think we need to contain is Dan Butler by Jed Bews.

You take their half back run and their half forward receive out the equation I think they're stuck and we can turn over and rebound

Don't know and probably neither do they

I think it's a simple as putting a defensive forward on Jack Sinclair and watch their attack from the back half completely vanish. Brad Close maybe? I'd have liked Jack Henry for this. The other key match up I think we need to contain is Dan Butler by Jed Bews.

You take their half back run and their half forward receive out the equation I think they're stuck and we can turn over and rebound
One of the most disappointing elements this year is how we have let opposition half backs dominate the game. Our small forwards are still providing scoreboard impact but the defensive side of their game has been quite poor. It's something we really need to sort out ASAP.

Neale's follow up the stoppages was really good for someone with as little exposure to the ruck role. If Conway can't get his body right then Neale has the attributes to develop into the next Stanley. Same size, same strong athletic profile.
I for one am enjoying this uptick in Nealementum this week.

#toottoot dazbroncos

Not to get off track, but if we'd played ever week since that Bulldogs game in similar form as that night, we'd be Top 4 right now.

Since then further cruelled by rolling injury though. To give Scott credit he hasnt been highlighting that factor as an excuse. Although I notice yesterdays presser has none of the bravado we're used too. Finally admits the obvious, we're farked if we lose.

Probably because st kildas record against other top 8 teams is very poor and their ladder spot is inflated by playing poor teams twice (who they barely got over). So at our best we should beat them but stanley and blicavs are huge outs against marshall. Their defence is very average and their midfield bar steele isnt a lot to write home about so if our midfield can somehow break even our forwards should win it. 8th spot is on the line we have everything to play for.

Phililipou is a super young player but is tiring. Clark was sub last week and is now on the fringe.
Ross is ok but wont gamebreak anyone.
Owens and windhager are decent but developing.
Outside of marshall and steele they dont have a lot of quality there

Saints were a different side early in the year to now.

Of their last 15 games they've won 3 against teams not called NM, WCE or Hawthorn. 3 wins, 7 losses against those non cellar dwellar sides in that time frame.

We are more than capable of joining those 7 sides.

Even then WC ran them to eight points. STK had a soft draw for the first half, keeping them up. TBH was happy to see their supporters (more so than Carlton) get some joy, but not tonight baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back