Preview Cats V North Sun April 14 1pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly they are a private company, so, y'know, unless they protect their IP...

They are 51% owned by the AFL. The main sports in the USA are much better as providing the public with the advanced stats
I would be interested in looking at the clearance count by quarter - I actually got the feeling that we had the edge, if anything, up until obviously five minutes before three quarter time. Whole-of-game statistics don't tell the ebb and flow of the game; I felt that the last 35 minutes of the game were very, very, very different to the rest of it.

It felt like they had more first use in quantity but when we did get hands on the ball our quality was pretty good. But late they had both the quantity and the quality but only CD would know the full story

Oh no! It's the chicken and egg dilemma!
Not chicken and egg dilemma iameviljez, it's just that some folk can come across as a smart arse whether it is intentional or not, so with you with me, the jury is still out until you prove otherwise. (full stop just for you iameviljez, now who's being the smart arse, surely not I. (with another full stop.) By the way my name is Richard and GO CATS !!!

Thanks for info Lana: did the Dogs have an extra at stoppage around ground with Cats extra/spare in defence, if so these types of tactics plus various other tactics go on all the time in AFL virtually by the quarter or even less in many circumstances which can and will give a distorted view when it comes to stat sheets. Then we also have centre bounce clearances where all is square but the difference between the quality of clearance can be poles apart which was very much the case on occasions on Saturday night between Dogs and Cats.
I didn’t really notice a plus 1 throughout the night. The Bulldog were just getting first touch.

It isn’t really a distortion the stats would reflect the style. Kick to handball ratio, Intercept marks etc

Hmm the fact that the cats site has Stanley front ad centre this week like they had Blics last week and Hawkins the week before tells me they are planning to play Stanley

View attachment 1954938

Still no interview, article or press conference about Stanley's 200th. Seems weird if he were playing this weekend no? There's been an article on Mitch Duncan becoming an AFL life member which seems pretty minor in comparison.

Maybe they just put the banner up ready for next week?

They are 51% owned by the AFL. The main sports in the USA are much better as providing the public with the advanced stats

It felt like they had more first use in quantity but when we did get hands on the ball our quality was pretty good. But late they had both the quantity and the quality but only CD would know the full story
You can see quarter-by-quarter clearances in player stats in the app (not team stats ridiculously, so need to manually add them up).

We lost Q1 13-11, won Q2 12-15, broke even Q3 11-11, and lost Q4 17-7. So we won a reasonably close count for total clearances until the last quarter. Centre clearances even 12-12 at 3/4 time till they won 3-0 in Q4.

You can see quarter-by-quarter clearances in player stats in the app (not team stats ridiculously, so need to manually add them up).

We lost Q1 13-11, won Q2 12-15, broke even Q3 11-11, and lost Q4 17-7. So we won a reasonably close count for total clearances until the last quarter. Centre clearances even 12-12 at 3/4 time till they won 3-0 in Q4.

That is really insightful.
A good demonstration of the failings of memory

Makes me feel better to know that our midfield by committee went head to head with a more celebrated group until we ran out of legs.

I wonder if there is a way to bulk export all of data from the app.

Goes with how the game looked to me

1st quarter was fairly even i had them slightly on top.
2nd and 3rd it felt like we were in control but couldn't break them.
4th we obviously ran out of legs and they dominated it.

The fact we are the number 1 for scores from CBA this year(according to the couch) tells me we aren't getting as many centre clearances but the ones we do get are a higher quality leading to better looks hence more scores.

I didn’t really notice a plus 1 throughout the night. The Bulldog were just getting first touch.

It isn’t really a distortion the stats would reflect the style. Kick to handball ratio, Intercept marks etc
Lana: I do agree to disagree on this one as the Bulldogs did quite often have an extra at stoppage, hence why they struggled when going forward but the positioning of players around the ground and how they set up and structure and how they go about it can distort stats enormously and this can happen quite regularly throughout games. Once again stats are there as a guide, it's match-day and player awareness of what's happening in front of you that is by far the most important element, being ahead of the curve, it what separates the very good from the good. Quality beats quantity in most areas and cases and is the key, coupled with 'pressure' with quality forward 50 entries just another example but how quality is obtained and implemented is another entirely different matter pending your playing squad strengths, weaknesses and limitations, cheers Richard and GO CATS and once again Lana: thanks for providing info as it was still valuable intel.

PS - If coaching group is relying on stats alone to make decisions then they shouldn't be coaching, it's only there as a guide and assistance but that is all.

Last edited:
The fact we are the number 1 for scores from CBA this year(according to the couch) tells me we aren't getting as many centre clearances but the ones we do get are a higher quality leading to better looks hence more scores.
Agree, although this is likely to regress over time. We definitely need to increase our overall numbers as the season progresses. Getting back our two best mids should go a long way towards fixing it.

Still no interview, article or press conference about Stanley's 200th. Seems weird if he were playing this weekend no? There's been an article on Mitch Duncan becoming an AFL life member which seems pretty minor in comparison.

Maybe they just put the banner up ready for next week?
Chris Scott to Stanley after seeing Conway playing well.

1712748110555.png

Not chicken and egg dilemma iameviljez, it's just that some folk can come across as a smart arse whether it is intentional or not, so with you with me, the jury is still out until you prove otherwise
Oh, I am absolutely a smartarse. Might as well own it :)

And in all seriousness, your point was actually pretty reasonable, but it was quite difficult to read without the breaks.

That is really insightful.
A good demonstration of the failings of memory

Makes me feel better to know that our midfield by committee went head to head with a more celebrated group until we ran out of legs.

I wonder if there is a way to bulk export all of data from the app.

Not easily, though the data might be able to be scraped with a Python script.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins won’t be rested, can’t remember the last time we rested him.
He is better off not having the break, getting a few easy goals this weekend.
Percentage is strong but if we can have a big win that will be extremely important come the end of the season.
You won’t get north at a better time, backline is absolutely depleted
I agree. Hawkins prefers to keep training + playing. His 350th against Hawks was a huge game, with only a five day break. Although, he had a rare, poor game, he contributes guidance to our Forward line. After an eight day break, soreness should be gone. If North are as poor as most think, while he'll be busy kicking goals, but perhaps an easier game ??? 😜

Regarding North's poor form, Clarkson will motivate his team to punish his nemesis! My concern is my old chestnut: we have a history of losing to poor teams due to complacency + arrogance.

With many thinking Geelong's cliff had come + we were going to have to rebuild, this season sees a resurgence in team cohesion, determination, structure + fitness. Without Dangerfield for two games + Cuthrie for a while, our MF of youngens is accepting the challenge + responsibility. This is game may be an opportunity for our Kittens to hone their skills + dare I say, try new endeavours. Another impressive part of our team is, players have stopped relying upon star guns to perform.

I think Dangerfield should play if fit, to blow away the cobwebs. He is listed as 'Test' on AFL website, as are Kolo + Tuohy, with Cuthrie at 2-4 weeks 🤞🤞🤞

Conway should play. It's at home, so familiar + needs games if he is to rotate with Stanley. I thought he played well against Hawks' dominant Meek. Even David King + Jason Dunstall :screamcat: :screamcat: along with Leigh Montagna said Cats should consider playing Conway. Dunstall said: "He looks good, doesn’t he? He took a big grab. Kicked a goal. He is doing all sorts of things."

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 08.37.04.png

Chris Scott to Stanley after seeing Conway playing well.
To be fair, the Scotty/Stanley relationship is the couple that isn't great for each other, but keep coming back after trying various periods of singledom :p

"Remember how you dumped me right before the 2019 Qualifying Final against Collingwood? HOW DID SINGLEDOM WORK OUT FOR YOU THEN, CHRIS?"
"You were such a bad ruckman then, you didn't deserve a coach like me!"

I agree. Hawkins prefers to keep training + playing. His 350th against Hawks was a huge game, with only a five day break. Although, he had a rare, poor game, he contributes guidance to our Forward line.
No footballer ever actually likes taking a break, and to be honest, I think most of them don't actually ever believe they need one.

I'd rather give him the rest and get him ripe for a really tough spell of games coming up. It has actually been quite a long while since Hawk has had a good game against a good side.

Eh, they still have to cover the cost of providing the stats, and frankly, when it comes to the "nice to have stuff", profit isn't a dirty word (and I say that as a bleeding heart pinko). I'd rather the AFL make money off Champion Data, than by hiking up ticket prices and the like. (Not that it's always a one or the other proposition).

No footballer ever actually likes taking a break, and to be honest, I think most of them don't actually ever believe they need one.

I'd rather give him the rest and get him ripe for a really tough spell of games coming up. It has actually been quite a long while since Hawk has had a good game against a good side.
I see your point, still, Hawkins just doesn't get rested. Despite that reason, I think you could be right.
😉
507ACB0B-F4D9-45D3-AF48-0532E33F640F.gif

You know who I miss?

That North guy who baked snakes. I remember how adamant he was that we were finished in like 2019 and that North was the future.

Fun times

🤣 🤣 🤣
North's premiership hero, Phil "Snake" Baker, one of the most spectacular high marks

1712794791842.png

Edit: Had no idea you were referring to a BF poster

Last edited:
Jeez you would be bummed kicking 6 in a GF loss
GAS kicked nine goals + won the Norm Smith Medal in 1989 GF + lost to Hawthorn. Many of us STILL haven't recovered + it's one reason why I despise Poos+Wees :cryingcat:

Sometimes I actually resent the space-time continuum for making that a possible reality. That game is one of the reasons I'm an atheist.
How can you be an atheist when God, Little Baby Jesus + the Messiah (still) played for Geelong? 😜

Oh, I am absolutely a smartarse. Might as well own it :)

And in all seriousness, your point was actually pretty reasonable, but it was quite difficult to read without the breaks.
iameviljez: I've had a bad habit since I can remember with being lazy with full stops, it's only when I'm writing to someone which requires some form of accuracy that I make a proper attempt of correcting my laziness. So in that regard, I actually thank you and will endeavour in future here on Geelong Big Footy to be more aware of that indiscretion.

It also should be noted and important to point-out iameviljez: that here on the Geelong Big Footy forum, we all have a responsibility as Geelong Footy Club members and 'lovers' to all get along and treat others as we would treat ourselves, ME INCLUDED. After all we're all barracking and fighting for the same cause............ GO CATS !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back