Autopsy The Kumbaya everything is wonderful again Dogs 124. Saints 10 goals less thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Something Bevo said in the presser along the lines of 'we might have found the role for Jack Macrae'. It seemed at face value that his role was primarily an inside one. No wing, half forward this or that. I suggested last season that he should be the guy we consider to take Libba's role when he retires and it kinda looks like that's what he did tonight.

It's fascinating to think what happens when Libba comes back. He's carried the load for years.

And what happens at CBs. Bont, Treloar and Richards is the quickest trio we've ever had there. Defensively it looked solid. Can't recall the Saints blasting out of there with any regularity. Harder opponents to come but ... green shoots.

Tips hat to the couple of posters who've put the case for Richards play in the middle.

Something Bevo said in the presser along the lines of 'we might have found the role for Jack Macrae'. It seemed at face value that his role was primarily an inside one. No wing, half forward this or that. I suggested last season that he should be the guy we consider to take Libba's role when he retires and it kinda looks like that's what he did tonight.

It's fascinating to think what happens when Libba comes back. He's carried the load for years.

And what happens at CBs. Bont, Treloar and Richards is the quickest trio we've ever had there. Defensively it looked solid. Can't recall the Saints blasting out of there with any regularity. Harder opponents to come but ... green shoots.

Tips hat to the couple of posters who've put the case for Richards play in the middle.

Does this ultimately imply Libba's pace (lack of) is a major issue?

I'm all for change but just can't see the coaches not dropping him right back into his old role.

Was at the game. We are all critical in defeats, myself included, but time to pat the whole club on the back tonight, that was a bloody great win with a fantastic team effort across the board from thr opening bounce. Well done doggies

Does this ultimately imply Libba's pace (lack of) is a major issue?

I'm all for change but just can't see the coaches not dropping him right back into his old role.
I think Libba's pace at CBs could be an issue, as it is for Macrae. I think you have to separate the 2. There's CBs and there's stoppages. We've been leaking like a sieve at CBs for years. I liked the look of what I saw from the Bont, Treloar and Richards trio at that starting point (CBs) and Macrae at stoppages.

The opportunity might exist to halve Libba's workload and give him more time on the outside to utilise his attacking skills He'll have a yard more time and space and we may not lose anything in the guts.

I think Bevo's characterisation of the season thus far as an evolution is correct. I'm not sure what it evolves to and who evolves into what but I'm looking forward to finding out.

This place is boring after a win
Fun Fact

After our 29 point loss to the Bombers last week, there were 190 posts in the autopsy thread to midnight of game day.

After our 60 point (10 goal) belting of the Saints, 95 posts in the autopsy thread to midnight gameday.

Good news .. meh... who needs it or wants to read it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun Fact

After our 29 point loss to the Bombers last week, there were 190 posts in the autopsy thread to midnight of game day.

After our 60 point (10 goal) belting of the Saints, 95 posts in the autopsy thread to midnight gameday.

Good news .. meh... who needs it or wants to read it.
Congratulations NW. Your first baby steps to becoming a media mogul.

(Chicken Little was a genius before his time.)

I think the critisism of Lobb has been really over the top.
Maybe it's because he looks like a tall light globe running around with that blonde hair but I think he's been a reasonably solid recruit.
In the Melbourne game he flew back into a pack and took a courageous mark and then converted the goal from 40 out on an angle. One of our few highlights from that game. He was s**t after that but so were all his teammates - he copped it though and was dropped. Earns his spot back in the team and was fantastic tonight. Some players are lightening rods for angry fans but I don't see it with him, I think he's OK and I've thought that since we got him.
Lobb does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed. Dummy leads, blocks, bringing the ball to the front of a contest (yes that’s a skill, a lot of our other talls don’t do it). Naughton & Weightman look better when he’s in the side.

He’s been in systems with Jeremy Cameron, Patton, Green etc and Freo are very system based with those little things for their big guys. He’d have good intel.

He’s no fool as a footballer and is a handy experienced guy for Naughton, JUH and Darcy to learn off.

Lobb is what he is. A serviceable ruck/2nd key fwd who will do those little things week-to-week and bob up with a bag a few times a year.

A lot of fans expect too much from him.

Last edited:
Lobb does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed. Dummy leads, blocks, bringing the ball to front of a contest (yes that’s a skill, a lot of our other talls don’t do it). Naughton & Weightman look better when he’s in the side.

He’s been in systems with Jeremy Cameron, Patton, Green etc and Freo are very system based with those little things for their big guys. He’d have good intel.

He’s no fool as a footballer and is a handy experienced guy for Naughton, JUH and Darcy to learn off.

Lobb is what he is. A serviceable ruck/2nd key fwd who will do those little things week-to-week and bob up with a bag a few times a year.

A lot of fans expect too much from him.
I’m not sure how you drop Lobb after last night. He was excellent.

Bevvo safe again for another week ( Bandaid Solution)

What was a stand out is Bevvos tactical blunder playing Dale off the bench as the Sub against Essendon..

Dale Clearly B.O.G tonight with 39 disposals and he set the tone from the first minute of the game....

Bevvos tactical blunder probably cost us the game last week..

On a positive note, great kicking for goal and Jones and Co great defending
Can’t agree with you on this one mate. Dale and Daniel stunk it up and deserved the kick up the arse they got and in Daniel’s case still getting. Kudos to Bevo for making them accountable finally when the the easy option is to keep playing them and hoping they will come good just because

Dale was super impressive in person, but even better after seeing the numbers he put up. He clearly had Saints putting 0% of attention into him, but he showed his class at every opportunity.

39 disposals at 92% efficiency with 867 metres gained is nothing short of insane.

Then you can add 15 marks, 13 intercepts - game high in all of those except efficiency, can’t really call Butler 3 @ 100% as the sub, so only behind Weightman who was 100% from 9. Plus he had 9 score involvements, only behind Macrae (who I thought was great too).

If that’s not 10 coaches votes this week & then 3 on Brownlow night, I will spew.
Maybe Bevo saying he picked the team to play Essendon for the following week had some merit. Saint put no time into Dale and he got his mojo back 🤷‍♂️

Bulldogs social media been going hard on this tonight.

A little weird!

They better hope he doesn't go 0.1 and 4 touches at FF next week.
It’s clear to me that the bashing the club has copped through the season and particularly this week that they are in fact working together, there is no disharmony and the barbs and comments affect everyone in the club including the Social Media team. Like Bevo, they can’t kick the ball for the players but they have passion just like the rest of us.

I can just imagine whoever does the twitter sitting there last night getting all their frustration of the week out.

I love it

Hopefully he has because he's too good to sit it out.

Macrae still didn't attend many CBA's so maybe we can still fit Libba in.

I suspect there will be a lot written this week about how our performance against the Saints was a response to criticism of the club levelled by some in the media during the week.

I remember reading an anecdote in Daniel Kahneman's book Thinking, Fast and Slow about a conversation with someone in the military, about how, during training, pilots seemed to respond best to harsh criticism. What the bloke in the military didn't consider was that harsh criticism was typically dealt out after a particularly bad performance, which represented a negative deviation from a pilot's "normal" standard. Because deviations in performance tend to be random, the next time they did whatever it was they were substantially better at it, and this positive change was falsely attributed to the criticism. (I may be off on some of the details here, as it's over a decade since I read the book. But I think the gist is right.)

In many ways I thought this week's game was a mirror image of last week's: One team was on, and the other wasn't. I feel like, so far this season, we've had a couple of games where we've been on (GC, Saints), a couple of games where we've been off (Melbourne, Essendon), and a couple of games where we've been in-between (WC, Geelong). Hopefully as the season progresses we will see a more consistently high level of performance…

I suspect there will be a lot written this week about how our performance against the Saints was a response to criticism of the club levelled by some in the media during the week.

I remember reading an anecdote in Daniel Kahneman's book Thinking, Fast and Slow about a conversation with someone in the military, about how, during training, pilots seemed to respond best to harsh criticism. What the bloke in the military didn't consider was that harsh criticism was typically dealt out after a particularly bad performance, which represented a negative deviation from a pilot's "normal" standard. Because deviations in performance tend to be random, the next time they did whatever it was they were substantially better at it, and this positive change was falsely attributed to the criticism. (I may be off on some of the details here, as it's over a decade since I read the book. But I think the gist is right.)

In many ways I thought this week's game was a mirror image of last week's: One team was on, and the other wasn't. I feel like, so far this season, we've had a couple of games where we've been on (GC, Saints), a couple of games where we've been off (Melbourne, Essendon), and a couple of games where we've been in-between (WC, Geelong). Hopefully as the season progresses we will see a more consistently high level of performance…
It’s a very even season across the board. Bar one or two teams, anyone could beat or get beaten by anyone on any day

I’m not sure how you drop Lobb after last night. He was excellent.
Agree, it was the first time this season the forwards have gelled and not got in each others way, UH can go to the reserves and learn how to defend as a forward when the opposition has the ball, something he currently doesn't do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back