Autopsy Dogs fail to perform against saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be nice when this s**t no longer happens. Any wonder so many indigenous footballers retire early….this is appalling behaviour. Not calling out any supporters in particular…every club would have a few racists in their midst.
Saints are investigating it

We had a good strength and conditioning team. Players were developing well, injuries were standard compared to the league, we were solid in the contest. We were also one of the fittest teams running both ways. I personally knew one of the staff as well. Then they sacked them all around Covid to cut costs, and have not really replaced many since. Some quality people were lost. These days I don't even know who is who in the fitness department.

No surprise our work rate started to drop off in the second half of 2021, even though we blitzed into the Grand Final. Players were still well conditioned from the previous team. But the gradual drop continued into a significant one into 2022, and it sadly appears to be worse in 2023. Mind you we are only two games in. But can only go by what we have seen so far. Feel the cuts to the soft cap hurt us more than expected. Whether we refilled all those cut positions since, or replaced them. Feels like the quality is not the same as what we lost at least.

Well, that's really poor.

I reckon some reallocating of money needs to happen at the club then and fast.

We’re all pointing the finger at our woke Disney princess President but what about Bains? The CEO is responsible for the operational performance of the organisation. He’s been a dud since the beginning, a St Kilda reject who has let standards slip throughout the club. His main KPIs are the P&L and the Balance Sheet which I get bit it won’t be long that the P&L starts to suffer if members stop signing up and fans stop attending the games because the players have given up.

We’re all pointing the finger at our woke Disney princess President but what about Bains? The CEO is responsible for the operational performance of the organisation. He’s been a dud since the beginning, a St Kilda reject who has let standards slip throughout the club. His main KPIs are the P&L and the Balance Sheet which I get bit it won’t be long that the P&L starts to suffer if members stop signing up and fans stop attending the games because the players have given up.
What does “woke” mean?

As an aside, while I have been banging on about our ageing and slowing midfield for a while, I'm starting to think that the small forwards issue may have been a sleeper issue that was even worse.

I always thought that we needed small forwards to crumb, and kick opportunist goals and apply forward defensive pressure. And we obviously did need that. So when we drafted Cody Weightman I thought "this should take care of that" cause he can do all those three things (he's not the world's best crumber, but he is capable). But I'm starting to think that a critical job of a top quality small forward is the ability to help out the midfield and defence as well. Richmond built a champion team around an army of fleet-footed small forwards who pushed back to help out their mids and HBs. Melbourne have a few, Brisbane have a heap, Collingwood have a bunch. Geelong became instantly better when Tyson Stengle came good.

But at the Dogs we work the OPPOSITE way - our small forwards don't push back to help the midfield and HBs - our midfielders and HBs push forward to help our forwards. No wonder our midfielders are starting to be ground into the dust. The load they carry is more than any other team's midfield load, and it has been that way for 6-7 years. Also a midfielder isn't necessarily supposed to be zippy like small forwards are meant to be - so of course we feel slower.

Anyway, it occurs to me that Weightman at his best is NOT one of those small forwards He stays pretty close to the F50 at all times. This is not me trashing Cody. He could potentially be a 50 goal small forward. It's just saying that he is not filling that gap at all. It still exists, and it be becoming more crippling every year.

This is why I'm watching Arthur Jones so closely this year. He COULD potentially be one of those ground-covering small forwards. We will need more than just him, either way. But it will be a (minor) relief if we only need to draft 1 or 2 of them, instead of 2 or 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside, while I have been banging on about our ageing and slowing midfield for a while, I'm starting to think that the small forwards issue may have been a sleeper issue that was even worse.

I always thought that we needed small forwards to crumb, and kick opportunist goals and apply forward defensive pressure. And we obviously did need that. So when we drafted Cody Weightman I thought "this should take care of that" cause he can do all those three things (he's not the world's best crumber, but he is capable). But I'm starting to think that a critical job of a top quality small forward is the ability to help out the midfield and defence as well. Richmond built a champion team around an army of fleet-footed small forwards who pushed back to help out their mids and HBs. Melbourne have a few, Brisbane have a heap, Collingwood have a bunch. Geelong became instantly better when Tyson Stengle came good.

But at the Dogs we work the OPPOSITE way - our small forwards don't push back to help the midfield and HBs - our midfielders and HBs push forward to help our forwards. No wonder our midfielders are starting to be ground into the dust. The load they carry is more than any other team's midfield load, and it has been that way for 6-7 years. Also a midfielder isn't necessarily supposed to be zippy like small forwards are meant to be - so of course we feel slower.

Anyway, it occurs to me that Weightman at his best is NOT one of those small forwards He stays pretty close to the F50 at all times. This is not me trashing Cody. He could potentially be a 50 goal small forward. It's just saying that he is not filling that gap at all. It still exists, and it be becoming more crippling every year.

This is why I'm watching Arthur Jones so closely this year. He COULD potentially be one of those ground-covering small forwards. We will need more than just him, either way. But it will be a (minor) relief if we only need to draft 1 or 2 of them, instead of 2 or 3.
Charlie Clarke

Which supporters did it come from, or both?
Said this at the end of the statement nothing about our fans

The Club has contacted the AFL Integrity Department, and thanks the St Kilda Football Club for investigating the matter and working to identify the individuals concerned.

Bevo spoke highly of their efforts stemming the flow. Bruce, Jones and Crozier did well with the intercept work at times and battled hard.

They can battle as hard as they want, but until their disposal gets anywhere near AFL standard it won't matter.
It's one of the (admittedly many) reasons they are seeing so much ball in the first place.

I always thought that the game was over when the umpire blew the whistle and raised both arms, I think Freemantle may have been robbed
The umpire has to react to the siren then call the game over

Can anyone remember that night GF with the goal after the siren?

Last edited:
Venting your spleen and blaming the coach might make you feel better but it doesn't do anything to fix our on field problems.

Glass houses& short memories, you did the same thing blaming McCartney in 2014. Look where the change took the team.. To a flag in 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back