Autopsy Dogs fail to perform against saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Denial , anger, bargaining , depression, acceptance.

We’ve a fair way to go yet .
I’m at bargaining tbh, denial was end of ‘21, anger was most of ‘22. I suspect I’ll be at depression by mid year, acceptance when we go into preseason with the same coaches as we did this year

Can someone ******* explain to me why Macrae started the third quarter at full forward and why he had fewer CBAs than Daniel??
As I mentioned last week Macrae is a major liability in the midfield at the moment with his lack of physicality and insipid defensive efforts. I think the coaches box could see this Sat night and thats why they chucked him forward.

We’ve accumulated a concerning number of list cloggers.

Any of Crozier, O’Brien, Bruce, Mccomb, Keath, Duryea, McLean, Scott etc that are not clear best 22 at the end of the year should go. That’s not to sledge any one of them - most have been good for us. We have an ageing list and we need to turn it over.
Thats what happens when you pay overs for blokes, the money has to come from somewhere, hence we have guys like Scott and Mcomb on the list to save money

Last edited:
As I mentioned last week Macrae is a major liability in the midfield at the moment with his lack of physicality and insipid defensive efforts.

That could be said for all 5 of our inside mids, it was clear from the second or third CBA that Daniel does not belong in the centre. The fact that we persisted with this for the entire match was frankly embarrassing.

Glass houses& short memories, you did the same thing blaming McCartney in 2014. Look where the change took the team.. To a flag in 2 years

There are huge differences between the situations.

McCartney had not only made a whole raft of terrible coaching decisions, he had reached a point from which it was clearly impossible for him to recover any credibility with the playing group and supporter base. Whether he realised it or not, as a rookie senior coach without any AFL\VFL playing experience McCartney desperately needed to make some early positive impacts to establish his personal credibility with the players\supporters. Unfortunately, he made a bunch of early mistakes, then pulled the rebuild ripcord from which point he could never recover.

As a premiership coach with AFL playing experience, Bev doesn't have such credibility issues, and his position is definitely still recoverable if he makes some good decisions from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes our game plan is deplorable, skills are horrible but the thing that completely stood out to me and everyone else there is the lack of intensity and pride our players are currently displaying. Thats the worrying thing....

4 of our 6 small forwards are injured; and JJ is not fit.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm fully aware of the injuries, Claudonius. But my point is that calling someone a small forward doesn't make them Tyson Stengle or Kozzie Pickett. There was a time when I thought Cody Weightman fit the bill because he is a good player and he is a small forward. But I now realise that Cody does not satisfy a key role of a modern small forward - which is to support the midfield and HB line the way some star small forwards have in recent successful teams. And I'm not sure anyone on our list currently even has that potential except for Arthur Jones.

Doggy suggested Charlie Clarke might. Clarke doesn't look like he's naturally speedy enough to me (although he's sure not slow!) But I hope Doggy's right, because if Clarke and Jones can both fill that role well then I think that will help our future midfield significantly.

Last edited:
But arent they one of our major sponsors ?

No issues with them being a sponsor, that part is fine. But in higher education they are considered wooden spooners so if we are partnering with them on sports science, we aren't working with the best available in the field. Unfortunately Vic Uni is convenient being so close

I'm fully aware of the injuries, Claudonius. But my point is that calling someone a small forward doesn't make them Tyson Stengle or Kozzie Pickett. There was a time when I thought Cody Weightman fit the bill because he is a good player and he is a small forward. But I now realise that Cody does not satisfy a key role of a modern small forward - which is to support the midfield and HB line the way some star small forwards have in recent successful teams. And I'm not sure anyone on our list currently even has that potential except for Arthur Jones.

Doggy suggested Charlie Clarke might. Clarke doesn't look like he's naturally speedy enough to me (although he's sure not slow!) But I hope Doggy's right, because if Clarke and Jones can both fill that role well then I think that will help our future midfield significantly.
Have a read of this draft profile write up on Clarke - Charlie Clarke

Might alleviate a few of your concerns, Clarke definitely has the traits required to get up the ground and help out - he’s played a fair few midfield minutes in the NAB league, including a 33 disposal game.

Agree with your sentiments on Cody that he’s mainly a deeper forward who can kick bulk goals - sounds like we’re trying to round out his game a little though with the stints he was taking in the midfield in the preseason. I think with Cody it’s probably just a fitness thing, he had a remarkably small tank in his first year at the club I remember thinking he was a mile away because of how gassed he got quickly.

He’s improving this side of his game and will get there though and find a way to have more of an impact when he’s not hitting the scoreboard. But really he’s rare in that I do believe he can be a 40-50 goal small forward, so we want to nurture that and make sure we don’t take away from that side of his game.

Agree on Arty too that he’s more natural up the field, I think his best spot will be HFF pushing right up the ground and trying to burn opposition back towards goal. His biggest strength is his endurance, I remember the first preseason game he ever played against Essendon and the way he covered the ground was genuinely great. Constantly finding the ball both in the backline and forward line within seconds of each other. That trait can get wasted deep forward.

So I think all in all it’s a pretty good mix between the 3 of them that can compliment each other nicely. Cody spending more of his time deep and focusing on hitting the scoreboard, Arty focusing on getting super high up the ground and helping out the midfield - and Clarke maybe more of a nice mix of both. Hopefully Clarke can be a type that can take genuine CBs as an option to change things up because I think we’re lacking that spark you can throw into a CB like Richmond do with Bolton for example.

I think our forward line is in remarkably good shape going forward with Naughty, Marra, Darcy, Buku, Cody, Clarke & AJ - only problem is that they range in the age of 18-23 and Naughty/Cody aside the rest have played probably 20 games between them and two of them zero. So we’ve just got to be patient.

And what have you based this on? Can you fill me in on what her day-to-day duties as President looks like?
Basing what on? I merely ask you to tell me something constructive she's done.
It's true, I'm not familiar with day to day boardroom operations. Would you care to enlighten me? She certainly doesn't appear to be as vocal or passionate as other presidents. I'm guessing she gave the all-clear to renew Luke Beveridge for another two years, which is already a disaster and demonstrates a lack of standards for success.

I'm simply waiting to see anything, literally any action that addresses the anger and frustration of the supporters.

Thats what happens when you pay overs for blokes, the money has to come from somewhere, hence we have guys like Scott and Mcomb on the list to save money
No, the reason we have Scott and McComb on our list is because Beveridge has this bizarre vision about making Footscray being the best path for mature age players to make it in the AFL.

Even if we couldn't afford to lure superstars, at the very least we could be providing list spots to players with the best chance of meaningfully improving the team. We've needed a strong #1 ruckman for 5+ years now, yet we inexplicably continue to both recruit and keep list spots occupied by McComb, Scott, McNeil, Hannan, Roarke Smith, Vandermeer, Garcia and the list goes on. A lot of these players are short guys who can't kick, but try hard. I suspect Beveridge has a personal affinity for this type of player, probably because he was one himself.

Basing what on? I merely ask you to tell me something constructive she's done.
It's true, I'm not familiar with day to day boardroom operations. Would you care to enlighten me? She certainly doesn't appear to be as vocal or passionate as other presidents. I'm guessing she gave the all-clear to renew Luke Beveridge for another two years, which is already a disaster and demonstrates a lack of standards for success.

I'm simply waiting to see anything, literally any action that addresses the anger and frustration of the supporters.
You’re accusing her of doing nothing and only has the role to boost her resume. The burden is on you to provide literally anything to back this up

Have a read of this draft profile write up on Clarke - Charlie Clarke

Might alleviate a few of your concerns, Clarke definitely has the traits required to get up the ground and help out - he’s played a fair few midfield minutes in the NAB league, including a 33 disposal game.

Agree with your sentiments on Cody that he’s mainly a deeper forward who can kick bulk goals - sounds like we’re trying to round out his game a little though with the stints he was taking in the midfield in the preseason. I think with Cody it’s probably just a fitness thing, he had a remarkably small tank in his first year at the club I remember thinking he was a mile away because of how gassed he got quickly.

He’s improving this side of his game and will get there though and find a way to have more of an impact when he’s not hitting the scoreboard. But really he’s rare in that I do believe he can be a 40-50 goal small forward, so we want to nurture that and make sure we don’t take away from that side of his game.

Agree on Arty too that he’s more natural up the field, I think his best spot will be HFF pushing right up the ground and trying to burn opposition back towards goal. His biggest strength is his endurance, I remember the first preseason game he ever played against Essendon and the way he covered the ground was genuinely great. Constantly finding the ball both in the backline and forward line within seconds of each other. That trait can get wasted deep forward.

So I think all in all it’s a pretty good mix between the 3 of them that can compliment each other nicely. Cody spending more of his time deep and focusing on hitting the scoreboard, Arty focusing on getting super high up the ground and helping out the midfield - and Clarke maybe more of a nice mix of both. Hopefully Clarke can be a type that can take genuine CBs as an option to change things up because I think we’re lacking that spark you can throw into a CB like Richmond do with Bolton for example.

I think our forward line is in remarkably good shape going forward with Naughty, Marra, Darcy, Buku, Cody, Clarke & AJ - only problem is that they range in the age of 18-23 and Naughty/Cody aside the rest have played probably 20 games between them and two of them zero. So we’ve just got to be patient.
Thanks doggies ftw - great response, and this is the first ray of sunlight i've seen in a fairly grey last 48 hours! :thumbsu:

Go back and look at the second half of Q2 and see who started the chains that led to our run of goals. Bont and Macrae that’s who. Macrae is not perfect but he’s far from a liability. Macrae is a 3x AA inside mid, Daniel isn’t. I know who’d I’d want at the coal face.
There was one instance where he was playing near our 50 and something happened to him - he stopped, while play continued on and looked at the umpire as if to say "where's my free kick"

Didn't chase in that play at all

You’re accusing her of doing nothing and only has the role to boost her resume. The burden is on you to provide literally anything to back this up
Do you not understand what an accusation is? I just said there is little to indicate the club means anything more to her than that.

Do you not understand what an accusation is? I just said there is little to indicate the club means anything more to her than that.
What are you expecting from her though? Most presidents aren’t very visible to the fans in general. I have no opinion on her personally because I have genuinely no way of knowing if she’s doing a good or bad job

Remove this Banner Ad

Back