Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s showing the benefit of having decent availability with the playing list. Not just on game day but over the preseason and during the week

They were able to work on their game and train the way the way they want to play

And because it’s a young group he’s kept it simple focusing on getting the things they can control right first like contested possessions and pressure around the ball.

Keeping it basic and not worrying so much about more complicated facets for now

Whatever happens, at least if/when Simpson hands over the reigns some foundational building blocks will have been established

Shortest version I can do is ‘Simmo good, output s**t, head will still roll.’

Nuanced version is that Simpson is, and always has been, a good coach who would be in high demand should he leave (as a lead assistant at the very least).

However, it’s simply untenable for a club to be this bad for this long without the coach falling on his sword eventually. And of course he’s played a major part in the massive fall, alongside some other reasons such as availability. He was afforded more time than most by virtue of a long contract and an ultra conservative approach that has permeated the club for decades.

It’s now looking like he will leave us in surprisingly better shape than we expected the last few years, but ultimately no coach can survive all of this without a miracle. Pleasant to see some shoots though, really pleasing. Would love for it all to turn around so that there was a genuine argument for keeping him, but I think we just have too much ground to catch up on the competition by the time his contract finishes.

You’re at an interesting stage of the rebuild. The style you played on the weekend was attractive and attacking. Good to see Hough and Harley doing well, but the core is still the older guys who are pushing/past 30.

I watched the twos on telly before I headed to the game. About the only thing keeping my chin up this week. Not much there for you guys, and we looked quite good. Hoping that turtle of a coach of ours pulls a few out of there and dumps the dross like O’Meara and Hughes.

Couple more strong drafts and you’ll be going along nicely

Given the state of the list from last year throwing a new coach to the wolfs would of been suicide very glad to have an even keel for the next couple of years

That’s kinda what I thought. You were paying him anyway, and it looked like a giant s**t sandwich for a new coach

Definitely what this last 3 improved weeks have shown are the results of availability, being able to play much the same team each week, and have more depth to draw on.
A core team gets the chance to build chemistry, familiarity, synergy (whatever you want to call it) and all this helps bed down and build the game plan.

Credit where it's due, Simpson has had to endure a colossal trainwreck and face up to press every week for 2 years at least (certainly the last year) while trying to bring about change to the game plan. Okay, he was partly responsible for much of it and gets paid a truckload to deal with it. But he's stuck to it through thick and thin, knowing what he wanted to implement, and only now can we all see the fruits of his labour.

The Derby was where it all came together after building for past 3 games (really 6 games).
Now the team knows what it is capable of as a collective and believe in the game plan.
People are frothing over Harley, even suggesting he has single handedly brought us to this point?? He is the main attraction and undeniably a star player, adding to all the other components in Saturday's success.

It will only take an injury or two to our key senior players to alter the dynamics of this squad at this stage eg - Yeo, TK, Gov, Barrass, even Cripps, god forbid, the messiah himself? But we have others coming back Allen, Ryan etc. It's still early days with 17 games to go and a lot of travel. Not every game will look flash like the Derby, but you could safely say Simmo has turned a corner and pulled the nose up!
If we have a better than expected season, or continue into next season as an exponentially improved side, will he be offered an extension?

Last edited:

Definitely what this last 3 improved weeks have shown are the results of availability, being able to play much the same team each week, and have more depth to draw on.
A core team gets the chance to build chemistry, familiarity, synergy (whatever you want to call it) and all this helps bed down and build the game plan.

Credit where it's due, Simpson has had to endure a colossal trainwreck and face up to press every week for 2 years at least (certainly the last year) while trying to bring about change to the game plan. Okay, he was partly responsible for much of it and gets paid a truckload to deal with it. But he's stuck to it through thick and thin, knowing what he wanted to implement, and only now can we all see the fruits of his labour.

The Derby was where it all came together after building for past 3 games (really 6 games).
Now the team knows what it is capable of as a collective and believe in the game plan.
People are frothing over Harley, even suggesting he has single handedly brought us to this point?? He is the main attraction and undeniably a star player, adding to all the other components in Saturday's success.

It will only take an injury or two to our key senior players to alter the dynamics of this squad at this stage eg - Yeo, TK, Gov, Barrass, even Cripps, god forbid, the messiah himself? But we have others coming back Allen, Ryan etc. It's still early days with 17 games to go and a lot of travel. Not every game will look flash like the Derby, but you could safely say Simmo has turned a corner and pulled the nose up!
If we have a better than expected season, or continue into next season as an exponentially improved side, will he be offered an extension?
An extension! Jeez don't open that can of worms.

Happy for Adam to get some breathing room to get on with his job.

I was very critical last year when it looked like the senior players had checked out, our kids were getting belted around and there was zero response. The classic "lost the playing group" syndrome.

Looks like the lads have found some spark. They are playing for each-other and the coach again. It look like the players have some pride in their work again. Let's see where it takes us.

Seeing how the Hawks (supposed genius Sam Mitchell) and North Melbourne are going (4 time premierships coach clarkson) makes me realize that maybe there's only so much the coach can do in a short space of time.

Clarkson is in his second year and his players are still headless chooks

Mitchell similarly was the golden boy last year and this year seems all at sea after copping a few injuries
Played 250 games of league footy and can say that the impact that coaches have is vastly overrated. They have a role but aren’t the most important factor.

It’s the playing group they have available that is the most important factor. Same coach, one year we come second last the following year we are playing in a grand final. He didn’t coach any better just had a better list.

Yes I could rank my several coaches I played under from best to worst. They all had strengths and weaknesses. Some slightly better tactically, some better at motivating, different styles in terms of being too relaxed right through to being more of a dictator style.

However realistically the most important factor as to where we finished as a club came down to the talent pool available and commitment from that group on that particular year and also how bad our injury list was.

Too much credit is given to coaches when things are going well. Too much of the fault is layed at the coaches feet when things are going bad. It’s always been the way and it won’t change.

Imo the most impressive thing Simpson has done this year is getting the players to buy in again.

That's pretty extraordinary after two seasons of hell, rumoured unrest, nothing really improving and some pretty average scorelines to start the year.

I thought he lost them last year, who could blame them, but I can't remember seeing the club this bonded.

Imo the most impressive thing Simpson has done this year is getting the players to buy in again.

That's pretty extraordinary after two seasons of hell, rumoured unrest, nothing really improving and some pretty average scorelines to start the year.

I thought he lost them last year, who could blame them, but I can't remember seeing the club this bonded.

Reckon Harley might of had a bit to do with that.

Reckon Harley might of had a bit to do with that.
Agree, but I think it's been a group effort and I'm willing to bet players like Yeo, Gov, and new captains have had a massive say.

Can almost guarantee Yeo had some choice words in that come to Jesus meeting post Bulldogs loss.

And I think the coaches get credit too for simplifying the message and creating a plan where players like Harley can play their game.

Good all round, but still early days.

Agree, but I think it's been a group effort and I'm willing to bet players like Yeo, Gov, and new captains have had a massive say.

Can almost guarantee Yeo had some choice words in that come to Jesus meeting post Bulldogs loss.

And I think the coaches get credit too for simplifying the message and creating a plan where players like Harley can play their game.

Yeah I remember a comment, I’m pretty sure it was from Yeo after that loss that they were sick of losing.

If Harley is Yin then I reckon the senior group currently is Yan.

Yep, full kudos to Simmo, what he has done/is doing to turn the s**t sandwich into a salmon and avocado bagel is amazing really. The new game plan is at dizzy heights, and if it can keep growing, we will be a sensational watch again. If that happens I am up for an extension. Amazing turnaround!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having Shuey around probably helps also. I know a few didn't like it because it felt like a nepo hire but he was a seriously good stoppage player, especially centre clearances, and it's showing on gameday that he's been able to impart that to the mids.

Also an immensely popular bloke, so that also helps.

Yep, full kudos to Simmo, what he has done/is doing to turn the s**t sandwich into a salmon and avocado bagel is amazing really. The new game plan is at dizzy heights, and if it can keep growing, we will be a sensational watch again. If that happens I am up for an extension. Amazing turnaround!
Simpson said late last year, they needed to win contest around the ball, that's what he has done. In 2016 he said he knew how to fix the Eagles issues he did. Champion coach

Lets not get carried away here. The groundwork and this gamestyle has been in the works since late 2021.

It was tried early on before anyone really knew what to do and we were blown away particularly early in games. When tried later on in games with a still reasonable squad it got results.

The last 2 years have been an injury induced nightmare which has an effect of players not being fit enough, not being able to gel and develop together and at some stages not even be able to train partial match sim.

I still feel this is a bit of a dead cat bounce and there is some good young youth most of the young players either need years of development and or just aren't good enough. Yes since arriving at the club Reid has been significantly better than expected but if Yeo and Kelly go down it won't mean s**t as we just won't be able to come close to breaking even in the middle let alone winning in there.

A lot has changed off field and we have seen a huge improvement in regards to preparation and are seeing the benefits now. It is however a long season and without a miracle injury run don't expect this level to stay. Yes our last 2 seasons have been horrendous however when you discount injury it was always likely on list trajectory that 2024/2025 would be our worst years.

Will the injury curse end up being a boon? Maybe as we have Reid in particular out of it. Just like 2008 when we went in having lost 2 brownlow medallists and then had an injury crisis so bad we had to play Tony Notte for 2 games and were incredibly lucky that Melbourne ****ed up and took Watts and we landed a generational talent in Nicnat. We also got our former skipper and the best player i've seen never to make the AA team out of that draft.

If things even revert to the median in regards to injuries we are in deep trouble and whilst I think Simpson and everyone involved particularly over the offseason and in getting the young players feeling like they are part of something is making a big difference it's hard to see us not have a bad fall of period whether it be some stage this year or next year at which point keeping Simmo on post his current contract becomes untenable.

The right decision was made but for the club to be any chance of making this a successful rebuild we have to be better than pretty much the entire competition across almost all areas for 5-6 years. We have to get damned lucky too.

Lets not get carried away here. The groundwork and this gamestyle has been in the works since late 2021.

It was tried early on before anyone really knew what to do and we were blown away particularly early in games. When tried later on in games with a still reasonable squad it got results.

The last 2 years have been an injury induced nightmare which has an effect of players not being fit enough, not being able to gel and develop together and at some stages not even be able to train partial match sim.

I still feel this is a bit of a dead cat bounce and there is some good young youth most of the young players either need years of development and or just aren't good enough. Yes since arriving at the club Reid has been significantly better than expected but if Yeo and Kelly go down it won't mean s**t as we just won't be able to come close to breaking even in the middle let alone winning in there.

A lot has changed off field and we have seen a huge improvement in regards to preparation and are seeing the benefits now. It is however a long season and without a miracle injury run don't expect this level to stay. Yes our last 2 seasons have been horrendous however when you discount injury it was always likely on list trajectory that 2024/2025 would be our worst years.

Will the injury curse end up being a boon? Maybe as we have Reid in particular out of it. Just like 2008 when we went in having lost 2 brownlow medallists and then had an injury crisis so bad we had to play Tony Notte for 2 games and were incredibly lucky that Melbourne ****ed up and took Watts and we landed a generational talent in Nicnat. We also got our former skipper and the best player i've seen never to make the AA team out of that draft.

If things even revert to the median in regards to injuries we are in deep trouble and whilst I think Simpson and everyone involved particularly over the offseason and in getting the young players feeling like they are part of something is making a big difference it's hard to see us not have a bad fall of period whether it be some stage this year or next year at which point keeping Simmo on post his current contract becomes untenable.

The right decision was made but for the club to be any chance of making this a successful rebuild we have to be better than pretty much the entire competition across almost all areas for 5-6 years. We have to get damned lucky too.
WoW, Buzz kill much😁 just kidding but I hope for the confidence of the group we stay at least competitive.
Some of our players have been feeling it for two years now and hope with the last two wins that they rise quicker than anticipated.
But for now I am gonna enjoy the hell out of our recent form and pray it stays.

What I've really liked about the last couple of weeks is how it reminded me that 5 or so good players is all it takes to get you winning (with appropriate role players). Right now: Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Gov and Waterman are playing at a high level which makes everyone else look better.

I'm sold on Reid and Waterman (as FF), so our challenge is finding two more good mids and at least one good KPD. Finishing bottom 4 is probably our best chance at finding another good mid and hopefully one of Ginbey/Hewett become the other.

KPD is still our weakness, but if Waterman stays good, we have a lot of options to try some of our young talls back (Maric or A Reid).

What I've really liked about the last couple of weeks is how it reminded me that 5 or so good players is all it takes to get you winning (with appropriate role players). Right now: Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Gov and Waterman are playing at a high level which makes everyone else look better.

I'm sold on Reid and Waterman (as FF), so our challenge is finding two more good mids and at least one good KPD. Finishing bottom 4 is probably our best chance at finding another good mid and hopefully one of Ginbey/Hewett become the other.

KPD is still our weakness, but if Waterman stays good, we have a lot of options to try some of our young talls back (Maric or A Reid).

I've said it before but it really comes down to how Maric progresses. If he is creating goals from the forward line and kicking 30+ a season he's a forward but he has all the perfect attributes to be not only very good as a third tall in defence but also as an elite distributor from defence. We'll have to see how the next couple of years go but I think while he could be a very good forward he could be more important to the team and provide more influence from defence. Always a plan B with him to swing him forward etc if needed or there's a mismatch too.

One issue I feel the media (not surprising) and many have not understood or got right is the effect of the Tassie team. Read a poor article ths week about how North, Hawks, Eagles and Richmonds rebuilds are doomed because of all the talent that will be sucked up by the Tassie team.

They are right, alot of talent will go to the new team. So in 2027 who will that really effect?

The teams that have already been focused on rebuilding for 4 to 5 years already? Or the teams such as Collingwood and others who have an aging list have not bottomed out recently and being in contention have topped up with experienced players close to retirement?

Feel North, Hawks and Eagles will have pretty well topped up with quality draft picks and kids by 2027, thats three more drafts.

So which clubs are about to start rebuilding in the next three years? Because they are the clubs in real trouble. Not the clubs who decided to rebuild before the 19th team takes all the cream.

One issue I feel the media (not surprising) and many have not understood or got right is the effect of the Tassie team. Read a poor article ths week about how North, Hawks, Eagles and Richmonds rebuilds are doomed because of all the talent that will be sucked up by the Tassie team.

They are right, alot of talent will go to the new team. So in 2027 who will that really effect?

The teams that have already been focused on rebuilding for 4 to 5 years already? Or the teams such as Collingwood and others who have an aging list have not bottomed out recently and being in contention have topped up with experienced players close to retirement?

Feel North, Hawks and Eagles will have pretty well topped up with quality draft picks and kids by 2027, thats three more drafts.

So which clubs are about to start rebuilding in the next three years? Because they are the clubs in real trouble. Not the clubs who decided to rebuild before the 19th team takes all the cream.
Spot on. I posted similar a few months ago that if we get this right we will be in the best position of all teams by 2027 having stocked up with young talent, being on the rise with cap space to burn to bring in FAs. In my eyes Collingwood, Geelong and to a lesser extent Melbourne and Richmond (depending on what they do with some of their stars) are the clubs that will be in big trouble.

Spot on. I posted similar a few months ago that if we get this right we will be in the best position of all teams by 2027 having stocked up with young talent, being on the rise with cap space to burn to bring in FAs. In my eyes Collingwood, Geelong and to a lesser extent Melbourne and Richmond (depending on what they do with some of their stars) are the clubs that will be in big trouble.

Hawthorn 3-peated due to the impact of GC and GWS IMO. Hawthorn were essentially the finished product whilst the other close sides were just short a piece or 2 of their own in a lot of ways.

As the AFL want the Devils to be competitive from the start they won’t just be getting draft picks but established players as well. Don’t think this has been spelt out yet.

By then our now 28+ players won’t be around or of interest. And as we’re short on 23-28 players … that probably means we'll have to give up mostly young players? That is, the backbone of our rebuild. Could this be more of an issue to us than other clubs whose lists are more even aged?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back