Religion ‘Submit to your husbands’: Women told to endure domestic violence in the name of God

Remove this Banner Ad

The husband has to uphold his side of the 'bargain'.
In fact the healthiest marriages are ones where husband and wife love each other over themselves.
If I sacrifice for my wifes benefit then she feels loved and respected and will in turn sacrifice for me.
It's healthy and continues to develop deeper love.

And I would hope that the church would definitely be encouraging the man to 'man up' for his wife.

You know the idea of reciprocity wasn't invented by the religious?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unsurprisingly that would be the extent of your wisdom fundamentalist viewpoint.

On the other hand wise theological scholars would understand that the Bible is open to much interpretation and as one has written in his commentary on the book:

"The Bible does not stand or fall by the accuracy of its information, because it is not a textbook of science, or history or archaeology"

Not that anything vaguely informed is likely to make the scales fall from your eyes.

Carry on.

Sadly those liberal theologians that you call wise - you know the ones who tickle the ears and whatnot, are the problem. This take anything you like out of the scriptures idea is what leads to abuse, dishonesty and ultimately destructive lives. When there is no single point of accountability, anything goes.

Sadly those liberal theologians that you call wise - you know the ones who tickle the ears and whatnot, are the problem. This take anything you like out of the scriptures idea is what leads to abuse, dishonesty and ultimately destructive lives. When there is no single point of accountability, anything goes.

Even sadder are people who regard the Bible as the reference book for all our woes and travails. Much as Muslims do with the Quran, Hindus the Vedas, Jews the Torah et al.

Scholars, not merely theological ones, but philosophers, historians, linguists et al have demonstrated the Bible is riven with inaccuracies. If it gives meaning and purpose to your life, good on you, but quit the nonsense that it is an accurate reference book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even sadder are people who regard the Bible as the reference book for all our woes and travails. Much as Muslims do with the Quran, Hindus the Vedas, Jews the Torah et al.

Scholars, not merely theological ones, but philosophers, historians, linguists et al have demonstrated the Bible is riven with inaccuracies. If it gives meaning and purpose to your life, good on you, but quit the nonsense that it is an accurate reference book.

And quit the nonsense of the 'inaccuracy' argument.
Smarter people than you and I have spent Millenia trying to destroy or disprove.

Keep trying though.

Considering ol' Tessy talked about having a lady friend... my mind will never be clear enough to process this.

I'm sure you understand

It goes without saying, everybody knows it: (I've heard it read at plenty of marriage services)
wives submit to your husbands... for the husband is the head of the wife... wives should submit to their husbands in everything
husbands love your wives.... husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.

(with the mystical marriage between Christ and the church stuff edited out - I never did get that stuff)
Ephesians 5:22-28.

I guess what happens if the husband doesn't perform his side of the bargain the church still expect the wife to uphold hers.

Its like everything in Christianity/Religion these days, you seize upon whatever selection of scripture you like, and practice only that part, while ignoring the overall context. Far too many husbands are up to date on the first part - but not the second - and not enough wives are clued in on the second part, despite hearing it in services and marriage retreats, and mens discipleship programs and various other church meetings.

If your church is telling you to put up with an abusive husband - and while some might be, I dont think this is any more the case than non church going wives and girlfriends who stick with abusive husbands/boyfriends through fear or misguided loyalties - then you need to find a new church (if church is important to you).

I attended pentecostal churches for 30 years (although I dont now for various reasons), 15 of those in leadership positions - and never once did I hear of a pastor telling a wife to stay with an abusive husband in any congregation I was part of. In fact the opposite was generally true.

And quit the nonsense of the 'inaccuracy' argument.
Smarter people than you and I have spent Millenia trying to destroy or disprove.

Keep trying though.
But it is riddled with inaccuracies and fallacies. There is no proof of existence of any of what is written in there.

But it is riddled with inaccuracies and fallacies. There is no proof of existence of any of what is written in there.

Well thats not really true either. There is a fair bit of stuff in there that corresponds with known people, places and events in history. Theres a fair bit thats not, but to say theres no proof of existence of any is a fallacy in itself.

Well thats not really true either. There is a fair bit of stuff in there that corresponds with known people, places and events in history. Theres a fair bit thats not, but to say theres no proof of existence of any is a fallacy in itself.
Sorry, I meant to say myths and magical things.

Its like everything in Christianity/Religion these days, you seize upon whatever selection of scripture you like, and practice only that part, while ignoring the overall context. Far too many husbands are up to date on the first part - but not the second - and not enough wives are clued in on the second part, despite hearing it in services and marriage retreats, and mens discipleship programs and various other church meetings.

If your church is telling you to put up with an abusive husband - and while some might be, I dont think this is any more the case than non church going wives and girlfriends who stick with abusive husbands/boyfriends through fear or misguided loyalties - then you need to find a new church (if church is important to you).

I attended pentecostal churches for 30 years (although I dont now for various reasons), 15 of those in leadership positions - and never once did I hear of a pastor telling a wife to stay with an abusive husband in any congregation I was part of. In fact the opposite was generally true.

Absolutely

Give me one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back