Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Work rate good, normally a high IQ player who uses the ball well. Turnovers today are the outlier based on what we've seen from him so far.

That top end speed is a crazy big surprise - if he's able to use this more there is something to work with.

I always am surprised to learn that he is only 19.

I'd have him in over Turner.

FMD, there’s some hard markers around.

19 year old kid gets 14 possessions and is no good?

Had a horrid run of things go against him in the 2nd quarter, but did NOT hide. He gets several more chances from me.

Some absolute horrid calls after just 10 games of footy.
The kid has been out injured- he got in the right positions and was just a little bit off.
Like to look at the positives

You’d always take “can get the ball but made mistakes” over “can’t get near it” surely.
His disposal has generally been quite neat so I hardly be hanging him after a couple mistakes made obviously trying to carry out instructions.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

He gets to the right spots and gets the ball. He's playing a difficult position at the best times, let alone in a team at this stage of development.

Kind of player who needs other players to be able maximise his competitive edge - if he had a good quality forward leading up at him as he takes possession juts forward of centre and wheels around, you'd back him to hit them most times.

(No, this does not mean we should have kept Brown).

After a truly horrendous second quarter which certainly assisted in changed the momentum to Port, to his credit he did some nice things in the second half.

Wasn’t great and I’m doubtful long term.

But, his disposal is normally not an issue so I’m going to put today down to round 1 plus some incorrect options.

I am surprised his top pace was that high, and also that Noble has repeatedly referred to him as having pace. I’m yet to see it in a game.

Watching the game from Level 3 where you get a full view of the ground and running patterns, I too was surprised by the way he covered the ground. He’ll be better for the run and could prove an important link player across wing/half forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting how poor execution can make such a big difference.

Missed 2 very getable goals early and could have ended up with 3.

That turn over in the middle of the ground was pretty flattening - But I don't think we can fault what he was trying to do.

I agree with Snake that I'd play him closer to goal for now.

I don't have issues with the mistakes. His U18 rep was high IQ and high score involvements, so I will take the mistakes as an aberration for now.
You have to be impressed with his physical transformation to date. He doesn't have much to work with but he is covering the ground so much better than his first couple of years. Wasn't it mentioned that he hired a sprint/running coach during his off season? It seems to be paying off.

I get the feeling that he is the type who will squeeze out as much athleticism as is humanly possible out of his body because he knows it's a weakness. Similar to how boomer turned himself into a ball of muscle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Unpopular opinion.

I'm buying Jack Mahony shares

Worked unbelievably hard to get involved and I think he 'looks' slower than he actually is. No doubt he made some questionable decisions and execution was also off (probably more of the latter given it accentuates the former) but if he's getting it 15 times a game, getting a tackle a quarter and hitting the scoreboard every week as 19yo, we all know he possesses footy smarts and is usually cleaner with his ball use.

Devington summed it up really well but restating it here.

10 games
19 years old
Interrupted preseason
Debut season in 2020 - essentially worth half a season

Comes in and gets involved. That's all we should ask right now.

I cursed his errors on the day but how often had we had kids (and seniors) who come and look like they're not even sure what to do?

He found the action and botched the execution of a few times. Had a bit of bad luck too.

His precision will improve. Persist.

Devington summed it up really well but restating it here.

10 games
19 years old
Interrupted preseason
Debut season in 2020 - essentially worth half a season

Comes in and gets involved. That's all we should ask right now.

I cursed his errors on the day but how often had we had kids (and seniors) who come and look like they're not even sure what to do?

He found the action and botched the execution of a few times. Had a bit of bad luck too.

His precision will improve. Persist.

Bolded bit is what really gets to me ...

Interesting how poor execution can make such a big difference.

Missed 2 very getable goals early and could have ended up with 3.

That turn over in the middle of the ground was pretty flattening - But I don't think we can fault what he was trying to do.

I agree with Snake that I'd play him closer to goal for now.

He's not a close to goal pressure forward.

He's and up the ground linking mid/forward.

I'd like to see him closer to goal. With Cunnington, Anderson and Dumont out we had to be a bit creative in the middle. We don't have the depth to cover the players we had missing round one.

He's getting murdered in particular for "that kick" but that kick was exactly what Noble has been spruiking, trying to make things happen and learning the hard way when failing. He can be blamed for the goal going the other way to a degree but he can't be blamed for the next five, our guys should collectively be better.

He tried his guts out all day and he's only going to get better. Feels like he cops more from some people here because they didn't like where we drafted him but gee, don't know if I've seen a 19 year old ten gamer cop it like this from some.

Just read his Bio and apparently he has an IQ of 132. That’s nothing to be sneezed at. I like him.
His apparent deficiencies don’t bother me. He plays for the mighty NMFC.

He gets to the right spots and gets the ball. He's playing a difficult position at the best times, let alone in a team at this stage of development.

Kind of player who needs other players to be able maximise his competitive edge - if he had a good quality forward leading up at him as he takes possession juts forward of centre and wheels around, you'd back him to hit them most times.

(No, this does not mean we should have kept Brown).

Needs to be schooled by Patch and Boomer.

Surely it's midfield that's his option moving forward. Will never be a small forward IMO. Not enough pace and his kicking is a weakness.

His kicking is decent imo. Definitely not a weakness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back