Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Mahoney is a tough one to try and have an opinion on.

Shows a lot of effort and puts his body on the line, which is good.
But his skills and decision making are pretty consistently poor.
Had a few good kicks tonight. Had a couple of passages of play where he was not good.

I have to disagree with "consistently", I think he's sporadic in his disposal efficiency, but I put that down to youth and inexperience as opposed to a systemic inability to carry out the skill. I think he's 19 years old with a very good footy brain, which you can't teach, and some occasional errors in disposal, which can be taught with time and patience. He's got the potential to be a really good footballer for us for a long time, not our best and not a superstar, but always a strong contributor who cracks in, puts in repeat efforts and never dies wondering. He's certainly not as bad as some (not you Chad) would have you believe

I have to disagree with "consistently", I think he's sporadic in his disposal efficiency

I'm not just talking about his disposal efficiency when I talk about 'poor skills and decision making'.

I don't really want to come across as if I have it out for the kid (this is not a 'the Ziebull vs JMac' situation) but through 13 games this season I reckon Mahoney would lead the team in players who fail to keep their feet around a contest, or who win the hard footy but then handball it directly to the opposition in traffic, or who kick the ball to an out-numbered team mate leading to a turnover. Things like that.

I dunno. As I said he's hard to analyse because he's young and he shows effort, but for a guy playing a midfield/forward role he only averages, what, 10 touches a game? Doesn't get a lot of score involvements. Doesn't really play the forward-pressure role very well yet. So what's his role in the team exactly? And what is his future?

To be perfectly honest I'd prefer to see Will Phillips getting a game over him at this stage.

I'm not just talking about his disposal efficiency when I talk about 'poor skills and decision making'.

I don't really want to come across as if I have it out for the kid (this is not a 'the Ziebull vs JMac' situation) but through 13 games this season I reckon Mahoney would lead the team in players who fail to keep their feet around a contest, or who win the hard footy but then handball it directly to the opposition in traffic, or who kick the ball to an out-numbered team mate leading to a turnover. Things like that.

I dunno. As I said he's hard to analyse because he's young and he shows effort, but for a guy playing a midfield/forward role he only averages, what, 10 touches a game? Doesn't get a lot of score involvements. Doesn't really play the forward-pressure role very well yet. So what's his role in the team exactly? And what is his future?

To be perfectly honest I'd prefer to see Will Phillips getting a game over him at this stage.
Not with you at all on this; Mahony plays as a pressure forward, and repeatedly brings 3 and even four efforts at a contest. He needs to find some reach on his set shot kicking, which another pre-season building leg strength will address.

Phillips is just finding his feet as a clearance mid in the VFL, and can't play the same role

There's plankton that know more about footy than that bloke.

Tell me again how bringing in Tristan Xerri was the solution to all of our problems and David Noble was an idiot for keeping him in the VFL?

Mahoney is a tough one to try and have an opinion on.

Shows a lot of effort and puts his body on the line, which is good.
But his skills and decision making are pretty consistently poor.
Had a few good kicks tonight. Had a couple of passages of play where he was not good.

I just don't know. He's been better the last couple of weeks compared to how he was earlier in the season.

Yeah it slightly worrying that a guy that size has skills aren’t up to standard.
He’s only young and learning but if he’s still turning it over like that in 2-3 years - he won’t be in the seniors.

Also can have him paired up with Scott as our small forwards - both to similar and no real leg speed.

I really like this bloke, and people who are writing him off at 19 are making me hope that he makes it even more ( skills and decision making will improve). Mahony may not turn into a star but I'm backing him into to be a solid 200 gamer and of all the young ones we have I hope he makes the grade the most. Time will tell, but he seems to have the dedication to make it.

Tell me again how bringing in Tristan Xerri was the solution to all of our problems.......

I didn't tell you that. I'd rather talk football with a 4 year old child.

Yeah it slightly worrying that a guy that size has skills aren’t up to standard.
He’s only young and learning but if he’s still turning it over like that in 2-3 years - he won’t be in the seniors.

Also can have him paired up with Scott as our small forwards - both to similar and no real leg speed.

Well he has made errors no doubt but he also has shown good skills by hand and foot, so that probably tells me once he is comfortable in the league and completely gets the pace of the game his disposal will be more consistent.

i don’t have the same concerns re: pace, sure I wouldn’t call him lightning but he isn’t exactly slow, plus he’s got a good brain which makes up for that.

He's prepared to crack in harder and get dirtier than anyone else in our forward-line. Would have liked to see Nick Larkey get around him after a great effort at HF/wing in the first. I think that whole forward unit needs to keep growing together as I don't see a great bond, or sense of mateship, out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I legit don’t understand how people can’t see it with him...........

I can.

You are an experienced watcher of the game who has seen young blokes come through the system and you can now identify talent.

The others are either too young, recent to the game, or have the attention span of a goldfish.

Then there's tZ................he's "special"

I can.

You are an experienced watcher of the game who has seen young blokes come through the system and you can now identify talent.

The others are either too young, recent to the game, or have the attention span of a goldfish.

Then there's tZ................he's "special"
To be fair even many of us less experienced watchers liked him from the start

To be fair even many of us less experienced watchers liked him from the start

Then you are the wise novice who does not rush to judge. :thumbsu:

tZ is always in a sprint to be first with a call, when overall hit rate percentage is the only judgement that attracts credibility.

Highlight the mistakes don’t mention the good seems the way some see it

...........and here's the thing, how many of them are also in the list slash/play the kids camp?

Highlight the mistakes don’t mention the good seems the way some see it
Its not just with him.

(When Higgo was with us I even saw great play from Atley being praised on the GD thread as Higgo's work at least once. Easy mistake to make I guess if you don't see the number.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back