#1 - Richard Tambling

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Richard Tambling officially a Crow!

I like this - welcome to the Crows, RT.

Without the weight of the whole team on his shoulders, with good backs behind him, good forwards ahead, and some good inside mids to feed him, I think we'll see some of the brilliance he showed before drafting.

Good pick up. :thumbsu:

Third rounder's worth stuff all in this draft barring a project player someone's got the eye on, it's a good, reasonable result for both clubs. Plenty of talent, worth the punt. Prefer him over Walker.

He played very well in 2009 - if he plays to that level again we'll have a very good pick-up.

Nevertheless, would have thought a second rounder rather than the compo pick would've been appropriate.

But we shall see.

Spud footballer, the AFC should stick to running the 'trade week BBQ' got ripped in that deal, Ronnie Burns MK 2:rolleyes:

Richie had a terrific 2009 then injuries cut him down this year. His numbers improved every season bar this year. I can see him returning to the 2009 form (yes, we did develop him, contrary to some people's media-influenced opinion) coming off half-back. A terrific bloke. I reckon you'll be very pleased with him. Sorry to see him go, especially as he would be approaching the peak years of his career. Good luck to you.

We are desperate need of some outside mids.

so the shoe fits, as WW says occasionally you pay over the odds for what you really need

(hopefully we aren't like Brisbane however :D )

He is naturally an inside mid. In his junior days he went in and got his own footy. Injuries have been his major problem. Get him fit and you have a very very good player.

It's really sad to see him go but I really am excited for him and see Adelaide as the perfect fit.
You have yourself a bargain in my opinion. Well done.

Very happy about getting Richie.

Being a NT lad he might find living in Adelaide easier then melbourne.

Welcome to the Crows :thumbsu:

mr._liing_big.jpg

Very happy getting Tambling to our club.

Looks like the Crows will try and take as much pressure off him as possible. Seems like at Richmond the high draft selection got to his head and he couldnt perform under such pressure.

The first AFC article about the trade and we are already seeing things such as -

"He might have been a pick No.4 many years ago, but now he's a pick nothing. He's just a player who we think can play a role at our footy club. The two things that stand out about Richard are his speed and his character."

I think we can get the most out of him. Very exciting to have our club active during trade week again.

You guys will love Richie as a bloke! One of the nicest guys you will ever meet and has such a good head on his shoulders!
Single handedly gained us a $8mil grant from the Vic Government for our Indiginous Institute thats being built at Punt Road!

Top bloke, hopefully he can reach his potential!

This is an excellent trade despite what people think about overpaying it looks like a fair deal to me I'm assuming rendell dosnt think we can get anything decent outside the top 20 in the draft I can see us using our first round pick still on a mid and then a later pick as a project player not to mention all the rookies we have to upgrade probably won't draft more then 2 players

I can also still see us doing a deal for walker looking something like this

From Carl: Jacobs, walker, pick 18

From Adel: pick 14, second rd pick, 3rd round pick we recive for griffin and possibly sellar, cook etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its a clever trade with potentially big dividends for the Crows. At worst, if Tambling continues to be inconsistent then its still only a 50-50 trade. Unless Tambling quits football next year then I dont see how the Crows can lose out of this. Smart trading, trading for need and potentially a big win for the Crows.

A steal. Unless the injuries that have dogged him for a big part of his career (only one injury free preseason before the 09 season) drag him down, you will be laughing.

He's copped some appalling treatment from Richmond supporters, don't blame him for wanting to leave.

Richie is an absolutley top bloke, very unassuming, down to earth and real family guy, who has bore the brunt of some appalling treatment from some Tigers "fans" (i use the term loosely), the media and general AFL watchers. He has been played out of position a lot at the Tigers. I am sure you will get some great benefits from him on the field and around the club. I am really going to miss him as a player and as person at RFC. I wish him well. He deserves a second chance.

That draft had Tambling and Deledio concensus 1,2 mids, with Griffen more an upside, just behind, but the Dogs were in love with him, he was there before the draft started. It also have two obvious talls, ut Roughy was WAY ahead of Franklin. There were question marks over Buddys desire etc.

Richmond believe Deledio is more suited, take him. At this point it is a silent agreement between the Hawks and Tigers that tall and 1 mid each. So the HAwks go for best tall, Roughy, presuming they'll get Tambling after Tigers select Buddy.

Tigers say no, we think Tambling is too much a better footballer (at the time, he was), and take Tambling, leaving the Hawks taking Buddy. PEople act like it was a Hawks masterstroke.

Tambling has been stoned for who he was drafted before. Will be good to have a fresh start, hopefully he starts to reach his potential with us.

If you look at his stats he's showed steady improvement every year.

Code:
Year 	  Team 	   Games 	  Kicks 	Handballs 	Disposals 	Marks 	Goals 	Behinds 	Tackles 	Hitouts 	Frees For 	Frees Ag. 	Brownlow
2010 	Richmond 	13 	6.1 	6.5 	12.5 	2.9 	0.2 	0.2 	4.4 	0.2 	0.7 	0.9 	 
2009 	Richmond 	20 	12.0 	9.4 	21.5 	6.4 	0.4 	0.6 	3.2 	0.1 	0.6 	0.6 	0.25
2008 	Richmond 	22 	9.2 	8.3 	17.4 	5.1 	0.4 	0.4 	3.3 	0.3 	1.0 	1.0 	0.05
2007 	Richmond 	20 	8.0 	5.6 	13.6 	4.6 	0.8 	0.4 	2.4 	0.4 	0.6 	0.2 	0.10
2006 	Richmond 	21 	8.4 	3.6 	12.0 	4.4 	0.7 	0.9 	2.3 	0 	1.0 	0.4 	0.05
2005 	Richmond 	12 	6.1 	3.2 	9.2 	3.4 	0.8 	0.3 	2.1 	0 	0.2 	0.7

Can't seem to align the stats up properly but his disposal average goes from 9.2, 12.0, 13.6, 17.4 and then to 21.5 in 2009. This year it drops to 12.5. I'd say this is due to the lack of confidence/injuries that he has. He's just turned 24, so he's got close to just short of a decade of footy left in him. Play him off the wing/HBF and give him stints on ball (which was his preferred possy as a junior- he could win his own hardball as well) and watch him flourish.

I'm really, really worried about this.

Tambling showed extremely good signs in 2009, after about Round 5 or 6. But he had a shocking 2010, lets hope that was just down to injuries, and he can recapture his 2009 form.

I've been a massive critic of his over the years, so I'm not too excited about this deal. In fact, right now I hate it, but I guess only time will tell. 2 picks seems overboard.

I think the club has done well to land exactly what it needs - an outside mid with terrific acceleration and pace.

I'm delighted to have Tambling at the club - tear it up Richie and stick it up your smart arsed critics. :thumbsu:

Probably better suited to our needs than Walker. although I would love it if we could land Walker as well as Jacobs.

I know. I'm dreaming as the club says it just can't do that. Pity.

Time will tell about the wisdom of this trade, but I am optimistic. Was curious to know why the Crows rated RT's character. Went digging and found this.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/a-hard-story-told-with-grace/story-e6frg6po-1111115500471

Interesting read. Maybe he can do the mentoring. Loved the utube highlights. Lets hope he's over the hip surgery, survives preseason, and has a ripper 2011. Tambling's birthday is 12/09/1986, so he has only just turned 24. Good luck!

Delighted to hear this news, the way Tambling has been treated by the footy public has been appalling, he just hasn't been that bad. Worthy of pick 4, of course not. But worthy of pick 20 (or so)? Probably, and on potential, easily. He'll look alright in our side, I think.

The fact that we gave up pick 50 as well means very little, to my mind. That's effectively a fourth round pick in any other draft. Little more than sweetener, and I struggle to see how it changes too much in the "we got screwed over" stakes. While we've had some success with late picks over the years, the odds of picking up a decent player with pick 50 is not exactly that high. As others have said, if that was the difference between us getting Tambling or not getting him, I'd be quite disappointed if we had held on to it.

The fact that we gave up Bock for the compensation pick shouldn't even be considered here. Yes, we got completely raped by that compensation pick. Everyone recognises that. That doesn't mean that the compensation pick then is suddenly worth more, and we get raped a second time by trading it for its stated worth. The pick is effectively a pick in the low 20s in a few years time, unless we're intending to end up low on the ladder for a while, or a pick in the high 20s if we use it in this draft or next year's draft. It's a decent pick, but Tambling is a decent player.

Welcome to the Crows Richard Tambling :thumbsu: I hope you are able to produce your best form and live up to some of the hype you produced as a youngster :thumbsu:

At the risk of prolonging the continual comparisons between Tambling and Buddy, here is an interesting article about the draft by Dermott Brereton from a Hawthorn's perspective.

It was also known that Tambling was motivated. He would travel hundreds of kilometres each week to get to training and play with Southern Districts in Darwin.

For the beautifully free-spirited, indigenous sporting kids of NT this dedication at such a young age was unheard of. It spoke volumes to everyone that he wanted to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back