Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this bloke.

Epitome of a shinboner, not the most gifted footballer but wills himself on every contest, never takes a backward step, gives 100% every game and really love the hard tough stuff.

He would’ve been a Brownlow medalist had he of played in the 80’s or 90’s I reckon.

He ******* well dead set is gifted

The bloke is a clearance savant who isn't blessed with lightning speed. But he's as good as there's been at the coalface and absolutely gifted in that area

To minimise him to a good honest trier is unfair to Ben. He's a legitimate star of this team and the competition as a whole

I love that he doesn't then go and punch Caddy anyway. Knows he has the psychological edge over him. May as well just walk off
Ridiculously smart footballer.

He probably remembers the s**t with Vince, and unlike most footballers he's not dumb enough to give them another shot at him.

Robbo's like

10. BEN CUNNINGTON
The best handballer in the game continues to win plaudits, as does his team despite Sunday’s loss. He is a beauty with ball in hands, all skill and poise and he complements it with smartness and courage at the contest. He had 38 disposals and an extraordinary 32 of them were contested, which broke the previous record for most contested possessions in a match. Patrick Dangerfield and Sydney’s Josh Kennedy had 29, ahead of Chris Judd and Jude Bolton on 28.

Hates to kick high and hope, which was his only low light this week. When the forwards don't lead well enough for him the kicks go straight to a spot where they should/could be going to but aren't.

I think he needs to realise that a high kick in when there aren't any good leading options is sometimes the best option.

Wouldn't give a stuff that he's now an all time AFL record holder either

Just wouldn't give a stuff

I love him

He's probably fishing right now.

Love this bloke.

Epitome of a shinboner, not the most gifted footballer but wills himself on every contest, never takes a backward step, gives 100% every game and really love the hard tough stuff.

He would’ve been a Brownlow medalist had he of played in the 80’s or 90’s I reckon.

Spot on.

He's a modern day Diesel Williams tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He ******* well dead set is gifted

The bloke is a clearance savant who isn't blessed with lightning speed. But he's as good as there's been at the coalface and absolutely gifted in that area

To minimise him to a good honest trier is unfair to Ben. He's a legitimate star of this team and the competition as a whole

Agree 100%. Best handballer in comp and decent kick and mark as well.

One of the best contested marking mids in the game. Probably not as flashy as Fyfe in that regard, but if he has a 50-50 with any other mid in the comp i’d Back him 9 times out of 10.
Just uses that big country arse to barge them out of the way

Love this bloke.

I'd argue that he is a very gifted footballer. Elite handball, elite mark, very good kick. And these are not his main attributes, which is the contested possession stuff. If he had GAJ's pace, he'd be a better player than GAJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back