#12 in National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best available or what, if we get someone of Frawley, Rioli or Nathan Jones' quality I will be very very happy.

Does Darling remind anyone of a taller Rioli?

Same. He sounds like a bigger version of Aaron Hamill, would be very handy i reckon. Harper looks a bit too casual for mine

Best available or what, if we get someone of Frawley, Rioli or Nathan Jones' quality I will be very very happy.

Does Darling remind anyone of a taller Rioli?

Haha, could you get two more varied comparisons? My as well compare him to Scully & Spencer.

Bigger version of Hamill is a bit much, but he does play a similar very aggressive & physical style.

Im warming back to Jack Darling and I reckon hes going to be available too.

Yes please. If he is available at our pick and we don't take him, i think it will be a big mistake. Fits what we need in our forwardline perfectly. From what I've seen of him, the kid will be a player. Hard to match up on as he plays tall but is capable of crumbing as well.

My gut feeling is that he will be gone by pick 12 though. But in my eyes, he HAS TO BE our target with pick 12...

Lycett - doubt we'll spend our first pick on a pure ruckman unless Gorringe somehow falls through (as he can play forward as well). He would need a few years in the system as well so wouldnt be the answer for Jamars backup.

Yes please. If he is available at our pick and we don't take him, i think it will be a big mistake. Fits what we need in our forwardline perfectly. From what I've seen of him, the kid will be a player. Hard to match up on as he plays tall but is capable of crumbing as well.

My gut feeling is that he will be gone by pick 12 though. But in my eyes, he HAS TO BE our target with pick 12...

He'll be there still at 12 due to some issues..............

He'll be there still at 12 due to some issues..............

Exactly!
He's mucked up twice, including getting kicked out of school for a sex-related incident. The other incident resulted in a fractured skull.
The other thing with Darling is at 191cm, he is competing with Bate, Dunn, Jurrah and Petterd who are all similar height.
I would be happy with Lucas Cook (reminds me a bit of Warren Dean!), Billie Smedts (we need someone for Bartram's position) or hope that Gorringe slips to 12.
We won't go pure midfielder with Jack Viney heading our way next year. It will be best available tall or small/medium defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Viney = 2012 i think

With regard to darling its the style of the player not the height, at his height he is only 1-2 centimetres off Brown, Fevola and the Reiwoldts

if his game style is that of a marking aggressive full forward, then he can do it, simple

Bate and Dunn are really not pure KPP's

Jurrah and Pettard also are not

Exactly!
He's mucked up twice, including getting kicked out of school for a sex-related incident. The other incident resulted in a fractured skull.
The other thing with Darling is at 191cm, he is competing with Bate, Dunn, Jurrah and Petterd who are all similar height.
I would be happy with Lucas Cook (reminds me a bit of Warren Dean!), Billie Smedts (we need someone for Bartram's position) or hope that Gorringe slips to 12.
We won't go pure midfielder with Jack Viney heading our way next year. It will be best available tall or small/medium defender.

As its been pointed out to me by someone on here. Its hardly shocking news that a 17yo boy got caught in a girls room after lights out! I'm pretty sure I remember getting up to similar things at his age.

And the incident out the front of a night club was compleatly unprovoked. Got king hit from behind. Sadly that sh!t happens far to frequently on our streets.

Finaly I see him as a different player to Bate and Dunn. He appears quite agile yet already weights 94kg so I see him as a more naturally powerful player ala Pavlich.

191cm is not ideal but is far from to short to be a FF at AFL level. Look at Fev and even our own David Neitz have both kicked bucket loads of goals.

Exactly!
Er, I know I've been guilty of bagging him before, but Bartram is like 22yo and has just had his best season...

As its been pointed out to me by someone on here. Its hardly shocking news that a 17yo boy got caught in a girls room after lights out! I'm pretty sure I remember getting up to similar things at his age.

And the incident out the front of a night club was compleatly unprovoked. Got king hit from behind. Sadly that sh!t happens far to frequently on our streets.

Finaly I see him as a different player to Bate and Dunn. He appears quite agile yet already weights 94kg so I see him as a more naturally powerful player ala Pavlich.

191cm is not ideal but is far from to short to be a FF at AFL level. Look at Fev and even our own David Neitz have both kicked bucket loads of goals.

Good post. And I agree completely.

Posters look at height, but don't take into account a players style. Robertson played tall at 184cms, while Dunn plays small(ish) at 192.

Yeah, I agree with the posts above. It's all about the way in which one plays and approaches the game, as opposed their height.

We can use Fevola as an example of an individual who plays tall for his height, whilst Paul Johnson is an example of someone who plays short for his size.

Sure, 191cm probably isn't quite as tall as you would like a KPF to be, but if he has the talent and plays in such a manner that suits the role, then I see no reason why the MFC shouldn't pick the kid at 12 (assuming he's the one they want to go with).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104173/default.aspx

MELBOURNE
NAB AFL Draft selections: 12, 32, 49, 52, 83
Delistings and retirements: Daniel Bell, Kyle Cheney (Hawthorn), James McDonald, Brad Miller
Additions: Nil
Approach: The Dees are well stocked on tall defenders and midfielders but may be looking at gaining a mid-sized or tall forward to complement Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah. They could also use a player of equivalent size and pace at the other end of the ground to take on mid-sized opposition forwards.
Dream selection: At 187cm, Kieran Harper looks to have potential as a dangerous mid-sized forward. He is classy and can break open games. At this stage he looks like falling somewhere between 10-15 and will be strongly considered for Melbourne's first pick.

It does, but recruiters now have to be convinced that is was unprovoked and I believe a few of them will not put the benefit of the doubt in his favour. With a quiet carnival and concerns about in-between size I think he'll last to pick 12 and past it.

Er, I know I've been guilty of bagging him before, but Bartram is like 22yo and has just had his best season...
Yeah but how much better is he going to get, and if he's not got much improvement in him then is he good enough for a flag? I'd be concerned with finding a replacement for Bruce first though.

That's where guys like Atley and Smedts come in. Good size, agility and skill to play a HBF, with midfield potential.

Priorities: Key forward, Ruck/Forward, Half back flanker, Outside midfielder.

I'm not sure were all this talk that we need a mid sized swing man comes from. I thought that's exactly the role Morton plays.

I understand calls for a Bruce replacment and an upgrade on Bartram, but I'm not so sure we don't already have them.

For mine a back 6 of:

FB:Strauss Rivers Garland
HB:Grimes Frawley Morton

With Davey and Grimes swaping in the midfield, if needed to tag a small forward then a Bennell or Bail goes down to apply a hard check, with Morton getting the run with roles on players like Pav or Goodes.

A forward line of:

HF:Tapscott Watts Petterd
FF:Fitzpatrick Jurrah Wonna??

Is far more worrying...

I don't really want Smedts because of his swingman ability, as Morton is definitely the best candidate for such a role, but rather because he's just a damn good footballer who possesses a lot of pace and skill, and as a result of that, I think he would fit into our fast moving gameplan perfectly.

Of course, his versatility is a bonus and would offer us some diversity on match day if Plan A isn't working, but his talent is what would get him over the line for me. As I said before, though, we should be looking at a key forward before anything else.

I don't really want Smedts because of his swingman ability, as Morton is definitely the best candidate for such a role, but rather because he's just a damn good footballer who possesses a lot of pace and skill, and as a result of that, I think he would fit into our fast moving gameplan perfectly.

Of course, his versatility is a bonus and would offer us some diversity on match day if Plan A isn't working, but his talent is what would get him over the line for me. As I said before, though, we should be looking at a key forward before anything else.

Good post Cannons.

Plus with the limited interchange rule, players who can be moved into multiple roles are going to become much more valuable.

I think Smedts is a very high possibility for our pick.

I think this talk of height is over rated as well.

If you watched Nick Riewoldt and Jack Riewoldt at a game with the styles that they play, you would think that Nick is taller. He is in fact he is 193cms and jack is 195cms.

Jonathon Brown is 195cms. I cant see how 4cms really makes that much difference.

We need someone who can bang and crash packs in time. Reckon the footage of Darling shows that his style is more in that mould than the Nick Riewoldt type of breaking their opponent through elite running searching long leads.

We have that player already in Watts (196cms). Lets get someone agressisve who is big, can take a pack mark and is happy to stay at home in and around the goals.

Obviously this is predicated on IF he is still around at #12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back