Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your problem with Baguley?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As our esteemed mod said, discussion is better over here. I don't have a problem with Baguley, I'm just saying that you overrate him. A "very good" season? Please, it's average at best. Has had at least horrible weeks surrounded by several average ones and a couple of good games. So, overall an average, maybe a bit above average season. Far from a very good season, which I would only say Fantasia, Merrett, Hurley, Daniher, Goddard and McGrath

As our esteemed mod said, discussion is better over here. I don't have a problem with Baguley, I'm just saying that you overrate him. A "very good" season? Please, it's average at best. Has had at least horrible weeks surrounded by several average ones and a couple of good games. So, overall an average, maybe a bit above average season. Far from a very good season, which I would only say Fantasia, Merrett, Hurley, Daniher, Goddard and McGrath

That's based on the "Eth-Dog" rating scale where if they don't live up to your standard then you criticise them to make yourself feel like a hero!

My rating scale is far different!

I think it's a team game and as far as I'm concerned the team is exceeding where most would think they should be!

Baguley is just as big a part of the team as Joe is as far I am concerned!

As soon as Baguley makes a mistake then their is unfortunately a high proportion of people ready to point it out!

I'm just acknowledging that he is doing a great job and I hope it continues because that will benefit the team!

That's based on the "Eth-Dog" rating scale where if they don't live up to your standard then you criticise them to make yourself feel like a hero!

My rating scale is far different!

I think it's a team game and as far as I'm concerned the team is exceeding where most would think they should be!

Baguley is just as big a part of the team as Joe is as far I am concerned!

As soon as Baguley makes a mistake then their is unfortunately a high proportion of people ready to point it out!

I'm just acknowledging that he is doing a great job and I hope it continues because that will benefit the team!

So it's gone from very good to great?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Just because a team is exceeding expectations doesn't mean every player is. He is having an average season, he'd be well outside the top 10 in the best and fairest so far in a middle of the road team, would you agree?

So it's gone from very good to great?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Just because a team is exceeding expectations doesn't mean every player is. He is having an average season, he'd be well outside the top 10 in the best and fairest so far in a middle of the road team, would you agree?

Eth I think you are missing the point.

I don't expect Baguley to be best on ground or even top ten in the b&f every year because he doesn't have that role in the team. This isn't Real Madrid where you can go and buy the best players around the globe.

We have a salary cap and I don't expect Baguley to be producing what Joe does!

All I expect from Baguley is to contribute to the team dynamic and also beat his man! I don't expect him to be able to do that every week but I personally believe he's done that for most of the year!

Every side has players like Baguley and Ambrose in their side and they are usually highly respected within the club but more often than not made the scapegoat for the side when things don't go our way!

Is their anyone else in the team that you would like me to stop saying positive things about?

Eth I think you are missing the point.

I don't expect Baguley to be best on ground or even top ten in the b&f every year because he doesn't have that role in the team. This isn't Real Madrid where you can go and buy the best players around the globe.

We have a salary cap and I don't expect Baguley to be producing what Joe does!

All I expect from Baguley is to contribute to the team dynamic and also beat his man! I don't expect him to be able to do that every week but I personally believe he's done that for most of the year!

Every side has players like Baguley and Ambrose in their side and they are usually highly respected within the club but more often than not made the scapegoat for the side when things don't go our way!

Is their anyone else in the team that you would like me to stop saying positive things about?

So he's well outside the top 10 in the BnF in a middle of the road side. Gotcha. Sounds to me like he's having an AVERAGE (Not poor, not s**t, bang, middle of the road average) season.

So he's well outside the top 10 in the BnF in a middle of the road side. Gotcha. Sounds to me like he's having an AVERAGE (Not poor, not s**t, bang, middle of the road average) season.
How the * you got that from his post I'll never know. Take your holier then thou goggles off and try reading his post *******.

How the **** you got that from his post I'll never know. Take your holier then thou goggles off and try reading his post *******.
He basically said "I don't expect him to be top 10 in the BnF". He outright avoided the question I posed. Why don't you read his post before going off half cocked?

He basically said "I don't expect him to be top 10 in the BnF". He outright avoided the question I posed. Why don't you read his post before going off half cocked?
I did read his post.

That's how I know what it said not what you believe it "basically" said.

Classic ethan. "Nah the post doesn't mean what's written it means this other thing that I've made up in my head."

Christ, is it that hard for everyone to not be so adversarial and provocative?

Enough. Don't misquote people or misrepresent their arguments and don't abuse people. It's not hard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been solid to good after a horror start to the year where honestly he was lucky to keep his spot in the side.

I still wouldn't mind seeing McNiece take his spot, being younger and having shown good signs in his few outings. I think the difference in what they bring to the side would be minimal and it would be better for our future. I can't imagine Baguley will be around any longer than next year. I don't reckon he's going any better than Dempsey was in his final year so if he gets delisted this year it wouldn't surprise me.

Depending on how long we keep McGrath back, by next year we may need 3 of these guys to be able to play an active best 22 role in our backline:
McKenna, McNiece, Gleeson, Ridley, Long etc playing down back. Dea may be able to play on the medium type depending on the side. There is also the utility type players including Goddard and Francis.

Bags is playing well above expectations... my expectations... I thought he was shot - too slow to the contest - poor rebound - surpassed by the young blokes needing to be developed.

But kudos to him. He's been very solid in recent weeks. He's reading the play exceptionally well, he's not making many mistakes, and he's putting his body on the line. I still dread him playing on a Betts or Rioli type but I'm not complaint about his contribution thus far. It's up to players like Gleeson to play well enough to displace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back