Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had a much improved second half of the year, where his first half was average.

It's easy to have a high DE as a defender, especially when you continually take a safe option. Baguley does two things when he has the ball, he either does your 45 meters down the line to cause a stoppage (which is counted as an effective disposal) or he turns around and passes it to a player in clear space. Do you ever see him be a distributor in the back half to create attacks? No, because his kicking isn't effective enough.
Hate to sound BTish, but plays within his limitations? Let mcgrath, McKenna, Hurls and Hartley create.

Bags does create sometimes - I know he does because when he does it I take note because he's just 'supposed' to be this workhorse lockdown defender. Sometimes his kicking is brilliant. He's had a very good last 2/3's of the year and when he plays his role the team is better for it.

Bags does create sometimes - I know he does because when he does it I take note because he's just 'supposed' to be this workhorse lockdown defender. Sometimes his kicking is brilliant. He's had a very good last 2/3's of the year and when he plays his role the team is better for it.
Spot on.

He was obviously asked to improve this part of his game by the coaches and he has made great gains on that throughout the year. I have always considered him to be a good user of the ball but now he has added attacking options to his repertoire. He's never going to be like Hurley because he doesn't have the penetration but he's a smart decision maker and can hit a target up to 40 meters with no problem.

Baguley is rated 6th in the AFL for Effective disposal efficiency. So I just can't see how he dicks around with the ball.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Disposal efficiency is one thing, putting a teammate under pressure or to advantage is what frustrates everyone. That's an intangible DE doesn't measure....the by product of the disposal.

Defend first & give off should be his mantra.

Disposal efficiency is one thing, putting a teammate under pressure or to advantage is what frustrates everyone. That's an intangible DE doesn't measure....the by product of the disposal.

Defend first & give off should be his mantra.
Watch him more closely.

Baguley strikes me as a good user of the ball without being overly damaging offensively. He'll make a pass he knows he can nail and doesn't really bother trying to pin point a team mate in the corridor or anything fancy like that.

Realistically that is all you can ask of a guy who isn't an elite kick I think. No reason he can't go on next year too.

Not really surprised with our nomination for most courageous.

Put's his head over the ball every time without regard.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/2017s-most-courageous-nominees/

THE ROBERT ROSE AWARD FOR MOST COURAGEOUS PLAYER 2017 NOMINEES:

Adelaide: Rory Sloane

Brisbane: Darcy Gardiner

Carlton: Matthew Kreuzer

Collingwood: Tyson Goldsack

Essendon: Mark Baguley

Fremantle: Nathan Fyfe

Geelong: Joel Selwood

Gold Coast: David Swallow

GWS Giants: Callan Ward

Hawthorn: Luke Hodge

Melbourne: Jack Viney

North Melbourne: Jack Ziebell

Port Adelaide: Tom Jonas

Richmond: Dylan Grimes

St Kilda: Jarryn Geary

Sydney: Callum Mills

West Coast: Jeremy McGovern

Western Bulldogs: Dale Morris

Bit surprised that Bags doesn't have a contract yet. I've got no doubt it'll get done but I would have thought it's one that they could knock out fairly quickly.

Gotta lock Draper up now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played every game this year so whatever the trigger was he must have fulfilled it right?
That article is from July so I would certainly think so!

Had a reasonable season, but to me was in the favoured category, makes too many costly mistakes.
IMO, has been a good servant, move him on, or perm. VFL.

I must admit the first third of the season I wanted him dropped. That said the longer the season went the better he played both defensively and offensively.

I actually think his ball use is pretty good. Just he often doesn't get much of it. He had quite a few games where he went at very high efficiency (I know its a flawed stat but that only supported what i was seeing in games - he was hitting targets). No he isn't Merrett who can drill the passes in between 2 opposition players but he still did use the ball reliably well in the second half of the season.

Anyway if he was 25 - I'd have him as a lock for the team going forward. Given he's 30 - I'd like to see us start to develop some youngsters in that role - even if its someone like McNiece who may be the next Baguley for the club (experienced VFL player who goes on to play 100 games for the club mostly as a lock down small defender).

Defensively Baguley struggles to keep up with quicker opponents now. The knee injury has really hurt him. It kinda reminds me of Mark Johnson or McVeigh in their final years. Pretty good players at a point in time but a step or 2 off the pace.

What maybe underestimated is that its his first year without his counterpart Hibberd around and Hibberd's overhead prowess and precision kicking would have made any other small backs' lives a touch easier.

Not sure what sort of chemistry those two guys had as well.

What maybe underestimated is that its his first year without his counterpart Hibberd around and Hibberd's overhead prowess and precision kicking would have made any other small backs' lives a touch easier.

Not sure what sort of chemistry those two guys had as well.
Second, actually. Also Gleeson's ability to cut off attacks seems to be flying under the radar

Sets the standard for attitude. One of my fav players.
Was unlucky not to get the nod for 2016 special captain i reckon. I'll be glad to see him go round again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back