Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

My boy.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-07-26/working-class-milestone

"On Sunday Baguley will play his 100th game for Essendon when the side takes on Western Bulldogs.

“It’s pretty exciting, it’s a big achievement, I’m sure once I finish my career I’ll look back and be very proud to have played 100 games at Essendon,” he said.

“It has been a long road, but it has been a good journey.”

After starting on the Rookie List, Baguley quickly evolved into an integral member of the Bombers defence."

I thought he was cooked earlier this year, but he's been solid lately.

I always have a soft spot for guys who play unconditional, team footy - Bags gives everything he has, every single game. Anyone who plays for our club with the passion and guts this guy does has my respect - he's a warrior.

I love Bags for his effort and toughness. The only thing that gets me antsy is his tendency to go to ground a bit too often.

Congrats on your 100 games Bags, you've worked your ass off to achieve it!

Knock him all you like but a couple of times when there was a Mexican standoff he tore through for the ball putting himself on the line and naught said,, which is ok a lot of harder types don't... but we shouldn't underestimate his contribution

Any one else think he might be in trouble at the end of the year?

Is supposedly 'rested' (yet, he's listed as an emergency). Not that his disposal has ever been excellent, but his ball use has really dropped off over the past couple of months. He seems to be getting beaten quite regularly, and another sign of an aging player, he's going to ground more than ever.

Will be interesting to see what happens, especially if Dea strings together a couple of nice games in a row.

Is supposedly 'rested' (yet, he's listed as an emergency). Not that his disposal has ever been excellent, but his ball use has really dropped off over the past couple of months. He seems to be getting beaten quite regularly, and another sign of an aging player, he's going to ground more than ever.

Will be interesting to see what happens, especially if Dea strings together a couple of nice games in a row.

I think next year will be his last year.

I think we have enough senior guys before him that will go this year, but I don't really expect him to be in our best side next year. Plenty of signs the 2nd half of this year in particular that he's nearly done. Kicking looks ordinary, speed has decreased, and often goes to ground (either in a marking contest or ball on the deck) to try and hide his now lack of pace.

Reckon next year he might have a similar year to Stanton this year - start in the team, but ultimately only played maybe 6-7 games.

Very glad he got his 100 games. Very deserving.

Has a trigger clause in his contract and considering this is the first game he's missed it looks likely he will stay. To be honest it's only people on here that think he's finished and don't respect him.

He rarely gets beaten and we have no replacement ready.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's actually the opposite - Posted at the time that he struggled in the back end of 2015 like a few others - Was ordinary in 2016 - A shaky start this year but has been good since about round 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a trigger clause in his contract and considering this is the first game he's missed it looks likely he will stay. To be honest it's only people on here that think he's finished and don't respect him.

He rarely gets beaten and we have no replacement ready.

Haven't seen too many people on here be disrespectful in their opinions towards him...

I'm not overly fussed whether he stays or goes - though I probably would rather see someone like Redman given a chance.

To say he rarely gets beaten is a bit over the top.

Haven't seen too many people on here be disrespectful in their opinions towards him...

I'm not overly fussed whether he stays or goes - though I probably would rather see someone like Redman given a chance.

To say he rarely gets beaten is a bit over the top.

Depends how you define disrespectful or over the top I guess.

Played on Picken a couple of weeks ago and kept him to one behind after kicking six the week before and people were saying Bags was worst on ground.

That strikes me as over the top.

Depends how you define disrespectful or over the top I guess.

Played on Picken a couple of weeks ago and kept him to one behind after kicking six the week before and people were saying Bags was worst on ground.

That strikes me as over the top.

Worst on ground is over the top probably, but keep in mind, Picken has been held goalless also most as often as he's kicked a goal (went scoreless last night).

Bags also had to be moved off Webb who kicked two goals early on.

I respect your opinion on him but I think itms pretty clear he's slowed down somewhat.

Best game of the year from the former Dolphin.

25 possessions at a high DE% is what we needed across all our defenders with Hurley out. Bags was simply a vital nut in our make up.

What i personally love about his game is what he does without the ball. Another 7 one percenters is impressive.

Has certainly been ok this year. The weekends game is more evidence he is still an important part of our back 6.

Hopefully this last fortnight has given a lot of people perspective in what this old dog still has to offer. Admitedly the opposition has been mediocre (Fremantle & Gold Coast) but he has given us plenty of other good > very good games this year.

May not end 2018 as a best 22 small defender but he should certainly be near the front of the queue when booking passes are about to open.

Well done Baggers

Baguley is rated 6th in the AFL for Effective disposal efficiency. So I just can't see how he dicks around with the ball.

He is one of our best ball users back there but people want to focus on the odd brainfade which all players do.

Some people continue to remind me that DE% doesn't matter because he's a defender but then others say he is poor user of the footy. Bags can't win either way.

Bags has a meters gained average of 196.4 for the year which would be high for a small lock down defender and he's hitting the target 86% of the time. that would be in the elite category I would imagine. Couple that with the fact that he is great at cutting off the ball in the air and the countless times he puts his body on the line you can see why he is one of the first selected every week.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Baguley is rated 6th in the AFL for Effective disposal efficiency. So I just can't see how he dicks around with the ball.

He is one of our best ball users back there but people want to focus on the odd brainfade which all players do.

Some people continue to remind me that DE% doesn't matter because he's a defender but then others say he is poor user of the footy. Bags can't win either way.

Bags has a meters gained average of 196.4 for the year which would be high for a small lock down defender and he's hitting the target 86% of the time. that would be in the elite category I would imagine. Couple that with the fact that he is great at cutting off the ball in the air and the countless times he puts his body on the line you can see why he is one of the first selected every week.

Some people just want to see the world burn.
He's had a much improved second half of the year, where his first half was average.

It's easy to have a high DE as a defender, especially when you continually take a safe option. Baguley does two things when he has the ball, he either does your 45 meters down the line to cause a stoppage (which is counted as an effective disposal) or he turns around and passes it to a player in clear space. Do you ever see him be a distributor in the back half to create attacks? No, because his kicking isn't effective enough.

He's had a much improved second half of the year, where his first half was average.

It's easy to have a high DE as a defender, especially when you continually take a safe option. Baguley does two things when he has the ball, he either does your 45 meters down the line to cause a stoppage (which is counted as an effective disposal) or he turns around and passes it to a player in clear space. Do you ever see him be a distributor in the back half to create attacks? No, because his kicking isn't effective enough.
I do actually see him set up lots of attacks. That was my point.

Some people are blinded to it, hence my remark about people wanting to see the world burn.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back