AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield - Out for +/- 2 weeks with a knee - 7/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Out for at least 2 weeks with a knee New
Midfielder Will Setterfield is set to miss again after re-injuring the knee that he hurt during the round two game against Sydney.

Following a hit to the same spot during the weekend’s loss to Port Adelaide, Setterfield is likely to miss at least the next two matches.

It was a contact injury. Not sure Murphy can have any control over that. The AFL has not allowed full suit of armor to be used yet.

Midfielder Will Setterfield is set to miss again after re-injuring the knee that he hurt during the round two game against Sydney.

Following a hit to the same spot during the weekend’s loss to Port Adelaide, Setterfield is likely to miss at least the next two matches.

It was a contact injury. Not sure Murphy can have any control over that. The AFL has not allowed full suit of armor to be used yet.
we have had quite a few cases of players being brought back and re-injuring themselves in the last year. we can call it a knock i suppose. we could also consider whether his knee was vulnerable and not ready to be out there.

we have had quite a few cases of players being brought back and re-injuring themselves in the last year. we can call it a knock i suppose. we could also consider whether his knee was vulnerable and not ready to be out there.
or maybe you can call it what it was. bad luck.
soft tissue injury. well that is a different subject.

I like the guy. Good defensive midfielder when he's out there. However, in his 8th year of footy he's managed 70 senior games.

I think he's in trouble if he gets another serious injury.

It depends. If he strings some good form together for a prolonged period of time before any hypothetical injury (touch wood it doesn't happen) then I disagree.

Still only just turned 26, and having played less games means he's been delayed in hitting his prime, which is still a prospect as the talent from being a high draft pick is there. Especially considering he's still our biggest body mid as of yet, so he's got his own niche in the team that we haven't filled.

There's also the chance that his career can be prolonged further than usual having played less games if he ends up finding good form/hitting his prime. Usually players slow down by the ages we're used to them slowing down at (and especially compared to regular folks) because of the added toll that the training drills and games played have taken on the body, which plays a big part on how far they can stretch their careers (adding in of course genetics/physical resilience and competition for spots, etc).

It depends. If he strings some good form together for a prolonged period of time before any hypothetical injury (touch wood it doesn't happen) then I disagree.

Still only just turned 26, and having played less games means he's been delayed in hitting his prime, which is still a prospect as the talent from being a high draft pick is there. Especially considering he's still our biggest body mid as of yet, so he's got his own niche in the team that we haven't filled.

There's also the chance that his career can be prolonged further than usual having played less games if he ends up finding good form/hitting his prime. Usually players slow down by the ages we're used to them slowing down at (and especially compared to regular folks) because of the added toll that the training drills and games played have taken on the body, which plays a big part on how far they can stretch their careers (adding in of course genetics/physical resilience and competition for spots, etc).

It's not a form thing with Setterfield, it's fitness to actually play.

At a point his body only allowing him to play 50% of the season means other guys are going to go past him due to availability.

He's a decent midfielder who has offered something useful for our midfield mix, with Durham, Caldwell, Perkins, Hobbs and Tsatas all coming through and all being bigger and stronger bodies than the previous mix we've had, Setterfield might not offer what we need anymore enough to justify a guy who's traditionally never played much more than half seasons. If he becomes a depth player than the biggest thing we need from him is availability.

If he could do things like a Danger or Petracca or Dusty you might persist with it, he's never shown that though.

It's not a form thing with Setterfield, it's fitness to actually play.

At a point his body only allowing him to play 50% of the season means other guys are going to go past him due to availability.

He's a decent midfielder who has offered something useful for our midfield mix, with Durham, Caldwell, Perkins, Hobbs and Tsatas all coming through and all being bigger and stronger bodies than the previous mix we've had, Setterfield might not offer what we need anymore enough to justify a guy who's traditionally never played much more than half seasons. If he becomes a depth player than the biggest thing we need from him is availability.

If he could do things like a Danger or Petracca or Dusty you might persist with it, he's never shown that though.
Agree. He needs to be able to stay on the park which he has not. I like what he offers when he is fit but as you say there are young blokes coming through and Durham stepping up this year puts pressure on his spot. If he can not stay on the park he becomes another James Stewart. A good player but always injured when you need him.

The first part is the issue though. He hasn’t done that in 8 years.

Got to feel for him, would be incredibly frustrating

Still listed as 2-3 weeks :(
He will struggle to make it into best 22, when he went down I thought he was a key to the midfield and we'd struggle like last year when he got injured but it looks like duz, caldwell and perkins have really stood up and probably overtaken him as defensively minded mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knee soreness doesn’t seem like the sort of thing you want keeping you out for too long.

It sort of goes from soreness to injury at some stage.

Depends how old you are, at a certain point 'soreness' is just existing. Setterfield is 45 right?
His knees might as well be.

Agree. He needs to be able to stay on the park which he has not. I like what he offers when he is fit but as you say there are young blokes coming through and Durham stepping up this year puts pressure on his spot. If he can not stay on the park he becomes another James Stewart. A good player but always injured when you need him.
I reckon Durham's gone well past him, but we do need him available. Or at least another player with similar traits if/when, due to injuries, enough is enough.

I reckon Durham's gone well past him, but we do need him available. Or at least another player with similar traits if/when, due to injuries, enough is enough.
Think he’d actually complement Durham really well.

Can block and can also absorb contact and release by hand ……both of which allow Durham to get on the move and explode away from stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back