Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched him live Friday night and he was bloody awesome, I honestly can't believe Port are OK paying traded in duds like Watts, Rockliff, Trengove, McKenzie Toumpas, Motlop, Thomas, Barry ect and throwing Polec away, crazy Vossy at work here guys.

Polec was awesome.

He is good at what he does best, he is not without his flaws or deficiencies though, he is a bit like a budget version of Josh Kelly in that he has some of Kelly's strengths but Kelly is a vastly more complete footballer.

I think Port's biggest deficiency was their lack of mature aged depth, they spent a lot of money chasing some players and had to pay a fortune to retain Hartlett and Wingard which probably haven't had that great of a return on the investment made. I am not sure how much the mature aged recruits cost for Port to collect, but they had issues fitting even Thomas in on a realistic contract last year so it probably raised some red flags that made other players vulnerable to an aggressive offer, particularly within our club who had dealings with Thomas to Port Adelaide.

I think Port is just using footy lingo to stay positive, they can't realistically cut people already on contracts because they will count towards the TPP irrespective if they are there or not, the guys earning way more than their output nobody would want to touch on what Port are paying so they don't really have an effective strategy to counter a high offer plus premium to shift club/state so they are going to try to save face. GWS made similar overtures when they believed Kelly was moving last year but reigned in the rhetoric once they thought the lure of possible success might stave off the inevitable. Finishing outside of the top 8 hasn't given Port the same kind of hand GWS had last year.

I think he will be a great get, I would just be loathed to pay a top 10 pick in a strong draft given the calibre of players that are likely going to be available around that mark. I would rather see the club pay a future pick and retain the pick we have this year. If the club believes we are going forwards, then the pick this year is going to be far more valuable than next year's pick.

Going to have to give up something of value. I say we hold onto our first pick and move on Brown while his value is high.

Go to the draft with our first and we will be best served into the future.

So you think trading Brown for Polec is a great move? I guess the silly season has kicked off with a bang.

Going to have to give up something of value. I say we hold onto our first pick and move on Brown while his value is high.

Go to the draft with our first and we will be best served into the future.
Whaaaaat ...!! You must be Port supporter or you’ve had too much port ..

So you think trading Brown for Polec is a great move? I guess the silly season has kicked off with a bang.

No Stress according to some folk in the trade thread. They say Larkey is a gun and AFL ready. The next big thing. Frosty Miller winner with a whopping 40 goals in the VFL so should be able to take over as full forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Stress according to some folk in the trade thread. They say Larkey is a gun and AFL ready. The next big thing. Frosty Miller winner with a whopping 40 goals in the VFL so should be able to take over as full forward.

Turn down the sarcasm meter. Larkey has had two very good seasons in the VFL.

You seem angry that people rate Larkey.

Not sure how valid it is to compare this to Greenbuck$ .
Both he had Polec had breakout years, Levi was within a whisker of the Syd Barker and Polec will probably finish up there after neither had polled highly in previous years. Albeit Polec has been a regular senior player for the Puffers and Greenbuck$ was in and out of the team (frustratingly).
Anyway we got pick 25 for him which we took and blew on Nielson.

Polec's more of a blue chip player than Levi but the logic that place getters in B&Fs demand a first round pick doesn't always stack up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the contract is four years, how much do you guys reckon is fair value in $$$/year?

I know people will say, 'we have the cap space'.

I'm not talking about whether or not 'we can afford him'. I mean what is his output worth?

He’s no Dahlhaus but we could probably find a spot for him.

We saw with Hartung what a massive difference his pace and aggressiveness at attacking with the ball meant to our team. Despite how good Waite is for us IMO it was Hartung and Jacobs going out that turned our season. Brown's goals dried up not just because he was being sat on but because our ability to attack in aggressive, unpredictable ways also dried up.

Polec and Gaff are perfectly suited to us and they have the bonus that we don't need Cunnington & Higgins to play like Carey's unacknowledged love children every week to have a chance.

If the contract is four years, how much do you guys reckon is fair value in $$$/year?

I know people will say, 'we have the cap space'.

I'm not talking about whether or not 'we can afford him'. I mean what is his output worth?

I don't reckon those figures around the $600k+ mark are that far off value given his skill set and our needs. Certainly don't think it's an outrageous amount to fit a crucial need.

Do you think he’ll turn up to that - they’re a feral bunch at Port.

Yes there are some ferals but most Port supporters have accepted that the deal that North have offered cannot be matched. We expect a top 10 pick for him though. Will be even more valuable as a player with 6-6-6 next year.

Yes there are some ferals but most Port supporters have accepted that the deal that North have offered cannot be matched. We expect a top 10 pick for him though. Will be even more valuable as a player with 6-6-6 next year.
Top 10 pick for a player that multiple Port posters have told us doesn't train, has chronic navicular issues, is selfish and injury prone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back