Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Just doesn't have a big tank yet - some people have it, some need to work on it.

I dont get why everyone is talking about his tank. Surely that is past history ? The guy has been doing extra work since he arrived. he is by all reports a very motivated man and I cannot see how he fails to catch up with group. if he is not with them already, he certainly will be by the end of the preseason

I dont get why everyone is talking about his tank. Surely that is past history ? The guy has been doing extra work since he arrived. he is by all reports a very motivated man and I cannot see how he fails to catch up with group. if he is not with them already, he certainly will be by the end of the preseason

We don't know that as fact and only time will tell.

He'd want to be better than Viojo-Rainbow, though. Recall watching Dillon desperately trying to keep up with Cam Wood and Liam Jones.
Really got ourselves an athlete that year.........and we were going to make him a mid-fielder too. Amazing.

Just doesn't have a big tank yet - some people have it, some need to work on it.
Ok. How long does it generally take to build a tank though? I would have though since joining us last draft he would have worked on this and should be ok by now (nearly 12 months). Hence my question about potential injuries which may have restricted him from training.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but can't help but be incredibly impressed with Stock - stoked he's re-signed for another few years. With a strong pre-season, I have little doubt he'll play heaps of senior footy in 2020 - including some time in the midfield. Hell, he may even become that Cripps support we've been crying out for - as soon as end of next year. I said it recently: he could mirror Crippa's rise - he's that good and switched on.

Ok. How long does it generally take to build a tank though? I would have though since joining us last draft he would have worked on this and should be ok by now (nearly 12 months). Hence my question about potential injuries which may have restricted him from training.

It can take a few years - I reckon its more about pushing him to his limits - and then past those limits, proving he can do more. He has to learn to push himself harder and then being able to replicate it during games.

We don't know that as fact and only time will tell.

He'd want to be better than Viojo-Rainbow, though. Recall watching Dillon desperately trying to keep up with Cam Wood and Liam Jones.
Really got ourselves an athlete that year.........and we were going to make him a mid-fielder too. Amazing.

sure. but I am more concerned about the reports of extra work that he is doing and the way he talks. That tells me that he is going to get there- and sooner rather than later. Good sign that the club extended his contract too.

sure. but I am more concerned about the reports of extra work that he is doing and the way he talks. That tells me that he is going to get there- and sooner rather than later. Good sign that the club extended his contract too.

Don't worry about the extra work stuff as he wasn't the only one he needed to do a little more off his own accord, to get better.
It's not difficult to look over at Cripps and Docherty to know where you have to get to and if they work harder because they're older.....just look at Walsh.

He's a confident fellow is Stocker and if he does come around to being more of a leader (which I think he can), we're going to have some pretty impressive bookends at the club.

I think it takes longer than you expect. Maybe 3-5 pre-seasons by the time fitness is at its peak.

But that aside, don't forget that Stocker started behind the 8-ball and everyone else is working on their tank too.

So if the average kid starts at 8/10 fitness, after a year they might be up to 8.5/10.

If Stocker started at 5 and has made it up to 7.5 (huge progress), he's still going to be behind most others. The 2 things in his favour are 1) He's probably worked on his fitness more than the average kid 2) the early gains are generally easier.

TL;DR - I wouldn't be surprised if Stocker isn't yet 'all caught up' on fitness

It will take Stocker a little while yet to build up an AFL tank to play midfield.

I'd say at least 2 more years, really is coming from a low fitness/endurance base.

Good to see he is putting in the hard yards, can't wait till he is a full time best 22 player. Those feet are weapons, skills to die for.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It can most certainly be built over time and Liam looks certainly to have those hard working, dedicated qualities in order to achieve that. The generally accepted wisdom is that it takes most players 3-4 pre-seasons to get that continuity and residual fitness to a point where they are on par with AFL standard mids.

There is however a genetic element to things as well as a physiological make up among other things that plays a role as well. To my extremely untrained eye, Stocker looks to be a natural 'power' athlete rather than an 'endurance' one. There is a pretty good reason why almost all 100m sprinters look like Hercules and Ethiopians and Kenyans are better suited to marathons. I was for this reason, a little surprised to see Liam look so jacked this pre-season, but more than happy to trust our sports science department on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The tank thats getting built is to Elite standards. Takes yrs, a gun mid fielder is a freak of an athlete, we kinda forget how truly exceptional A grade AFL runners are, as a pure athlet, AFL mids/guy runners towel up most other professional athletes.

The tank thats getting built is to Elite standards. Takes yrs, a gun mid fielder is a freak of an athlete, we kinda forget how truly exceptional A grade AFL runners are, as a pure athlet, AFL mids/guy runners towel up most other professional athletes.
Scary to think then how professional/disciplined Walsh must be to be able to play seniors full season in his first year.

Dow is another struggling with endurance. His grand final sprint was very poor. They need to build his tank too.

It can most certainly be built over time and Liam looks certainly to have those hard working, dedicated qualities in order to achieve that. The generally accepted wisdom is that it takes most players 3-4 pre-seasons to get that continuity and residual fitness to a point where they are on par with AFL standard mids.

There is however a genetic element to things as well as a physiological make up among other things that plays a role as well. To my extremely untrained eye, Stocker looks to be a natural 'power' athlete rather than an 'endurance' one. There is a pretty good reason why almost all 100m sprinters look like Hercules and Ethiopians and Kenyans are better suited to marathons. I was for this reason, a little surprised to see Liam look so jacked this pre-season, but more than happy to trust our sports science department on this.
A fair comparison to your body size/physiological make up effecting things would be Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfields careers. I'm not suggesting they're similar players as Stocker, merely a fitness comparison, but both entered the league with very questionable fitness tanks but were obviously power athletes. Neither of them really took off until early/mid 20s (22-24 sort of range) once they had several pre-seasons of fitness behind them. They played forward with a steadying increase in mid time as they went. I don't know if Stocker has the forward nous of those 2, hence why we tried him in the half back line, so the philosophy might be the same.

Dow is another struggling with endurance. His grand final sprint was very poor. They need to build his tank too.

How many times did Fevola win the GF sprint?

Appreciate he needs to work on endurance, but please, the GF sprint doesn’t mean a thing.

How many times did Fevola win the GF sprint?

Appreciate he needs to work on endurance, but please, the GF sprint doesn’t mean a thing.
I wouldn’t say that. It gives the perception to everyone watching that he is unfit. If you’re not going to give it a red hot go then don’t participate.

Ed: Dow is no fev and never will be anywhere near his standard.

I wouldn’t say that. It gives the perception to everyone watching that he is unfit. If you’re not going to give it a red hot go then don’t participate.

Who cares about perception?

The sprint is treated as a bit of fun by all. Ultimately it is completely meaningless.

Ed: Dow is no fev and never will be anywhere near his standard.

Strange thing comparing fitness to raw leg speed which is what a sprint race is about.

How would Ed Curnow go in the Grand final sprint? Is he unfit?

Strange thing comparing fitness to raw leg speed which is what a sprint race is about.

How would Ed Curnow go in the Grand final sprint? Is he unfit?
They're not completely disconnected from eachother. You can lose gas on a 100m sprint easily and slow down well before finishing. It's not like a 40 yard dash where it's literally just run up to full speed then you're done, a 100m sprint you need to get up to full speed then maintain it for another 50-60 metres which is not easy to do, and is something Dow clearly struggled with.

Yeah I don't know wha that was about.
Surely Cuningham, SPS, Fish, etc would have him covered? Maybe too valuable to jeopardise on something irrelevant.

Maybe it was about putting him in that position to show him just how much work he had to do.

You'd expect him to be behind Richards, Hind and probably Answerth. Had no idea who Tarca was, but a quick search shows he's a small forward, so fair enough he's quicker than Dow as well.

Getting done by King, Balta, Brayshaw and Frost, though...

Dow was pitted against a spread of mids, smalls and talls, and got shown up by all of them. There's getting outrun by an opponent in a game, and then there's getting outrun by everyone in a race in front of 95k live spectators plus a few hundred thousand more on TV.

Who cares about perception?

The sprint is treated as a bit of fun by all. Ultimately it is completely meaningless.
Of course perception is important. Maybe not to the same degree as some other situations but in that race you are wearing a jumper (brand) with sponsors names on them and you come last and treat it as a bit of fun. What would the stakeholders be thinking? Teague, ARussell, sponsors etc.

Dow has got to get more serious. He cant keep stop chasing players in games. His kicking etc is not that good either so he needs to get his head down and at least get his fitness/endurance/body conditioning/etc up to scratch.

Of course perception is important. Maybe not to the same degree as some other situations but in that race you are wearing a jumper (brand) with sponsors names on them and you come last and treat it as a bit of fun. What would the stakeholders be thinking? Teague, ARussell, sponsors etc.

They literally would not care.

In fact it wouldn't surprise in the slightest should most of our sponsors not even know he was out there.

Because it's completely meaningless.