AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Big Lebowski Goodnight Sweet Prince GIF

Ralph isn't tooooo bad. On a scale from Gerard Whateley to Zero Hanger, he's probably about a 6.

Actually, rating/ranking journalists might make a half decent off-season thread 🤔
He's horrific. Genuinely mind blowingly bad.

He tends to report what he knows rather than what he thinks, and generally in good English. I can think of plenty who are worse.
Maybe it's the oh so punchable head and the arrogance that drips off of him.

This statement shows how much he watches Essendon games:

In fairness, he took Allen in the second half vs WCE after he towelled up Zerk earlier this year.
Same with Larkey.
Ralph isn't tooooo bad. On a scale from Gerard Whateley to Zero Hanger, he's probably about a 6.

Actually, rating/ranking journalists might make a half decent off-season thread 🤔
Just for clarity, which end of the scale is which?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had to pull his kick, change his natural technique

It wasnt just a loop in the park normal kick
Also, no contact or body contorted into an awkward position or awkward landing. Pulling a kick (if we accept that's what he did) would happen many times during a game, and is far from something you would expect to cause an injury - ergo something that is pretty harmless. I think maybe the issue might be your interpretation of the word innocuous...

Also, no contact or body contorted into an awkward position or awkward landing. Pulling a kick (if we accept that's what he did) would happen many times during a game, and is far from something you would expect to cause an injury - ergo something that is pretty harmless. I think maybe the issue might be your interpretation of the word innocuous...
Could've already had a knock/tiny tear and thought it was a bruise or a corkie or something else minimal/relatively routine and played through it, only for it to give way. Perhaps at the same time as the hyper-extension the week before, or earlier in the same game he did the quad.

Could've already had a knock/tiny tear and thought it was a bruise or a corkie or something else minimal/relatively routine and played through it, only for it to give way. Perhaps at the same time as the hyper-extension the week before, or earlier in the same game he did the quad.
I had wondered the same thing myself, if there might have been a flow on from the knee hyperextension in the previous week. Other posters have suggested a role in knee's and/or backs having an effect on the quads. Watching the kick, there really didn't look like much to it, so I agree, likely to be something else at play.

I had wondered the same thing myself, if there might have been a flow on from the knee hyperextension in the previous week. Other posters have suggested a role in knee's and/or backs having an effect on the quads. Watching the kick, there really didn't look like much to it, so I agree, likely to be something else at play.
It's logical that an injury or uneven conditioning (either post-injury or just in general) would mess things up. It is all connected, after all. I suspect even just practicing kicking only on one foot over a period of time would cause uneven strength in various muscles and on different sides of the body, and place strain in places that aren't equipped to handle that load.

Doesn't mean it's directly related though, it could just as easily be a separate injury. Plenty of people do quads without doing knees first, and knees without ever doing a quad. But by the same token, it's quite common for a strengthening program to include quads after a knee injury to reduce the load going through those tendons and prevent re-injury...

Seen a few comments about moving Ridley away from the role he is playing.

Can we not be happy with what he does so exceptionally well ? If he continues on the trajectory he has been on the last 24 months, he could very well end up a multiple All Australian such is the quality I see in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back