AFL Autopsy Praccy: Geelong win by a couple and Ridley cops a quad - 01/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, so was Cox moved to half back to cover Ridley?
hard to tell but looked like he was on the wing. In second half we lost structure and it was hard to tell because we were mostly out of position and chasing opposition, started missing targets and bombing without plan. Looked more like last week.

Our back half is so important

We looked great when martin, redman, mcgrath, reid etc was moving the ball from the back half

As soon as we shuffled it around and laverde etc was there our kicking was s**t

We can't play laverde/heppell/kelly in the back half ever again

Awful display from our forward line otherwise mostly fine with what I saw through the other two thirds.
Not fussed by the result. We ran out of legs because we ran our rotation to the interchange cap of 75. Geelong chose to go to 90.
Perkins definitely shouldn't be selected for Round 1

Expected 22 for Round 1

FB: McGrath McKay Reid
HB: Martin Ridley* Redman
C: Duursma Parish Durham
HF: Gresham Jones Caldwell
FF: Guelfi Wright Langford
Foll: Goldstein Merrett Setterfield
IC: Hind Menzie Cox Tsatas (Caddy)

* Laverde if injured

Last edited:

A lot to like about today's game, great speed with our handballing game and midfielders breaking free... When we are on, the ball moves so quickly. I think with Rids out, we will notice the hole that BZY has left with our depth in the backline, but Reids outing today gives me hope. As others have mentioned, Tsatas kicking action is really starting to stand out. I wonder if they will let him embrace it ala Melo Ball in the NBA or or get him to try and improve it at the sacrafice of his consistency. Forward line still needs time, 2MP is still unconvincing from his return from injury last year imo and guelfi needs to impact the scoreboard more. Love what gresham offers as , feels like its been forever seeing a player in the red and black turn and kick a goal without needing heaps of time.

Geelong used 30 extra interchanges so getting run over in the last quarter makes sense
Duursma a bit of a panic merchant under pressure
Perkins and Caldwell unsighted if they are not in the middle of a massive training load would play Hobbs ahead of either of them
Hind showed some good signs as a pressure forward

He was walking around and laughing. Reckon he is fine.
Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

I think that was Laverde's worst game since moving to defence
He's dead average. As I've said many times, Baldwin is way better, just needs to stay fit. Lav can stick to Twitch.

Loved Reidy. I actually thought Duursma looked okay. Gresham is our best small forward already. I don’t know that there’s a more damaging player by foot in the league than Merrett. Martin’s all class and even did some okay things defensively. I thought Cox started horrendously but got better as the game went on.

The bad: Laverde was awful. Have always liked his endeavour, but he shouldn’t be in the ones. Perkins is another one I’ve stood up for in the past, but he’s in year 4 now - not a kid anymore, he needs to show more. Caldwell - out of the side for mine. He is so, so lazy, I’d much prefer Hobbs. Tsatas seemed like he found a bit of it, but that kick is an enormous worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Reidy. I actually thought Duursma looked okay. Gresham is our best small forward already. I don’t know that there’s a more damaging player by foot in the league than Merrett. Martin’s all class and even did some okay things defensively. I thought Cox started horrendously but got better as the game went on.

The bad: Laverde was awful. Have always liked his endeavour, but he shouldn’t be in the ones. Perkins is another one I’ve stood up for in the past, but he’s in year 4 now - not a kid anymore, he needs to show more. Caldwell - out of the side for mine. He is so, so lazy, I’d much prefer Hobbs. Tsatas seemed like he found a bit of it, but that kick is an enormous worry.
Caldwell lazy? WTF?

That's uncharacteristic. I wonder if there's a niggle there.

Very possibly - praying Perkins had the same niggle, as he was possibly worse. I thought those two stuck out like sore thumbs.

Parish on the other hand seems to have really worked on that part of his game

Geelong used 30 extra interchanges so getting run over in the last quarter makes sense
Duursma a bit of a panic merchant under pressure
Perkins and Caldwell unsighted if they are not in the middle of a massive training load would play Hobbs ahead of either of them
Hind showed some good signs as a pressure forward

Guelfi is quite clearly the man in Hobbs danger

Was better today but not great. Maybe 6/10.
We actually held some marks forward of the footy.
Forward pressure was better until maybe half way through the third quarter.
Still do a lot of dumb s**t and our forwards are not switched on enough and allow opposition half backs to find space and overlap.
There was one situation in the last quarter , around 12 minute mark I think where we have 5 on 3 around the contest and Hind ran to the contest rather than to the Geelong player who was 15 meter off the contest. No prizes for guessing were the footy went.
Some of our handball was a bit rugged as well including some wild stuff out the back of the pack to no one. Only forward stuff for wild handball please.
Defenders could also maybe play on the forwards a bit tighter.
Second half skills not great.
McGrath was pretty good but did get caught out defending no one a few times.
Parish good.
Langford good until he went off.
Tsatas did a couple if nice things but is a work in progress.
Caldwell. Fair.
Merrett good.
Gresham. Good first half.
Setterfield good.
Cox okay. Had some issues with Cameron but he does look less confused in defense. Took a couple of hits and bounced back up.
Ridley. :mad:
Laverde. Hmmm.
Perkins. Needs to do more.
Goldy. Good.
Hind okay.
Wright. Average.
Durham. pretty good.
Jones. Took some marks this week but has to stop the coming in from the side one handed s**t where he does not make contact with the ball. Pressure was okay.
Bryan. Tap work okay. Not a factor around the ground.
Stringer. Fair.
Redman good.
Duursma would have rated a good but turned a few over.
Ried good.
McKay soild.
Guelfi. Fair. Stupid banana kick at goal from that range.
Martin good. Two goals and a couple of assists. From half back.
Menzie average.

We where lucky they missed a few in the third quarter. Probably should have been a 4 or so goal loss.

Obviously managed some of our players - Redman, Wright, Langford etc. Such a shame with Ridley.

Fox footy said that Essendon hope it’s on the minor end but it’s not looking good.

Interesting the Merrett was moved to the HB position in that last quarter. Probably more experiments with our structures etc.

Did like seeing Merrett, Gresham and Stringer having a really spirited discussion at the end of the game too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back