AFL Autopsy Praccy Match v. St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you please go down to Tulla, grab the nearest looking official person by the lapels and tell them this.
Sometimes coaches just want to reinvent the wheel when all they need is KISS.

Do you have any feel on Caddy as a genuine marking target?
Attacks the footy hard and seems to be a good mark. At least he actually gets hands to it and makes a contest. Problem is he is 2 years away from being a consistent threat if he makes it so it is a slow burn we are in for. Hell I would even just throw Cox forward. At least he runs at the footy when he plays there.

Attacks the footy hard and seems to be a good mark. At least he actually gets hands to it and makes a contest. Problem is he is 2 years away from being a consistent threat if he makes it so it is a slow burn we are in for. Hell I would even just throw Cox forward. At least he runs at the footy when he plays there.
TBH, Cox looks 3 years off it. He just runs in circles with weak attacks on the footy. You can only survive on potential for so long.

Starting right where they left off. Last 3 results: 126 vs GWS, 70 vs Collingwood and now 66 vs St Kilda.

Preseason or not, I will never take them seriously until they stop losing like that.

So we're slowly improving?

Anyone who thought c grade players was going to improve us had rocks in there heads. We shiouyld likely finish 12 - 18th imho

lack forward power outside 2 guys (Wright & Stringer), we lack size in the midfield despite the "depth" we now have, our back line is made of broken players in hope they come good.

We have very few players I would trust. trust to perform, trust to sacrifice for the team, trust to beat there opponent in a big final.

Going to be a hard slog unless we have some real big development from a large number of the younger cohort on the list

Anyone who thought c grade players was going to improve us had rocks in there heads. We shiouyld likely finish 12 - 18th imho

lack forward power outside 2 guys (Wright & Stringer), we lack size in the midfield despite the "depth" we now have, our back line is made of broken players in hope they come good.

We have very few players I would trust. trust to perform, trust to sacrifice for the team, trust to beat there opponent in a big final.

Going to be a hard slog unless we have some real big development from a large number of the younger cohort on the list

I had us 8-14 and still have us there if we stay healthy.

Need to clear out a bunch more players next offseason and use the cap space again to attract some good talent in.

I had us 8-14 and still have us there if we stay healthy.

Need to clear out a bunch more players next offseason and use the cap space again to attract some good talent in.
We had cap space and instead of getting in 1 - 2 top liners we went for c graders. I do not see how we improve on last season. We had a torrid time with injuries but even then, I don't see us taking a giant step to not just make finals but win a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weideman is done in my books. Just doesn’t provide anything, shouldn’t be anywhere near the side this year.

If you told me at the start of last year that of the "golden trio", the only one I was confident about becoming an elite AFL player was Zach Reid, well...hell I'd probably have believed you. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Only one praccy match but I'm not convinced about Durham on the inside. We sacrifice a lot of his point of difference (gut running to position, good overhead mark, decent disposal) so he can get beat up in congestion. Also not sure about Martin down back for much the same reasons. Stringer as usual has moments of dominance and then looks cooked for the balance of the match. I candidly don't see how he can be in our best 22. Maybe a super-sub is the role for him.

Yep, put Gawn in our side and we would look completely different.
Gawn would not make us better as much as you'd think. Goldy was dominating the centre, clearances were not the problem. Everything else was.

Sometimes coaches just want to reinvent the wheel when all they need is KISS.
Gene Simmons Flirt GIF by TrueReal

Just watched the replay - not ideal but really not too concerned - what did people expect in a match sim game against a full strength Saints side in Moorabbin…?? Our coach wasn’t even there FFS…!!

Positives for me were;-

• Its a match sim game and a great opportunity to try out players in different positions etc - and we did that…!! its a kind of like weeding the garden where we see players like Cox, Weid and even Jones will likely play more reserves than seniors in 2024
  • All our recruits looked decent - Duursma in particular looks to have been an astute trade
  • We were without senior players in 2MP, Draper, Shiel, Ridley, Hobbs & Kelly - all will come in over coming weeks and significantly strengthen our 23
  • No injuries from the game - always a bonus this time of year…!!
No panic stations for me - get a few of the above players back against the Cats next week and hopefully we can put in a much better performance

Whinge whinge ******* whinge. It was a ******* practice match.
If after 3 rounds we're playing the same I will volunteer to be Presidant of ' The *emallclub '.
Lol results were reaaaaaally different in the real season were they?

That argument works for the reigning premiers or a team that doesn't get smashed.
Yesterday they showed what they are capable of. It was the Geelong, Collingwood, GWS, Fremantle and Bulldogs games all over again.

The start of the year looks like this:

1. Hawthorn
2. Sydney in Sydney
3. St Kilda
4. Port in Adelaide
5. Bulldogs
6. Adelaide in Adelaide
7. Collingwood
8. West Coast in Perth
9. GWS

Legit Hawthorn is the only game better than a 50-50. Of the rest, only West Coast are 50-50 unless Harley Reid makes them drastically improve. Also 4 interstate trips in 8 rounds.

With that start, this isn't the preseason to be underprepared for a practice game.

We had cap space and instead of getting in 1 - 2 top liners we went for c graders. I do not see how we improve on last season. We had a torrid time with injuries but even then, I don't see us taking a giant step to not just make finals but win a final.
You can only recruit from the players who are available. I have no doubt we made some discrete inquiries of some very good players but if they don't want to sign up we have to make do.

I think the players we did recruit will help to a certain extent but depth and role players who struggled to get games at their former clubs are no substitute for top shelf talent.

Our fundamental issues still remain. We lack contested marking ability around the ground (probably a consequence of having an undersized frontline midfield group).

He looks very comfortable in the last qtr playing in the backline. We’ve just wasted 2-3 years persisting with this wing crap
TBH, I didn't see much of the last quarter.

As others have said, he should get a good run in the backline in the VFL whilst Baldwin is injured. Hopefully nowhere near the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back