Review Prac-Match: St Kilda vs Essendon, RSEA Park, Friday 03/03/2023 @ 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

images

It was quite glaring wasn't it. Parish looked like he couldn't be bothered, all be it I think was being tagged by Bytel. Shiel on the other hand was just very dissapointing, especially when going inside 50. Hoping Hobbs and Tsatas can develop quickly .

Really liked what I saw from Setterfield today.

On SM-G780G using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think both were tagged at times

Hope the players are ready for the coach they wanted and hope Scott is going to give them a bit of a clip .

There is going to be crap like this as we go along . The penalty for these types of games will be what is telling.
Still think we can win 9 games but that still leaves 14 losses of various types .
There’s going to be lots of bumps along the way, just have to accept that. What we shouldn’t accept is some players, who play in important roles just not deciding to have a crack.

I honestly can't fathom that we have kept Dodoro in the big shake-up.

We have a midfield that really doesn't compliment each other and I don't think it is reasonable to blame the coaching.
I look to the state of the tall timber at the back and shake my head in despair. A good 3 or 4 seasons are done because there was a lack of foresight for sustainability.

Fair old home ground advantage playing in a suburban wind tunnel that one team trains at but the Saints were also inaccurate and dobbing it oof regularly.

Both sides stink

The wind was a major factor and it won't be in the regular season as we won't be playing at suburban pits like that when it gets real.
Kicking 3.14 to 10.7 also makes it look way worse. St Kilda looked better but not 5 goals better.
Major concern is contested possession differential. Parish and Shiel need to pull their fingers out.

On the bright side, Davey has to play round 1, and Weideman has grossly outplayed Jones in the two practice matches so you would think he is OK as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't gotten involved in much of the discussions about prospects and best 22s because there is a real futility about it.

You want to build a side around irrelevant possession accumulators like Parish and Merrett and you're basically stuck playing reactive footy. It's 60 of your midfield possessions a week which comprise a large volume of rushed, panicked handballs and 1-2 handballs receives off half back made to look good by clean breaks out of the middle.

Throw in Shiel who is much the same.

I can't think of 1 other team that has anything like this as its centre point.

Last edited:
We need to start prioritising competitiveness and physicality at selection. I’d be playing Voss and Hobbs, maybe Snelling too.

Tippa isn’t ready.

Will Scott have the balls to drop Parish?

Setterfield is a mortal lock for round 1 selection.

Alwyn jnr is very good, should play round 1.

Hopefully his manager is shopping him in free agency. I’ll take 2 top 6 picks in this years draft over giving him a 5-6 year contract on big money. Hobbs wouldnt turn his toes up like pretty boy darcy.
We arent getting first round compensation for him at this rate.

Brad Crouch at 650k per year only got Band 2 compo. If Parish plays the season like he has the two practice matches he won't garner offers much more than that.

Then the question is pick 19 or whatever it is (end of first round) enough to let him go without forcing a trade. For the sake of midfield balance maybe but it is a strange call. Hopefully he plays well enough this year it isn't an issue and we either keep him or get quality payment for him.

We arent getting first round compensation for him at this rate.

Brad Crouch at 650k per year only got Band 2 compo. If Parish plays the season like he has the two practice matches he won't garner offers much more than that.

Then the question is pick 19 or whatever it is (end of first round) enough to let him go without forcing a trade. For the sake of midfield balance maybe but it is a strange call. Hopefully he plays well enough this year it isn't an issue and we either keep him or get quality payment for him.
I think he at least has enough self interest to play as well as he can to maximise his next contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back