AFL Autopsy Praccy: Geelong win by a couple and Ridley cops a quad - 01/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Good hit out, not physical but high aerobic intensity, lots of up and back.

Also, big tick to whoever thought it was a good idea to play a twilight fixture during daylight savings at that backwater tip.

Could barely see 25% of the game, and the players clearly couldn’t see a thing either.

General thoughts in no particular order

Reid is looking very good. Smart footballer usually in the right spot. Him + Mckay did a good job. They even defended space and caught out flat footed attackers a few times.

Cox worked himself into the game well got looked off at HB a few times towards the end where he was making the right run and used the ball well. If that gets rewarded

Redman and McGrath with the ball makes me anxious.

Martin to Merrett to HF is a very impressive attacking chain.

Merrett is completely wasted as a HB because as a mid he usually plays HB and HF at the same time

Guelfi played okay and will probably get 4 games at the start of the season to get past the 100 mark but not really at the level required

Wright was using the ball like Jake Kelly. But despite that looked really good coming further up the ground. Think he should play higher. Around the Arc where he used to be able to slot it.

Thought Jones looked better as a wing then a forward. Competed, held space. Moves well and has great reach.

Kicked onto heads and to flat footed players rather then using leading kicks.

Parish was immense

Not sure what to take away from the game as both teams might be equally average this year.

Good hit out, not physical but high aerobic intensity, lots of up and back.

Also, big tick to whoever thought it was a good idea to play a twilight fixture during daylight savings at that backwater tip.

Could barely see 25% of the game, and the players clearly couldn’t see a thing either.
I think they are all in bed at 8 down Geelong!

Very strange was so early for a Friday night. s**t time.

I didn't see it live for that reason but watched on Kayo as if live!

Good workrate, but lacked class.
Lost count how many times we turned it over or kicked to their advantage.

Watched the presser with Gia, few interesting comments

• they were disappointed last week. Viewed it as a very poor performance.
  • they were asked if we ran out of gas at the end of the game, Gia said it was more a case of being cautious and resting players and taking the opportunity to try out different things structure/role wise.
  • did concede that perhaps that adjusted the mid mix too much in the last.
  • said Ridley had a tight quad. They asked if they took him off the ground as a precaution. Gia “no, he is a bit sore. Hopefully it’s not too bad”.
  • was happy with Draper’s half at the VFL game.
  • was happy with Wright’s performance in the ruck.
  • a lot of players close to being available from the rehab group. Did say that they wouldn’t be taking chances with Caddy.
  • they were very happy with the backline and the run off HB.

Ridley**

I love how we dropped some experience players after a deplorable effort/loss. On notice. Laverde, Heppell, Kelly

Im a bit over the Durham onball experiment, its given him confidence. But Hobbs, Shiel, Stringer, Setters, Caldwell are the guys and developing Perkins

Mcgrath - Mckay - Laverde (Cox)
Redman - Reid - N.Martin

Draper - Zerrett - Setterfield (Hobbs)
Duursma - Parish - Durham (Shiel)

Caldwell - H.Jones - Gresham (Hind)
Stringer - 2MP - Langford

Sub: Goldstein

Thats what im picking round 1

Bryan, Hately, Tsatas, Perkins and Oneill onball VFL

Some good signs especially Reid and Martin.

I didn’t watch much of the last qtr but didn’t think Tsatas’ kicking was as bad first three quarters.

Some negatives for me ..Duursma’s kicking ..needs to stay away from backline.

Obviously Ridley injury ..huge blow if he’s out for a while.

Guelfi banana..if he’s that lacking in confidence fix it up in VFL.

Hind’s bald head

bombreys i dont often agree with much but have noticed this a few times now, hes as bad as culprit as we have

Hes a different player when tagging and thats a change in mindset
Interesting. I'll have to watch more closely. I hope it's not having a sulk about starting forward. He'll have his turn but yhat kind of attitude's not goingbto help his case.

I read somewhere that Cats mostly played their young second string on-ballers, which is partly why Max Holmes got so much of it, but also explains why we dominated clearances and stoppages (Goldy notwithstanding). That this is the case and we were only up by ten or so at the last change... not sure what to make of that.

Thought we played through the middle a lot more, Martin back will help this. Liked the ball coming out of the backline with the short pinpoint kicks instead of the long dump kicks down the line where we cant mark. Don't think Lav got the memo though.

Second half we fell apart a bit but I think Cats can go up a couple more gears than us. Guelfi needs to nail those close shots, 2 weeks in a row missed sitters. Think it will be his last year if he doesn't take chances.

Come round 1 I think Durham goes completely wing with Dursma. Would like to see Cox in Rids role.

Got a few players on limited prep, do we risk against the Hawks? The following games are very tough. Draper got through a half in VFL not sure it is worth risking him?

Anyway, much better than Saints still some big issues esp fwd line talls outside Langers. Hopefully 2MP ramps up from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read somewhere that Cats mostly played their young second string on-ballers, which is partly why Max Holmes got so much of it, but also explains why we dominated clearances and stoppages (Goldy notwithstanding). That this is the case and we were only up by ten or so at the last change... not sure what to make of that.

Thats just the reality of Geelong's midfield now, Smiths gone, Dangerfield old and isn't a 80% midfield minutes type anymore, Gutherie out injured. They still ran the Atkins tag. Bruhn, Bowes, Holmes, Clarke are going to be their midfield for most of this year.

Danger played through the middle. Holmes got 80% of his possessions from half back .
Best thing is if you have not seen it then do not make anything of it .
We dominated the midfield last week.
Our issues are what comes next .

Not a lot to like. Ridley injury hurts. We still look poor converting inside 50s. Geelong weren't even at half pace and still easily pulled away from us in the last.

Still not sure what others are looking at with Cox.. he looked outmatched most of the time and still a skinny rake. Jones didn't really impact.. Reid looks like he could finally be ready to start. Perkins looks like it.. but then just fails to deliver so often. Duursma pretty much looking like the meh player we expected.. still hopeful gresham can step up. Goldy did what Goldy does and that bodes well as a tandem and backup to Drapes.

Parish and Merrett were outstanding.. we just need a few more to join them. Plenty of likely candidates in Durham, Martin, Caldwell, Hobbs, Shiel but so far no one has really jumped up and claimed that third midfield role as their own.

McKay looked ok and for once Hawkins didn't rip us a new one.. so that was nice. HB looks a lot better without Hepp the turnover merchant. Still think we lack a really classy 'designated kicker' back there. I know they threw Merrett down there in the last but he isn't the answer. Need the 'Daicos Role' filled ASAP.

All up I think we looked pretty sloppy, still plenty of holes in the list and I saw nothing to indicate we are close to taking a step forward. Hoping I'm absolutely wrong but looks like more of the same this season in my mind.

Ridley**

I love how we dropped some experience players after a deplorable effort/loss. On notice. Laverde, Heppell, Kelly

Im a bit over the Durham onball experiment, its given him confidence. But Hobbs, Shiel, Stringer, Setters, Caldwell are the guys and developing Perkins

Mcgrath - Mckay - Laverde (Cox)
Redman - Reid - N.Martin

Draper - Zerrett - Setterfield (Hobbs)
Duursma - Parish - Durham (Shiel)

Caldwell - H.Jones - Gresham (Hind)
Stringer - 2MP - Langford

Sub: Goldstein

Thats what im picking round 1

Bryan, Hately, Tsatas, Perkins and Oneill onball VFL
You’re picking shiel r1 after no match play this pre season?
He needs 2-3 weeks in the vfl

Not a lot to like. Ridley injury hurts. We still look poor converting inside 50s. Geelong weren't even at half pace and still easily pulled away from us in the last.

Still not sure what others are looking at with Cox.. he looked outmatched most of the time and still a skinny rake. Jones didn't really impact.. Reid looks like he could finally be ready to start. Perkins looks like it.. but then just fails to deliver so often. Duursma pretty much looking like the meh player we expected.. still hopeful gresham can step up. Goldy did what Goldy does and that bodes well as a tandem and backup to Drapes.

Parish and Merrett were outstanding.. we just need a few more to join them. Plenty of likely candidates in Durham, Martin, Caldwell, Hobbs, Shiel but so far no one has really jumped up and claimed that third midfield role as their own.

McKay looked ok and for once Hawkins didn't rip us a new one.. so that was nice. HB looks a lot better without Hepp the turnover merchant. Still think we lack a really classy 'designated kicker' back there. I know they threw Merrett down there in the last but he isn't the answer. Need the 'Daicos Role' filled ASAP.

All up I think we looked pretty sloppy, still plenty of holes in the list and I saw nothing to indicate we are close to taking a step forward. Hoping I'm absolutely wrong but looks like more of the same this season in my mind.
For me Martin = Daicos role.

Just being able to compete with Hawkins and co is a step forward already.

Yeah, structure fell apart a bit in the second half but there were some positional changes and plenty of players resting, notwitstanding Cats had a few more gears and still not going close to full tilt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back