Review Prac-Match: St Kilda vs Essendon, RSEA Park, Friday 03/03/2023 @ 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked like we were all over them in the 1st quarter but couldn't convert in windy conditions
After that was very sloppy, fumbling a lot which invites pressure
Hard to read too much into a practice game but if we serve up that intensity around the footy round 1 we will get spanked

Sounds like we have a lot to improve on.

Still……
Andy Samberg GIF

We arent getting first round compensation for him at this rate.

Brad Crouch at 650k per year only got Band 2 compo. If Parish plays the season like he has the two practice matches he won't garner offers much more than that.

Then the question is pick 19 or whatever it is (end of first round) enough to let him go without forcing a trade. For the sake of midfield balance maybe but it is a strange call. Hopefully he plays well enough this year it isn't an issue and we either keep him or get quality payment for him.

It's called a possession dump.

You dump junk possession with the aim of replacing it with functional possession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weideman presented well and did a couple of nice things. Davey and Setterfield were good.
Tippa, Snelling and Jones were all pretty average and are no certainties to hold their spots for round 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Serious question....did Snelling play?

Didn’t hear his name called once in the three and a bit quarters I watched. Assumed he was out.

Serious question....did Snelling play?

Didn’t hear his name called once in the three and a bit quarters I watched. Assumed he was out.
Only the last quarter I think.

Forget our Latin motto Suaviter in Modo, Fortiter... I say we bring in the US postal motto , unfortunately it's reversed in the antipodes like the toilet swirl..

'Either wind or rain or heat or gloom of night, or injuries, matchups, shorter rests, bad draws, umpires yeh umpires too...will clearly excuse players the swift completion of their appointed rounds.'

Not many positives out of the game. Setterfield looked good, Davey looked very good, particularly in the first half. No injuries outside of Caldwell. Ridley looked dominant down back. That is pretty much where the positives end.

Parish looked disinterested. Shiel is just not the player we want him to be.. fumbles, bad decisions and woeful skills. Merrett is an accumulated and I expect him to be cherry ripe for Rd 1 but he didn't have much impact last night.

Wright worked his way into the game in the last but positioning was a continual issue and goal kicking was bad. Wind played a factor but we just didn't adjust at all.

Love Tippa and great to see him back.. but I don't think he is ready for Rd 1. Lacks fitness and pace.

Best 22 still has far too many holes to be considered ready for anything other than bottom 4/possibly sneak enough wins to be 12-14th. Again disappointing to see Cox and Reid injured and Jones not doing a lot. Our young spine that promised so much but look like they are still not ready to deliver for one reason or another.

I'm probably a little concerned that other teams seem to be able to radically change over a preseason with a new coach.. like Saints looked different to last year.. whereas we seemed to be very very similar to last year. Lots of junk handballs to noone, dump kicks around the corner to no one, lack of cohesion through the middle, lack of contest ball, inaccurate goal kicking. In fact it could have been last year.. or the 10 years before that. Just feels all very much the same.

Weideman presented well and did a couple of nice things. Davey and Setterfield were good.
Tippa, Snelling and Jones were all pretty average and are no certainties to hold their spots for round 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Snelling didn’t come on until the last quarter afaik, so that’s a bit harsh.

Snelling didn’t come on until the last quarter afaik, so that’s a bit harsh.
I actually thought Snelling looked okay (seemed to hunting the opposition players withe the ball).

I actually thought Snelling looked okay (seemed to hunting the opposition players withe the ball).
Yeah I’d pick him, he’s showed a bit more intent than some of our other players imo.

I'm not putting a lot of store in yesterday's performance, or even this year's to be honest. Scott has said he's keen to get a good look at the players and the list before making any kinds of bigger changes. To me that sounds like he's got the blessing of the board to flush players out. I reckon he uses his first season to develop young players and put together his proscriptions list.

We need to start prioritising competitiveness and physicality at selection. I’d be playing Voss and Hobbs, maybe Snelling too.

Tippa isn’t ready.

Will Scott have the balls to drop Parish?

Setterfield is a mortal lock for round 1 selection.

Alwyn jnr is very good, should play round 1.

Physicality? The more things change, the more they stay the same. It's funny because Parish, Merrett and Shiel have been the first choice midfield for all match sim and now the practice matches.

Where does the physicality start? Where was the change going to come from.

I find yesterday's game quite disturbing because all the substance looks the same to me, except that we now have small forwards. Posters are correct when they say the result is not relevant, because it isn't. What can be relevant is the way we lose. The insipid performance is reminiscent of 2019. The physicality in the middle comes from 1 mid. We cant stop the transition into our defence.

I have what may be a morbid fascination with Hawthorn this year so I've watched both of their games. The players are not running on top of the ground, even the quick players look a step off. That tells me they've maintained training loads which, I understand, are usually starting to taper this late in the piece.

Against Geelong it was a tired looking young side, with lost of experimental centre square set ups getting blown away. But it didn't look wrong. That then converted to a very solid performance against a much more hardened Pies.

I don't know what that means for their fortunes this year but we should get ready to be shredded in round 1.

I can't say I'm happy with Scott. This group begs for a firm hand and yet everything looks the same. There are other little things like playing Tippa who looks like he's well into the second trimester.

There is no apparent hard edge in anything I can see.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back