Review Prac-Match: St Kilda vs Essendon, RSEA Park, Friday 03/03/2023 @ 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't say I'm happy with Scott. This group begs for a firm hand and yet everything looks the same. There are other little things like playing Tippa who looks like he's well into the second trimester.

There is no apparent hard edge in anything I can see.
We play them in round 3. He’s not going to show too much tactically in a practice game.

We play them in round 3. He’s not going to show too much tactically in a practice game.

What about the players? What's they're excuse, they're going to jump their opponent?

You can ignore the pre seasons results from hardened pros because they can flick a switch.

Teams like Essendon can't miss opportunities to develop habits they don't have. Why does Esssendon seem to be the only team that when it re-starts doesn't start with the contest?

The only real explanation is my old theory about your senior players. They don't change and clubs all seem to assume they are elite. If they're not your screwed. And we've spent how long pretending the likes of Heppell, Merrett and Parish are elite. We are actively engaged in it because we give these guys the leeway enjoyed by actually dominant players.

It disturbs me that Scott seems oblivious to this reality. It's one of the many reasons I rate Mitchell, he clearly understands this which is why they tried to move JOM and and T Mitchell out 2 years in a row.

Physicality? The more things change, the more they stay the same. It's funny because Parish, Merrett and Shiel have been the first choice midfield for all match sim and now the practice matches.

Where does the physicality start? Where was the change going to come from.

I find yesterday's game quite disturbing because all the substance looks the same to me, except that we now have small forwards. Posters are correct when they say the result is not relevant, because it isn't. What can be relevant is the way we lose. The insipid performance is reminiscent of 2019. The physicality in the middle comes from 1 mid. We cant stop the transition into our defence.

I have what may be a morbid fascination with Hawthorn this year so I've watched both of their games. The players are not running on top of the ground, even the quick players look a step off. That tells me they've maintained training loads which, I understand, are usually starting to taper this late in the piece.

Against Geelong it was a tired looking young side, with lost of experimental centre square set ups getting blown away. But it didn't look wrong. That then converted to a very solid performance against a much more hardened Pies.

I don't know what that means for their fortunes this year but we should get ready to be shredded in round 1.

I can't say I'm happy with Scott. This group begs for a firm hand and yet everything looks the same. There are other little things like playing Tippa who looks like he's well into the second trimester.

There is no apparent hard edge in anything I can see.
In fairness to Scott, who exactly is meant to replace those 3 in the middle? I don’t know the exact CBA numbers but I’d say Setterfield attended more than at least one of them, which has been a positive. Perkins has started to get minutes in there, and his craft seems to need a little bit of work. I would’ve liked to have seen Caldwell in there more, but he ended up getting hurt anyway. Hobbs is injured. Who else do we even have? Martin has got a few here and there, but I’d rather him on a wing/up forward. Tsatas is hurt and sounds more like a wing at this stage. We’ve moved on from trying McGrath and Langford in there.

I don’t really think there is a simple answer.

In fairness to Scott, who exactly is meant to replace those 3 in the middle? I don’t know the exact CBA numbers but I’d say Setterfield attended more than at least one of them, which has been a positive. Perkins has started to get minutes in there, and his craft seems to need a little bit of work. I would’ve liked to have seen Caldwell in there more, but he ended up getting hurt anyway. Hobbs is injured. Who else do we even have? Martin has got a few here and there, but I’d rather him on a wing/up forward. Tsatas is hurt and sounds more like a wing at this stage. We’ve moved on from trying McGrath and Langford in there.

I don’t really think there is a simple answer.

He has many ways he could set standards.

He didn't have to sway opinion to Tsatas because the game trends indicate the game is opening up.

Voss could be a battering ram, he couldn't look any more lost in the middle than Perkins.

Playing Setterfield in the first midfield rotation. Don't pander to the elite duds.

Promote Caldwell as run with and make him number 4 in the rotation.

Instead of Martin being the winger for more clean breaks, throw Durham in there because he will bite and scratch and scrag.

Scott was signed prior to the trade period. He had plenty of opportunity to add some grunt and he didn't take it. Why? It's exactly because he is experienced but he's inadequate so he wants a honeymoon of 12 months to 'look at the list'. What a wank. How does it look different, McGrath and Cox in defence? How does that help problem number 1?

Look what Clarkson does at North he loads up with some players to make an impact. At least he has the guts to take it on.

I am more interested in what happens in round four or five if the same issues keep coming up.
Have not seen yesterday but by all reports it was poor so I am not going to say nothing to see here .

Scott was never going to come in and start dropping Parish or Shiel for round 1 or even change up a lot despite some obvious things that need change.
He has looked at putting players in positions. Now it becomes time to sort what is what as the season moves on.

He didn't have to sway opinion to Tsatas because the game trends indicate the game is opening up.

Voss could be a battering ram, he couldn't look any more lost in the middle than Perkins.

Playing Setterfield in the first midfield rotation. Don't pander to the elite duds.

Instead of Martin being the winger for more clean breaks, throw Durham in there because he will bite and scratch and scrag.

Scott was signed prior to the trade period. He had plenty of opportunity to add some grunt and he didn't take it. Why? It's exactly because he is experienced but he's inadequate so he wants a honeymoon of 12 months to 'look at the list'. What a wank. How does it look different, McGrath and Cox in defence? How does that help problem number 1?

Look what Clarkson does at North he loads up with some players to make an impact. At least he has the guts to take it on.
Clarkson has a list at North that already had the broom taken to it . There was not much mid range junk on it so he was able to ad a couple of veterans.

The board sided with those players and got rid of the last two coaches. If the new coach tries to get rid of the players, how long do you reckon his tenure would last?

I agree with with what your saying but I’m ok to reserve judgement on Scott for about the first 2-3 rounds.

I understand the idea of coming in and needing to assess things for yourself before forming an opinion or taking a stance on experienced, highly regarded players.

I am worried about the performance however - as you say, we are not a group that can flick a switch. As things stand, there is no reason to expect anything good in round 1.

I'm probably a little concerned that other teams seem to be able to radically change over a preseason with a new coach.. like Saints looked different to last year.. whereas we seemed to be very very similar to last year. Lots of junk handballs to noone, dump kicks around the corner to no one, lack of cohesion through the middle, lack of contest ball, inaccurate goal kicking. In fact it could have been last year.. or the 10 years before that. Just feels all very much the same.
And just like that, it's round 1 again before we know it
clock-alarm-clock.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're scaring me.
[paraphrased] “we believe this list is capable of more than this but we need a more experienced coach”

enter a coach that focuses on existing players’ strengths and builds a plan around them, instead of forcing them to play roles in a predetermined system

And if you remember previously when they had the big “ask everyone’s opinion” in 2020 and the players were asking for system and higher expectations of them, which gave us Truck instead of Worsfold.

We know that there is a core group of players who are well connected with coteries, Dodoro and the board. Those players aren’t going to get thrown out, coz Dodoro won’t throw them out, and if there was any risk of that happening or those players complaining, the coterie groups that give them work experience in whatever industries would be all in on another board spill.

[paraphrased] “we believe this list is capable of more than this but we need a more experienced coach”

enter a coach that focuses on existing players’ strengths and builds a plan around them, instead of forcing them to play roles in a predetermined system

And if you remember previously when they had the big “ask everyone’s opinion” in 2020 and the players were asking for system and higher expectations of them, which gave us Truck instead of Worsfold.

We know that there is a core group of players who are well connected with coteries, Dodoro and the board. Those players aren’t going to get thrown out, coz Dodoro won’t throw them out, and if there was any risk of that happening or those players complaining, the coterie groups that give them work experience in whatever industries would be all in on another board spill.
Didn't realise it went as far as connections between players and coteries.

This is going to feel disgusting to say, but it almost makes me want the Hawks to climb up quickly so they can see how justified Mitchell is in having moved JOM and TMitchell. Then again, they moved Buddy and we haven't seen the sense in that either.

Didn't realise it went as far as connections between players and coteries.

This is going to feel disgusting to say, but it almost makes me want the Hawks to climb up quickly so they can see how justified Mitchell is in having moved JOM and TMitchell. Then again, they moved Buddy and we haven't seen the sense in that either.
Not to overegg the pudding, but some players have contact with some businesspeople who happen to also be coterie members, because the player does a day a week working with them or whatever.

The player benefits in developing their post-footy career, the club benefits because they can use it as an incentive to sign players with the club. But the businessman/coterie member is getting something out of it too in terms of access and tidbits and warm fuzzies helping out their beloved footy club.

Board members also have their own access to players, and some players have more contact with them than others too. Board members are supporters like the rest of us, they wanna know how things are going and have inner sanctum access and tidbits, and they are also responsible for any problems.

Now if a player is unhappy and the board is hearing things from them, and another player is whinging to someone who then shares that with his mates at a coterie function that Sheedy happens to be attending, and the coteries happen to have pull with another board member that also happens to work with a few of them at <firm>…

Meanwhile the team plays like s**t on field and as nuffy supporters they wanna raze the joint to the ground. But unlike ordinary nuffies, they have the means to exert influence…

Like it’s not a conspiracy, it’s just an incestuous old club where everyone knows everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back