AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still struggling to understand how we have managed to limit how game time to 10 games in his first 3 years.

Not many clubs dont play their best talents.

We can play him out of position then claim he's out of form and not select him in the backline, where he's been good.

He was unlucky last years as he got injured when he was going okay in the seniors. This year he got dropped after Geelong and never got back in because Redman, Francis (after a few forward games) and later Gleeson came in and held down those spots.
They tried him on the wing in the VFL for a while hoping he could adjust because he uses the ball well but has returned to half back recently. We simply have a bigger number of defenders going well.

Redman defensive wing
Ridley mainstay back (Hope his confidence isn't destroyed already)
McKenna wing. He is the one in the back half that is not a great one on one defender.

Have we over rated this guy on the back of one AFL game? I like what he could become but has never been able to put it all together at either AFL or VFL level since his mid second year.
Don’t think he disgraced himself in any of the 9 games he has played at AFL level. He is still a developing player aswell who we don’t want to settle in one position.

my only worry is that he becomes the player he is meant to be at another club as I think he is AFL level quality.

Have we over rated this guy on the back of one AFL game? I like what he could become but has never been able to put it all together at either AFL or VFL level since his mid second year.

The thing that has impressed me with Ridley is that he looks comfortable with a realiable kick that always seems to hit a target.

Don’t think he disgraced himself in any of the 9 games he has played at AFL level. He is still a developing player aswell who we don’t want to settle in one position.

my only worry is that he becomes the player he is meant to be at another club as I think he is AFL level quality.
The thing that has impressed me with Ridley is that he looks comfortable with a realiable kick that always seems to hit a target.

He has the ability to play AFL, don't think we see it nearly enough as what we should have, even at the lower level. He should be too good for VFL but the games (and I've seen the majority) he doesn't dominate nearly as much as he should. Frusterating as hell right now

He has the ability to play AFL, don't think we see it nearly enough as what we should have, even at the lower level. He should be too good for VFL but the games (and I've seen the majority) he doesn't dominate nearly as much as he should. Frusterating as hell right now
I don’t think Ridley is one to dominate but a player that fits well in the side and plays his role. Although it is better he gets the ball more often since he is such a classy and creative kick of the footy he also has great hands overhead and reads the play well and feel he ain’t getting more games at AFL level mostly for his body size for the position he will play as he can be outbodied and he doesn’t quite defend well enough yet.

He most likely starts the year in the VFL and I would like to see him doing one of two things, either completely shutting down a player or playing the Hurley role and getting 25+ touches a week and intercepting like hell because those are the roles he will be picked for at AFL level.

If not that it might not be to late to try and play him as a pure forward but would need to show of his endurance to be able to play a lead up role like Brown did.

I assume that you mean his debut.

Did anyone think he was overrated when he was basically BOG in NAB1, NAB2 and R1? Not necessarily anything to crow about but he was at least a kid playing with some intensity and composure while his experienced team mates embarrass themselves.

If I would sum up the attitude of this place to his dumping after round 1, it would be indignation. Best single source would be C4L's video following the round 2 loss.

He was kept out of the side for reasons of team balance, to try to re-deploy him on the middle or on a wing. We did that for a grand total of maybe 5 quarters. He ended up playing as a KPD in reserve on account of injuries.

It's interesting. In Gleeson's 5th year, 2017, he was so bad that even the most ardent supports (of which I was and am 1) had conceded that he needed to be dropped. It will be interesting to see the extent to which there is a reconstruction of this point.

In Gleeson's 4th year, 2016 when we were genuinely short on talent, he was also dropped for rounds 7 and 8.

They're a similar style of player and clearly competing for 1 spot in the side. I'd say that Ridley's career trajectory has been better than Gleeson's. Already composed with the ball, able to hit targets off both feet while under pressure. He can also engage the physical side of the game at a higher standard.

In short Gleeson improved from a lower base and I have no reason to think Ridley, just finished his 3rd year, won't better Gleeson's improvement and end up a better player. Having said that, we have a flair for wasting talent so anything is possible...

It's another one of those selection decisions where posters will cling to 1 bad game, maybe even 2, as a justification for failure to play one of our best talents because the alternative (and reality) is largely too painful to acknowledge.

Can't remember where eth-dog and I were having the discussion but now it's:

Ridley - 2
-v-
Gleeson - 0

Unnecessary trolling aside, basically every facet of his game was on display against the Cats. Strong over the ball, strong in the air, as good as anyone on the ground by foot.

Get on Ridley to be the EFC player everyone is talking about in 6 weeks time.

Can't remember where eth-dog and I were having the discussion but now it's:

Ridley - 2
-v-
Gleeson - 0

Unnecessary trolling aside, basically every facet of his game was on display against the Cats. Strong over the ball, strong in the air, as good as anyone on the ground by foot.

Get on Ridley to be the EFC player everyone is talking about in 6 weeks time.
Both can coexist, why the need to say 2-0? And lol, Gleeson still played a very good game.

Both can coexist, why the need to say 2-0? And lol, Gleeson still played a very good game.

I'm trying to work out when he officially goes past Gleeson.

"Very good" is pretty generous.

I don't see how they can co-exist when Ridley played reserves while Gleeson played seniors.

The 7 defenders last year were Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose, Gleeson, Redman, Saad and McKenna.

I'm trying to work out when he officially goes past Gleeson.
When he consistently plays that way in a non pre-season game.

Gleeson is still better defensively is the big one right now

If we are indeed intent on playing McKenna forward, this guy may just have played himself into the round 1 team
If we are still playing McKenna down back, I take him over Gleeson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back