Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of Liam Anthony about him

4 year contract? * me.

Put me in charge of list management, this sort of s**t needs to stop! NOW!

yeah, honestly I felt bad for you blokes when i saw that. Swans got screwed first by wasting pick 5 on him, but to offload him for a first round to North felt like a get out of jail free. you didn't have to give him 4 years though.

yeah, honestly I felt bad for you blokes when i saw that. Swans got screwed first by wasting pick 5 on him, but to offload him for a first round to North felt like a get out of jail free. you didn't have to give him 4 years though.
It wasn’t a first round pick in value though, so don’t feel too bad. Pick 25 came back our way.
Pick 25 then went to Carlton with pick 21 for pick 17 and Fisher.
Not that those numbers mean much, our much debated ‘end of first round’ pick actually ended up at pick 29! With father son, academy and WC concessions this year, and maybe a free agency, the pick you got will end up in a similar place.

ITT people misunderstanding what the role of a good winger is in a structure

The reason we can dick around through the corridor is because of old mate holding his width

He plays the wing role to a tee. Great runner, abides by structures.

My knock on him is that he's soft.

Certainly showed more in the pre-season, perhaps when players weren't going in hard. On a small sample size, I'm thinking everyone's favourite whipping boy Curtis Taylor adds more value.

Holds width, fairly neat with the ball and runs all day. He is the second best winger on our list… will play 20+ games this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly showed more in the pre-season, perhaps when players weren't going in hard. On a small sample size, I'm thinking everyone's favourite whipping boy Curtis Taylor adds more value.
Curtis Taylor won't be on our list at the end of the year, he offers absolutely nothing.

That post is straight out of the Corns playbook
You gave us picked 25 in return for Stephens and we gave an end of first round so from memory around a 4/5 place upgrade.

I think to be a great winger, you HAVE to be soft.
Not sure that you have to be soft (I don't think of McCluggage as particularly soft?), but much to the chagrin of fans, hardness is surely very far down the list of KPIs for a modern day winger.

Would have thought the critical KPIs are:
  • being faster than anyone else by foot
  • being able to read the play faster than anyone else
  • being able to maintain very disciplined positioning throughout close to an entire game
  • being able to use the ball well
  • having elite endurance so you don't add to rotation numbers

In offence, you're providing a leading option moving up the ground, and when the opposition tries to nullify your threat, it creates opportunity for your teammates up the corridor. In defensive transitions, you see wingers playing a pseudo-sweeper role during midfield stoppages, but then as soon as you've blocked the opposition from exiting the back of the stoppage, you're off trying to outrun everyone again.

If you can do all those things well, then unless there are specific requirements to fulfill your gameplan, it seems like everything else kinda secondary?

The reason we can dick around through the corridor is because of old mate holding his width
Animated GIF

Offers nothing. Would rather Lazz be getting a game. Good thing he's got such a great tank, spends all his time running away from contests.

Yeah he's a cat. Ultra cat. Can't defend him today. Although we are playing on a ground without wings so maybe he shouldn't have been picked. It's staggering that you can get this far into a career and not understand that it's a physical game and you might get hit every so often

Remove this Banner Ad

Back