16 a side

Remove this Banner Ad

Highly likely we'd see additional fatigue creep in towards the end of matches. Considering the already strenuous physical demands on players today, I doubt you could run this idea by them without some considerable resistance.

For all the hand-wringing about congestion, it's been less of an issue this season now that a number sides have shifted their focus away from defensive footy. The possibility also remains that with fatigue creeping in, traditional run & carry football becomes more difficult, meaning coaches resort to keepings off and rolling mauls to conserve energy amongst their players. That would ultimately render the change self-defeating.

Not against trialling it during NAB Cup games or at state level, but I expect some on here will be disappointed. People yearning for the era when matches regularly saw 40+ goals kicked between both teams need to take the blinkers off - footy is 10x more watchable today and a far more professional product because coaches, players etc. have enabled it to evolve naturally. Those whinging about congestion, Roos, Lyon etc. are becoming quite tiresome and exhibit a lack of appreciation for the dynamics and complexity of the game.

Grew up watching footy. There was 18 a side and 2 on bench.
Already seen 16 a side in the VFA and never bothered me in slightest.
What I hate is 4 players on bench and being played like 22 a side and keep most fresh 18 on field at any point.
It has been worst change to our game in all the time I have watched. It has gone backwards in terms of watching due to rotation system of 22 v 22.
I want it back to a more pure 18 on 18.
Changing to 16 a side is just another knee jerk idea based on over congestion of field due to the rotation system brought into the game when we used 22 each. Just get rid of 2 of the bench players, not 2 on field and it will improve as a game to watch in no time.

We should get rid of the 50 metre penalty too. 30 metres is more suitable.
Going from 15 metres to 50 metres was overdoing the penalty. Too many charitable goals from technical 50 metre penalties happen.
Get rid of 22 on each side and get rid of 50 metre penalty so mistakes of past acknowledged and removed.

Last edited:
Rubbish idea. The standard of footy has probably slipped in the past 5-10 years, and we've got some pretty ordinary looking seasons and finals series as a result, but congestion isn't the problem.

You're not going to remove congestion regardless unless you take away even more players. Teams are incredibly well drilled these days in covering space, hence why we see so many stoppages. It's also a factor in the death of the key forward.

Just another stupid idea from an AFL that absolutely loves a knee jerk reaction and wanting to change things despite absolutely no fans wanting it.

The days of the free flowing shootouts are pretty much gone. You've got tons of coaches analysing the way their team and the opposition set up, then you've got players who play a completely different style of footy to days gone by, so it isn't coming back. It just can't in the current environment. Same with the big key forward who you rely upon to win you a flag. They were made irrelevant as soon as teams started covering the space more, forcing teams to play a far more team orientated brand of football to move the ball around the ground.

Probably been mentioned already but 16 a side would save AFL clubs 36 pay packets. 36 x $300,000 = $10.8mil. Then we go to 15 minute quarters so they work less for the same money... The AFL are just a sporting version of a packet of potato chips.

You know, if you actually wanted to remove "congestion" then you simply put a 5 meter zone around each ball up.. you know like they did in the centre all those years ago. Bam, no more congestion and probably a 5th repeat ball ups.

Thank you, ill take my cut of AFL earnings through bank deposit please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember how 16 a side worked.

Basically it pulled the wings off the ground and the theory behind it is that creates more direct play and allows the centre half forwards to lead more freely into the space created.

And it did deliver attacking footy. The scoring in VFA footy in the 1980s used to see huge scores being kicked.

Why cant we play on a rectangular field?

The AFL are looking into that too.

It's to be called AFLX..played on a soccer field, using AFL standard goals and 7 a side. They hope to take it around the World as AFL T20 style of game. Might even actually work in taking the game overseas, given the prevalence of rectangular sporting fields world wide.

Less congestion means more space for KPP to operate in. I reckon it would help them if anything. I mean, the last decade hasn't exactly been a golden era for key forwards.
Not saying I'm in favour of changing, but am curious to see a trial or two.
Unless they still push the numbers up to the ball and we are left with even more empty forward lines and even more slow chippy chippy play to try and work the ball forward

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I remember how 16 a side worked.

Basically it pulled the wings off the ground and the theory behind it is that creates more direct play and allows the centre half forwards to lead more freely into the space created.

And it did deliver attacking footy. The scoring in VFA footy in the 1980s used to see huge scores being kicked.

Yep, that's how it should work. It would also see the return of the 100 goal kicker and the power forward.

Make it a 6 player bench and limit rotations and the game would become a great spectacle.

This forum is full of doomsayers who most probably have never seen a 16 a field game which makes their comments baseless, ignorant, misguided, ill-informed, and basically stupid. However, they would be better advised putting their efforts into slamming AFL X.

If you were designing the game from scratch today you'd probably go 15-16

I personally agree ....it's basic sports logic ...less players in a certain area means less congestion

It won't ever get changed ...but they will try it a nab cup game for sure....nothing to lose

Yep, that's how it should work. It would also see the return of the 100 goal kicker and the power forward.

Make it a 6 player bench and limit rotations and the game would become a great spectacle.

This forum is full of doomsayers who most probably have never seen a 16 a field game which makes their comments baseless, ignorant, misguided, ill-informed, and basically stupid. However, they would be better advised putting their efforts into slamming AFL X.

It's like a generation of footy fans have no idea at times.

actually think it's worth trialling.
Less congestion, trim the fat from teams, and more one on one duels - as long as they keep the limit on rotations.
footy players are much, much fitter and cover much more ground than when the 18 rule came in. can't make the grounds bigger, so make the teams smaller.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back