Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

The 'Haters' Woul

d have bombarded this thread if Dan had a bad or even an average game to stick the knives in at every opportunity but fail to at least acknowledge that after an extremely testing week to come out and play a good game.
Good quarter really

The 'Haters' Woul

d have bombarded this thread if Dan had a bad or even an average game to stick the knives in at every opportunity but fail to at least acknowledge that after an extremely testing week to come out and play a good game.
The Gun, i think you are just yelling into the ether here as no one really disagree;s with you in that he works hard when he doesn't have the ball in hand. Ive made the same remarks about Georgie in his defence while others want him dropped for when his kicking goes astray etc. At worst, he is doing the team things which in a system based gameplan, is incredibly important.

The point most are making though is we also need these guys to do more than just that. We still need our forwards to be forwards - get the ball, lay tackles, take marks and most importantly kick goals.

Rioli was a first round pick - while Georgie & Aarts were rookie listed players. Rioli has so much more talent and potential than those 2 fella's\ - he has a skillset which should offer much more. After 6 years i would have thought we would have seen some growth in his game - i dont think we have though, if anything he has maybe gone backwards ever so slightly. His performances are no better than Aarts & Georgie - who are less hearlded, were picked nearly 100 spots after him in the draft & definitely have a lot less talent.

Despite the plethora of moaning and fighting we have here between us all, we all have agreed that our forward line has been totally dysfunctional.

Lynch, Riewoldt, Rioli, Aarts, Castagna are the 5 most regular forwards we have. All 5 of them have copped their s**t this year, from us all, over a lack of form and impact - Rioli wasn't singled out anymore than any other IMO, but i guess when u get into a fight that leads to another player breaking his wrist - he did put more pressure on himself this week to perform. All 5 have copped their fair share of s**t. Only 1 put more pressure on himself because he got in a fight at the club this week, coming after our worst loss in a longtime, to our most hated and fierce opponent - a grand final rematch, no less.

Until the last quarter, he had 1, maybe 2 kicks, 1 or 2 tackles, 1 mark - and was goalless. Considering he is the 3rd most talented & experienced players in our forward-line - we need to get more from him. I don't think he is really being singled out anymore than any other forward we have ... but we can't have an underperforming forward line without under-performing players in it. They have all copped their fair share of flack over it.

I personally thought Dan was the 4th worst of the 5 i mentioned, Jack being last. Jack has a *-ton more runs of the board for me - and considering Dan had a week from hell, my expectations on him to do more was higher

Last edited:

Not seen the game so no comment from me. When the player himself says he was pretty ordinary offensively in an after match interview then ya gotta take him at his word. Good on him for his honesty.

Only been watching the games we lose?
Unlike a few around here you come out and be honest about seeing the game and you still cop s**t.

For what its worth as it seems any criticism of players gets you on your high horse. like every other game i will get around to watching it and then and only then will i comment on it.

Going by reports it seems he was pretty ordinary for three quarters again. That should keep you on that horse you ride so well.

Unlike a few around here you come out and be honest about seeing the game and you still cop sh*t.

For what its worth as it seems any criticism of players gets you on your high horse. like every other game i will get around to watching it and then and only then will i comment on it.

Going by reports it seems he was pretty ordinary for three quarters again. That should keep you on that horse you ride so well.

Incorrect on all counts there.

Like I've said many times, I'm all for criticism of our players/coaches/admin when warranted. You just somehow seem to ONLY pop up chirping when there's an opportunity to say something negative about our players/coaches/admin.

This "I tell it how it is" mantra of yours would suggest (if we are being honest here), that you may have had some positive comments to post about our players/coaches/admin over the last 4-5 seasons.

Only been watching the games we lose?

The personal attacks around here really need to stop fella's - just accept each others views

Some will see the glass half full, others will see it half empty. We are all here though taking the time to speak about the club so we all clearly care and want to see us do well. This is getting pointless

The personal attacks around here really need to stop fella's - just accept each others views

Some will see the glass half full, others will see it half empty. We are all here though taking the time to speak about the club so we all clearly care and want to see us do well. This is getting pointless

Personal attacks? You have got to be kidding me :$

Personal attacks? You have got to be kidding me :$

If you are writing a post thats "all you do is blah blah blah - you are a troll, yada yada yada " - then it's just personally attacking him. Just stick to talking footy & it doesn't go that way. So he only post here when he has something negative to say - so what? does it really matter? It's good to have a balance of opinions here - breaks it up from just being an echo chamber either way :)

If you are writing a post thats "all you do is blah blah blah - you are a troll, yada yada yada " - then it's just personally attacking him. Just stick to talking footy & it doesn't go that way. So he only post here when he has something negative to say - so what? does it really matter? It's good to have a balance of opinions here - breaks it up from just being an echo chamber either way :)

You've really missed the mark, big time.

Never called him a troll, and nor did I say he shouldn't be posting negative/critical comments about RFC.

I queried as to why his posts were mainly (close to, if not all) of the negative and critical variety. This from a poster who claims to "call it as it is". Hence why I find it curious (given that we have been the benchmark footy club for 5 years now) that he rarely, if ever posts anything positive about the RFC.

Holster that firearm, RJK....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gun, i think you are just yelling into the ether here as no one really disagree;s with you in that he works hard when he doesn't have the ball in hand. Ive made the same remarks about Georgie in his defence while others want him dropped for when his kicking goes astray etc. At worst, he is doing the team things which in a system based gameplan, is incredibly important.

The point most are making though is we also need these guys to do more than just that. We still need our forwards to be forwards - get the ball, lay tackles, take marks and most importantly kick goals.

Rioli was a first round pick - while Georgie & Aarts were rookie listed players. Rioli has so much more talent and potential than those 2 fella's\ - he has a skillset which should offer much more. After 6 years i would have thought we would have seen some growth in his game - i dont think we have though, if anything he has maybe gone backwards ever so slightly. His performances are no better than Aarts & Georgie - who are less hearlded, were picked nearly 100 spots after him in the draft & definitely have a lot less talent.

Despite the plethora of moaning and fighting we have here between us all, we all have agreed that our forward line has been totally dysfunctional.

Lynch, Riewoldt, Rioli, Aarts, Castagna are the 5 most regular forwards we have. All 5 of them have copped their sh*t this year, from us all, over a lack of form and impact - Rioli wasn't singled out anymore than any other IMO, but i guess when u get into a fight that leads to another player breaking his wrist - he did put more pressure on himself this week to perform. All 5 have copped their fair share of sh*t. Only 1 put more pressure on himself because he got in a fight at the club this week, coming after our worst loss in a longtime, to our most hated and fierce opponent - a grand final rematch, no less.

Until the last quarter, he had 1, maybe 2 kicks, 1 or 2 tackles, 1 mark - and was goalless. Considering he is the 3rd most talented & experienced players in our forward-line - we need to get more from him. I don't think he is really being singled out anymore than any other forward we have ... but we can't have an underperforming forward line without under-performing players in it. They have all copped their fair share of flack over it.

I personally thought Dan was the 4th worst of the 5 i mentioned, Jack being last. Jack has a fu**-ton more runs of the board for me - and considering Dan had a week from hell, my expectations on him to do more was higher
Holly f, no one liked your post except for me....you nailed it solid.
it’s ok because stacky is waiting and a few others....once the players shift around....baker forwards, Bolton forwards then the pressure for spots is really going to hurt.

rioli does not have his head in the game and misses many opportunities during play.....apart from that last quarter he didn’t do much. So to me he is not a match winner, because had we had better output from him we wouldn’t have been in that position.
same goes for George and lynch.

Unlike a few around here you come out and be honest about seeing the game and you still cop sh*t.

Dont bother because you wont see the things he does on the TV screen , Majority of his work is running and chasing when the ball is not near him to stop the opposition from creating.

Go to a game to see what he does on the ground then comment on it. I would have watched atleast 40 of his games live since he was drafted and his role in the team is not the free wheeling small foward like a Papley / Betts

Dont bother because you wont see the things he does on the TV screen , Majority of his work is running and chasing when the ball is not near him to stop the opposition from creating.

Go to a game to see what he does on the ground then comment on it. I would have watched atleast 40 of his games live since he was drafted and his role in the team is not the free wheeling small foward like a Papley / Betts

Well the fact the opposition are 'creating' as you put it - and often - suggests he's nowhere near doing his job.
His running and chasing must have been very effective against the likes of Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney and likely for most of the GWS game.

Well the fact the opposition are 'creating' as you put it - and often - suggests he's nowhere near doing his job.
His running and chasing must have been very effective against the likes of Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney and likely for most of the GWS game.
Hint: Have a look at repeat entries
what causes them ? Turnovers in our half
What causes turnovers ? Pressure
Who applies pressure ? Not Lunch or Jack . Its Castagna , Rioli , Aarts , Baker(when plays foward of centre)

Watching the game live at the ground you really do have an appreciation for what these guys do and we have the best coach in the league who knows exactly what these boys bring.

But watching on TV i agree it looks like they do s**t and are hopeless but very different perception watching at the ground

He recorded 12 pressure acts against the Giants. So contrary to those saying he did his job, the stats suggest otherwise.

I need to watch the replay but on what I saw he was awful and that includes the last quarter minus the gift from the footy gods with two incredibly lucky bounces, one which he scored the match winner and the other where he did a piss weak 5 metre kick to Ralph-smith.

He recorded 12 pressure acts against the Giants. So contrary to those saying he did his job, the stats suggest otherwise.

I need to watch the replay but on what I saw he was awful and that includes the last quarter minus the gift from the footy gods with two incredibly lucky bounces, one which he scored the match winner and the other where he did a piss weak 5 metre kick to Ralph-smith.
You must hate Dusty with all the help he gets from the gods then

I like Rioli and I see both sides of the argument.
I must admit I don’t get to many live games these days so it would be unfair of me to comment on his off the ball stuff.
What does annoy me though is how often he loses 1 v 1 contests, particularly aerial contests, compared to pretty much every other player on our list.
Played a great game on the weekend though I thought

You've really missed the mark, big time.

Never called him a troll, and nor did I say he shouldn't be posting negative/critical comments about RFC.

I queried as to why his posts were mainly (close to, if not all) of the negative and critical variety. This from a poster who claims to "call it as it is". Hence why I find it curious (given that we have been the benchmark footy club for 5 years now) that he rarely, if ever posts anything positive about the RFC.

Holster that firearm, RJK....

I don' think any good comes from you assuming someones intention for posting here - just post about the footy stuff. When people choose to post here is when they choose to post here, there is no rule that "you must post a balanced opinion on a regular basis". Some people don't post for a year but decide to come back when a certain topic floats their boat to discuss. They only join the convo when they are invested enough to be bothered - personally i prefer that than people who just parrot on a daily basis. People don't have to live here to have a voice is basically all i am saying - just let them be.

Will leave it there so it doesn't become another T**ty for tatty

You must hate Dusty with all the help he gets from the gods then

I stopped and rewwatched a lot of Dustys plays on the weekend. I still don't get how he does it - he can look like he is moving in slow motion and the ball will bounce through 5 players all in a seemingly better position, just pluck the ball & kick a goal or goal assist. Guy is a marvel, the best i've seen

I don' think any good comes from you assuming someones intention for posting here - just post about the footy stuff. When people choose to post here is when they choose to post here, there is no rule that "you must post a balanced opinion". Some people don't post for a year but decide to come back when a certain topic floats their boat to discuss. They only join the convo when they are invested enough to be bothered - personally i prefer that than people who just parrot on a daily basis. People don't have to live here to have a voice is basically all i am saying - just let them be.

Will leave it there so it doesn't become another T**ty for tatty

Woweee I just can't help myself....

I made a query about his posting. It wasn't an attack...nor was I telling him how to post. Now that that's done and dusted :$...

Was really happy for Rioli to kick the winner on Saturday night. I've been to most of our games in Melbourne this year, and I too believe his defensive pressure this year has been rock solid (for the majority of games). My only issue is, I feel he's too talented for that to ONLY be his contribution for the side. We've seen what he can do (circa 2017), and at his best, is a fantastic player.

I'm sure his injury in the 2017 GF set him back, but feel there's got to be more to it - most likely a combination of injury and external stuff going on in his life. Either way, I feel better when he's playing, because even if he has a poor game, he's got the ability to have that game changing moment of brilliance that someone like Aarts probably lacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back