Strategy Tasmanian team tipped to enter in 2027 and how that effects Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
"Tasmania is all but set to claim a spot in the AFL, with all signs pointing to adding a 19th team to the competition by 2027.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and the Federal Government are set to announce the funding to help build the stadium that will be at Macquarie Point, which appears to be the final hurdle in front of the bid.

The AFL commission and 18-club presidents will formalise the deal soon."

-In 2009 we finished second last and our first pick was pick 6 (Reece Conca)
-2010 we finished second last again and our first pick was pick 15 (Brandon Ellis)
They were compromised drafts because the expansion teams came in. Any other year we would've got pick 2 twice and probably would have gotten pick 4? also, for being back-to-back losers.

Future drafts:
2023- No 1st Rounder
2024- Whatever we get
2025- Tassie will probably get early access to 17 year olds
2026- Compromised draft as Tassie get the Lion's share of early draft picks.

We don't start nailing our 1st rounders in 2024/ 2025 we could be in the wilderness as a mediocre team for a long time. Dow is in his 4th year and uncontracted, with 15 players ineligible on top of playing like crap at the bottom of the ladder, if he can't force his way into the team NOW, it's not looking good for him, especially when our list is back closer to full strength. He's looking odds on to be potentially delisted without so much as another club offering pick 80 for him. FA is gonna be more critical than ever and club needs to take a long term approach targeting your Tom Greens' Noah Anderson's and Freo's Darcy. Also got to weigh up which players have currency and can't really afford to keep like McIntosh and Broad.

Can look at every draft pick/ trade we've made in the last 40 years. WARNING: Some are painful to see.

Great Analasys we were the club most affected when the plastic clubs came in , iirc other clubs ie carltoon and the shemons were handed priority picks back then, I would have hoped that with a new ceo in place it may be fairer , but I saw a picture of him, Gilligan and Shocking deep in conversation so I don’t hold much hope, we have mortgaged our future with the two Gws boys and we’re are balls deep into himmleberg, so that may be the core of the side in the future, the scats will get a leg up as usual

The plan with Tassie is to load the team up with picks, with rules put in place that X amount of them have to be traded for established players. Could actually work quite well for teams rebuilding at this time, as they'll get overs for older blokes.

Not as well as being bottom of the ladder and getting the customary pick 1. Will actually work well for the teams at the top of the ladder as they'll trade quality fringe players for decent picks. In 3 years all of our Champions will be gone and we'll have very little in player's with actual currency. No two ways about it Tassie's inclusion will hit us harder than any other team. In 14 years our 2 lowest picks have been 6 (Conca) and 9 (Vlastuin). We need some bonafide superstars that the experts basically tell you are a top 1-5 player cos our 1st rounder track record is sh!t. How good are MRJ, Banks, Gibcus, Sonsie, Brown, Clarke, Ryan, Miller, Ross, Graham going to be when the team needs them to do the actual heavy lifting?

Not as well as being bottom of the ladder and getting the customary pick 1. Will actually work well for the teams at the top of the ladder as they'll trade quality fringe players for decent picks. In 3 years all of our Champions will be gone and we'll have very little in player's with actual currency. No two ways about it Tassie's inclusion will hit us harder than any other team. In 14 years our 2 lowest picks have been 6 (Conca) and 9 (Vlastuin). We need some bonafide superstars that the experts basically tell you are a top 1-5 player cos our 1st rounder track record is sh!t. How good are MRJ, Banks, Gibcus, Sonsie, Brown, Clarke, Ryan, Miller, Ross, Graham going to be when the team needs them to do the actual heavy lifting?
im interested to see how geelong go.

No two ways about it Tassie's inclusion will hit us harder than any other team.

Perhaps, but worth remembering the same was said when GWS and GC came in.

We won flags with multiple Suns being key to them and have had good trade relations with them both ways, now GWS have contributed heavily to our rejuvenation this time around.

Swings and roundabouts - expansions create opportunities for smart operators sooner or later and we are smart operators. Then there's SOS.

Could be a couple of mid-age overflows from Tassie desperate to get back to Melbourne who end up contributing to our 2032 flag.

Suggestion is 28 , so you would expect significant restrictions 2026-27, that’s 3 years we can set up our list with the draft unrestricted , that’s alot of opps , fully expect this year we may trade out 1-2 eg jack graham to pic an extra r2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plan with Tassie is to load the team up with picks, with rules put in place that X amount of them have to be traded for established players. Could actually work quite well for teams rebuilding at this time, as they'll get overs for older blokes.
13-15 of our older blokes that are on the list now will all be retired by the time Tassie plays its 1st game

About the attracting players to Hobart question. The media are already attacking the place smh, great sell dumbasses. Look at Jeremy Cameron, he went to Geelong because hes a country kid who enjoys fishing & hunting, snorting coke & clubbing wasn't the priority. If this is to work sell them the Geelong model, because quite frankly I dont see much of a difference between Geelong & Hobart.

just got the federal and state funding commitments - looks like its a go.

They should build a stadium with a roof though if they want to maximise its potential.
doesn't look like its going to have a roof, i guess the thinking is footy is in the winter and they can host concerts and stuff in the summer months. But no roof and right by the sea going to be pretty windy at times

doesn't look like its going to have a roof, i guess the thinking is footy is in the winter and they can host concerts and stuff in the summer months. But no roof and right by the sea going to be pretty windy at times
Why fix the hospital issues in this country when you can build another stadium

About the attracting players to Hobart question. The media are already attacking the place smh, great sell dumbasses. Look at Jeremy Cameron, he went to Geelong because hes a country kid who enjoys fishing & hunting, snorting coke & clubbing wasn't the priority. If this is to work sell them the Geelong model, because quite frankly I dont see much of a difference between Geelong & Hobart.

Massive difference between Geelong and Tassie.
My ex was originally from Adelaide. Upon moving to Melbourne she'd never been to so many concerts, events, festivals, clubs, exhibits, etc. We broke up and she'll never consider going back to (R)Adelaide cos it's now so fu@king boring in comparison. AFL player's get invited to every event known to man, where if they play their cards right they can pot the crème de la crème us mere mortals maybe get a few times (because they were wasted or self esteem was low that night or we were just on a hot streak).

Player a) drafted to Tasmania wakes up Sunday morning next to Cheryl the feral who he picked up at the local sheep shearing festival after a few too many Sherberts at the local pub (capacity 100). Thinks what am I gonna do today since it's so freezing and nothing else to do he jumps on his social media. There he sees Player b) his old teammate from Vic Metro taken 30 spots lower than him in the draft who's posts shows him at the Ed Sheeran concert with a model he picked up from the Melbourne Fashion Week, then he scrolls and sees pics of him at the Grand Prix, Australian Open, Melbourmne Cup...... etc. Player a) messages his manager with his shivering hands and goes Jack Riewoldt was full of sh!t this place is worse than Ballarat when can I Jason Horne- Francis my contract. GET ME OUT OF THIS HOLE YESTERDAY!!!! Geelong appeals to country kids, has surfing, fishing but they're only a short drive from everything Melbourne has when it suits. No kids will wanna stay in Tassie. Even worse will be if the AFL has a team in Darwin kids will leave in droves.

About the attracting players to Hobart question. The media are already attacking the place smh, great sell dumbasses. Look at Jeremy Cameron, he went to Geelong because hes a country kid who enjoys fishing & hunting, snorting coke & clubbing wasn't the priority. If this is to work sell them the Geelong model, because quite frankly I dont see much of a difference between Geelong & Hobart
Hobart has got MONA and Dark Mofo. Use them.

As someone suggested to me a while ago. Black uniform Red crosses as jumper; (away games black cross) Run sideways through the banner; Theme song from Blixa Bargeld; Nick Cave and you couldn't keep Melburians away.

Every single thing the Suns did failed.
F the focus groups that came up with the gold coast surf life saver inspired putrid colours and GWS puke song. Time for the Anti Suns...and a new world order..

My ex was originally from Adelaide. Upon moving to Melbourne she'd never been to so many concerts, events, festivals, clubs, exhibits, etc. We broke up and she'll never consider going back to (R)Adelaide cos it's now so fu@king boring in comparison. AFL player's get invited to every event known to man, where if they play their cards right they can pot the crème de la crème us mere mortals maybe get a few times (because they were wasted or self esteem was low that night or we were just on a hot streak).

Player a) drafted to Tasmania wakes up Sunday morning next to Cheryl the feral who he picked up at the local sheep shearing festival after a few too many Sherberts at the local pub (capacity 100). Thinks what am I gonna do today since it's so freezing and nothing else to do he jumps on his social media. There he sees Player b) his old teammate from Vic Metro taken 30 spots lower than him in the draft who's posts shows him at the Ed Sheeran concert with a model he picked up from the Melbourne Fashion Week, then he scrolls and sees pics of him at the Grand Prix, Australian Open, Melbourmne Cup...... etc. Player a) messages his manager with his shivering hands and goes Jack Riewoldt was full of sh!t this place is worse than Ballarat when can I Jason Horne- Francis my contract. GET ME OUT OF THIS HOLE YESTERDAY!!!! Geelong appeals to country kids, has surfing, fishing but they're only a short drive from everything Melbourne has when it suits. No kids will wanna stay in Tassie. Even worse will be if the AFL has a team in Darwin kids will leave in droves.
Geelong's got surf sure...so has Tassy.. for those with cojones

Exactly my point, You're not attacking a DeGoey type to Hobart in a million years but you can attract a Jeremy Cameron who enjoys fishing and hunting and country lifestyle

Exactly my point, You're not attacking a DeGoey type to Hobart in a million years but you can attract a Jeremy Cameron who enjoys fishing and hunting
You really think thats true ??

Your not asking them to spend the rest of their lives there and give up everything they have

Do you really believe Cameron only went there for the fishing and fresh air ?
The cattle / Cows he has on his property seem to fetch 100% more when sold than any other person that raises them and coincidentally Hawkins also does extremely well from farming

De Goey on $800k a year , You really think he wouldnt move for $1.2 mil over 5 years and still get to come to vic every 2nd week
Cash is king mate and $$$$$ dictate what people do these days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back