Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, a bit of division for a second year player! I think he'll be a star for sure given how he's tracking, happy with the recruit. Second year into the system and being a small forward, he's not going to get his 20p every game but he's definitely showing enough with the game style to keep the development coming. To be honest I think the pressure acts for small forwards, including Butler and Costanga, are just as important as possessions. Got a lot of tricks and will only get better with the AFL experience from here on in, looking forward to seeing how he progresses each year

At the time we were also chasing Bennell for the X factor and probably would have used the Rioli pick to get him. Think we made the right decision going to the draft and Rioli.
Bullet dodged!!!!!

Reckon that's why he didn't win, it just looked as if he were strolling into an open goal, similar to Dusty v WCE from the angle.
Bit of ignorance too
People think wet = harder
Which works in the bedroom but not always on the football field

If you just compare the kicks yeah that's fine but it's everything Rioli did to produce the goal that makes it so special

People were calling for Cyrils head. I saw many debates on the main board where Hawthorn supporters had to defend what he was doing.
I think McAveney has a bit to answer for when it comes to cousin Cyril.

Daniel may never be a huge possesion winner Neither is Cyril but the Hawthorn bloke is probably the best Defensive sml fwd in the game but he still manges his 30 40 goals a season.

The biggest difference between Cyril and Daniel is their aerobic capacity. motor is something Cyril has struggled with but Daniel as a junior is elite.
In fact his elite attributes of pace agility and motor to have all three is not a common thing. So to have all three and the skills to go with it fmd it all spells potential.
I argued with someone about Ablett i think Rioli in the long term will not be a permanent fwd but a mid, he will never have Abletts core strength and thus wont be as good a contested player but he will be inside/out and they are the most valuable.

I will overide all this by saying he has to get there first and in this game there are never guarantees it will happen.It is why i debate so hard about potential gun v actual gun.
I dont think anyone would argue as a supporter group we have been very quick to put players up there.

Can I just add a couple of other vital ingredients? He appears to have genuine focus & determination as well. Put altogether just gives me reason for excitement. But I agree with you at this stage it's all potential until he brings it all together during his first 3-5 years....(I'm trying to keep a lid on my excitement though;)).....

Bit of ignorance too
People think wet = harder
Which works in the bedroom but not always on the football field

If you just compare the kicks yeah that's fine but it's everything Rioli did to produce the goal that makes it so special
That's what's pissed me off, he beat multiple opponents in the air and on the ground, then at then end had a guy running at him and another chasing him as he slotted it through. Robbed.

I know this is Dan's thread, but what really gets me excited is the prospect of seeing players with Dan's and Shai's attributes playing together. These two could be one of the best duos since..........I don't know when & I'm sure they will just thrive on pushing eachother & playing together......Drool.....

I know this is Dan's thread, but what really gets me excited is the prospect of seeing players with Dan's and Shai's attributes playing together. These two could be one of the best duos since..........I don't know when & I'm sure they will just thrive on pushing eachother & playing together......Drool.....
I hear you, in the meantime Rioli and Butler have a nice partnership developing.

Rioli set to sign new contract at Richmond :praying:

Dusty can sit next to him so he can see how it's done. #hurryupDusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Daniel Rioli in 2 years playing midfield and collecting 20 touches a game and kicking 30-40 goals as a midfielder similar to a peter matera type mut matera was more a wingman than mid but that was those days today they are all mids, Shai will take daniel Rioli's position in the fwd line and we still have stengle to come.

Another thing that i noticed in watching the games at the ground but more on tv is that daniel has grown, Looking at Houli and Rioli side by side rioli looked 1-2 cm taller Butler is 182 castagna 181 houli 181 Daniel looked tallest of the lot but is listed at 179. My gues is he will be around 182/183

If i was advising daniel on who to watch to improve his game it would be treloar as he certainly has the potential to be as dynamic ar him playing in the midfield in 2-3 years time

I see Daniel Rioli in 2 years playing midfield and collecting 20 touches a game and kicking 30-40 goals as a midfielder similar to a peter matera type mut matera was more a wingman than mid but that was those days today they are all mids, Shai will take daniel Rioli's position in the fwd line and we still have stengle to come.

Another thing that i noticed in watching the games at the ground but more on tv is that daniel has grown, Looking at Houli and Rioli side by side rioli looked 1-2 cm taller Butler is 182 castagna 181 houli 181 Daniel looked tallest of the lot but is listed at 179. My gues is he will be around 182/183

If i was advising daniel on who to watch to improve his game it would be treloar as he certainly has the potential to be as dynamic ar him playing in the midfield in 2-3 years time
Beautifully summed up...
Yes noticed Rioli's height increase this year as well...has a hint of lankiness about him indicating growth...
Once filled out...look out!

Beautifully summed up...
Yes noticed Rioli's height increase this year as well...has a hint of lankiness about him indicating growth...
Once filled out...look out!
So he'll be closer to being a Maurice than a Cyril????

As has been said, when I look at Dan he looks to me to have all the attributes of a quality AFL mid - goal kicking, with great defensive ability.

His speed, athleticism and endurance means he can run with mids. Add in that he is growing and looks to be bale to put on muscle and he will be the right size. Good to great skills and attacks the game, is not frightened to take anyone one. And, best of all, he seems to have natural leadership ability and a fantastic attitude. Watching the game he looks almost like an on field leader rather than youngster learning his craft. If he keeps developing we might have one of the biggest steals for a few years, and a leader for our future.

Just got to acknowledge that there are many traps on the way to getting there. Still I'm very hopeful on this guy.

and to think, we almost didnt have him

2015 afl draft

1 13 Matthew Kennedy Greater Western Sydney Collingullie-Glenfield Park RFNL Academy player; Richmond's bid matched with picks 34 and 40[128]
1 14 Eric Hipwood Brisbane Lions Aspley NEAFL Academy player; Richmond's bid matched with picks 36 and 37[128]
1 15 Daniel Rioli Richmond North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup

very close to having Kennedy or Hipwood instead, which would have been a pretty decent pick as well.
I think the club knew they would get Rioli. We just bid to keep both GWS and Brisbane honest. They were always going to take the bait....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back