Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

"We think he will play most of the year but he probably won't play round one would be our gut feel, but he isn't out of the question there just yet," Balme said.
Thats the full quote from Balme.
He isnt 100% ruled out. But who cares anyway. Getting players ready for round 1 is massively over hyped IMO.
I wouldnt pay attention to what Balmy says, when at geelong he said a player would be back in two weeks every week for 16 weeks.From what I gather ,the operation didnt oi as perfectly as expected and that they're trying to stay positive

The usual suspects will be lining up already with this injury as an excuse for why his form drops.
My bet is he returns by about round three and has his best season yet!
At least you will be right either way with this statement...

A His form continues to improve as per the last 2 years... you picked it.

He doesn't quite improve, people RIGHTLY point out IT COULD be due to the injury... you picked it.

Honestly, we could not have been luckier with the time or position for this injury. I don't mind if we don't see him until round 7, and would be surprised if we see him before round 4.

We all love Daniel, and what he did against GWS was huge, but in all honesty he is far from irreplaceable. We've got Bolton, Higgins and Stengle lining up for a small forward role. We've got Moore as a mobile forward option and Griffiths/Hampson as tall options to play fwd/ruck or ruck/fwd.

I'm not suggesting we're better with him out of the team, but injuries happen and this one shouldn't hurt us too much. If anything, it will make us better come mid-season because we can try a few different looks up forward and that will only create more competition for spots in the forward half.

Cheers.

Dave P.

By that article i'd day we'd be lucky to see him back within the first month. Balmey always does this stuff.
I dont care if he has to take the year off as long as it doesnt affect his playing future and he retains his pace.My view is that he will move into the midfield soon, and be close to our best player in 5 years if fit.He's more like Maurice than Cyril.

I wouldnt pay attention to what Balmy says, when at geelong he said a player would be back in two weeks every week for 16 weeks.From what I gather ,the operation didnt oi as perfectly as expected and that they're trying to stay positive

It could be to throw our round 1, 2 etc opponents off with their planning. Although it' only 1 player, cant' think why else he'd do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"We think he will play most of the year but he probably won't play round one would be our gut feel, but he isn't out of the question there just yet," Balme said.
Thats the full quote from Balme.
He isnt 100% ruled out. But who cares anyway. Getting players ready for round 1 is massively over hyped IMO.

Going on Towno and Jack Graham, just need him fit from R22 onwards.

Honestly, we could not have been luckier with the time or position for this injury. I don't mind if we don't see him until round 7, and would be surprised if we see him before round 4.

We all love Daniel, and what he did against GWS was huge, but in all honesty he is far from irreplaceable. We've got Bolton, Higgins and Stengle lining up for a small forward role. We've got Moore as a mobile forward option and Griffiths/Hampson as tall options to play fwd/ruck or ruck/fwd.

I'm not suggesting we're better with him out of the team, but injuries happen and this one shouldn't hurt us too much. If anything, it will make us better come mid-season because we can try a few different looks up forward and that will only create more competition for spots in the forward half.

Cheers.

Dave P.

Yep just get him right however long it takes. Perfect opportunity for someone to step up for an available spot

Great to see him running again. Will ramp it up over the next few weeks, by March will be going full pelt.

Round 3-4 return is my guess, to ensure he has enough time to put k's in the legs.

Higgins or Bolton to replace him? Both having impressive preseasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back