Player Watch #17 James Jordon

Remove this Banner Ad

James Jordan.jpg

Player Profile:

At just 22 James Jordon can call himself a premiership player after appearing in the 2021 Grand Final for Melbourne as the medical substitute, the same year he made his debut for the Dees. The midfielder was initially taken as pick 33 in the 2018 draft and joined the Sydney Swans on the opening day of the 2023 AFL Free Agency Period. He played just 18 games in 2023 with the hopes to improve and grow in the red and white.

James Jordn
Born: 20 December 2000
Draft: 2018
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers >> Melbourne

Last edited:
Welcome JJ! I hope this is win-win for you and for us. I was keen on you months ago, but that was partly because I was imagining you as a more inside player than I'm now hearing you are.

If nothing else, I'm confident whether you play seniors or VFL our reserves are going to be stronger in 2024.

Interesting hearing Charlie Gardner say that we were interested in Jordon in his draft year. We didn't grab him and instead ended up with McInerney with our next pick. Now the two of them will likely end up part of the same wing rotation. Funny how things work out.

294e428c70f13e668cb85eee62f02d0f.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He committed before Adams. Changed things quite a bit. Gonna be a fierce preseason!
Same age as Stephens just 4 months older. Has played 65 games, about 20 more than Stephens. Is in that good age group of our young midfield. We got him for free and netted pick in the 40s and an extra 1st rounder in next years draft(which is always stronger than this years draft) minus our pick 25 this year. More finals experience. So really an upgrade on Stephens with some steak knives.
Altogether not bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jj is the only recruit I'm not certain as to what role he plays. Would much prefer errol and Campbell on the wings
Can see Campbell and JJ on the wings more than Errol. Errol is damaging kicking inside 50. Whether it is on the wings or in the middle, his decision making and accurate pin point kicking is just ...............
JJ is taller at 187 so expecting him to get a fair share of marks.
It will be interesting how we structure up.

Can see Campbell and JJ on the wings more than Errol. Errol is damaging kicking inside 50. Whether it is on the wings or in the middle, his decision making and accurate pin point kicking is just ...............
JJ is taller at 187 so expecting him to get a fair share of marks.
It will be interesting how we structure up.
How the team appears on paper and how we structure on the ground is often quite different. We quite often play 7 or 8 behind the "centreline" and fewer "forward". As you say, Errol is notionally a winger but his heat map has him bobbing up literally almost everywhere. CBAs are the only time we structure up traditionally.
It will be very interesting indeed.

How the team appears on paper and how we structure on the ground is often quite different. We quite often play 7 or 8 behind the "centreline" and fewer "forward". As you say, Errol is notionally a winger but his heat map has him bobbing up literally almost everywhere. CBAs are the only time we structure up traditionally.
It will be very interesting indeed.

I'm hoping this changes with Grundy in the side providing better first touch opportunities to our mids.

We've basically grabbed the best depth on-baller from one of the strongest couple of midfields in the comp. He's more of an inside player than he was allowed to be at Melbourne, who often shunted him out to wings and flanks where he was serviceable. At Casey he was a clearance winner, which he just wasn't asked to do for the Dees

I think he's very likely to slot straight in and help us at the coalface as a sort of hybrid inside/outside midfielder. He's not a pure ball winning big-bodied stat pig, but he's probably going to improve our ability to win the ball and extract it from stoppages, reasonably hard at the contest, keeps his head in traffic, with also some run and carry. I suppose in terms of rotation he may take some pressure off Rowbottom in the real guts of the contest, and maybe help allow Warner to run off a bit more.

I think it's a really good get, especially for the low price of Nothing.

Last edited:
Still not sure how we find room for him in the team but absolutely think he can be a valuable player. Also can't help thinking for him to volunteer to come he must have been told something promising about getting games because he was already on the fringes at Melbourne and getting a decent number of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back